Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Every had a good bad day? Sold our Ranger RT188 today

Man was that ever hard! She went to a good home in North West Arkansas! And, she went to good people. So glad it wasn't some punk kid with a jacked up truck and a bad attitude!

We went out this morning and got our lines wet. At least I out fished the other guy for a change! My son is usually my co-angler and he almost always out fishes me!

Was actually the only time I really didn't want to sell something, but sticking to the game plan!

While at the ramp some guy walked up while they were looking at the boat and starting ranting and raving about how he had owned one of these and he would be back in one soon! He went on and on about how that was the best boat he had ever had. He practically sold the boat for me. And really made me want to keep it that much more! Crazy. The buyer asked what I paid for him to "show up" like that. It was hilarious how much he said about how great a boat they are.

Since taking this new job, the boat has not seen the water very often, that bugged me. Going back a ways, there is a post about taking this new job. Knowing what I know now, I would not take the new job. It is a great job, doing what I love doing-designing tooling and fixtures on Pro-Engineer (creo-cad). But, I miss the lake WAY more than I thought I would--way more.

We are doing the Dave Ramsey thing, if you know of him, probably enough said (if not I suggest you google him and look into it)!

In the last 3 weeks we have sold my 2005 F350 Diesel Dually 4x4 Crew Cab (my dream truck since I seen the first one), my wife's 2011 Caddy SRX (her dream car) and our 2017 Ranger RT188 (my dream boat). We will be debt free except for the house in October! We have vehicles to drive, just not nearly as nice. Also refinancing the mortgage to a 15 year note, that according to the game plan will be paid off in 7-8 years. We will see. Don't know what we will do with all the extra money? hahaha

Well, I guess it is back to the old 14 foot john boat and trolling motor that my brother and I share for now! (how big of a engine can I put on that thing anyways!? :-0)

Looking forward to being in the position to buy a good boat and actually pay cash for it -- but it may be a few years!

In the meantime if anyone needs a fishing partner.....nudge nudge....just saying!
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

2. Member
    If you stick with Dave Ramsey, in the long run you will be so much better off and you'll have a boat that's paid for. For years I had many toys, none paid for and struggled. I can't say I stuck with his plan 100% but listening to him all the time certainly helped. Now I have a lot of toys all paid for. Good luck!!!

Have a good one and thank God for it!

Congratulations on the sale of your boat and on committing to the Dave Ramsey program. We did the program in 1998 and it took us 2 years to get out of debt, everything but the home mortgage, and we have paid cash for everything since.
    We retired to our lake house in 2009 completely debt free and it is a great feeling. As Dave says, “Live like no one else” so you can live like no one else.
    Again congratulations, you are doing a very smart thing.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

The Dave Ramsey Program would save a lot of people serious financial problems if used.

I commend you for the insight and discipline to use it and make small sacrifices now for the rewards you will reap later. I believe it is even more important now with the layoffs the airline industry, leisure travel industry, food service industry and others we are seeing and will see. This is far from over. It is a smart move. Another boat will come along.. . Being debt free is a feeling you won't believe.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

5. Member
    Good and bad all in one. You will be on the right financial path soon and a new boat will come later. Congrats. Wish I was closer, we could go fishin'.

I commend you for sticking with the plan but I've seen so many people that were here today and then gone the next. Life is too short for me and I couldn't and wouldn't stick to that plan......ever. This is why I commend you in your efforts and hope in the end you are better off.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

7. Member
    Best wishes on it!

If you were close ot me I would offer a seat to you.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

8. Member
    Good for you! It was just a little over a year ago that I sold my bass boat to pay off the rest of my debt after listening to Dave Ramsey. I nearly cried as I watched the guy tow it down my street and turn the corner out of my sight, no joke, I almost cried right there in my front yard. I fished from the bank or out of my inflatable pontoon boat in the mean time. Now I’m looking at paying cash for an rt188 or possibly an rt198 and it will be hard to hand that cash over, but I will not feel guilty about it one bit. Stay on your plan and you will be back in a PAID FOR boat before you know it! Good luck!

9. Member
    way to make sacrifices for your family, my wife and I did the Dave ramsey plan for yrs. now we enjoy a 100% debt free life. vehicles, boat, and house are all paid for, and I'm only 47yr old. oh and I'm a garbage man. we lived like no other so now we can live and give like no other. I like to say now I work for the bmv and insurance company..best of luck to ya, just remember you can always fish somewhere and there will always be a boat waiting for you when your debt free.

10. Member
    I bet that 05 6.0 Powerstroke is what put you in to debt, those are a never ending money pit.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    In the last 3 weeks we have sold my 2005 F350 Diesel Dually 4x4 Crew Cab (my dream truck since I seen the first one), my wife's 2011 Caddy SRX (her dream car) and our 2017 Ranger RT188 (my dream boat). We will be debt free except for the house in October! We have vehicles to drive, just not nearly as nice. Also refinancing the mortgage to a 15 year note, that according to the game plan will be paid off in 7-8 years. We will see. Don't know what we will do with all the extra money? hahaha
    Now that is gazelle intense! You’ll never regret this short-term sacrifice. Well done

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    I commend you for sticking with the plan but I've seen so many people that were here today and then gone the next. Life is too short for me and I couldn't and wouldn't stick to that plan......ever. This is why I commend you in your efforts and hope in the end you are better off.
    I don’t want to discount your personal experiences here, I just wanted to point out that generally speaking, we tend to live pretty long and (somewhat) healthy lives these days. The sheer amount of stress reduction and freedom you feel not being tied down to mountains of debt and payment after payment is hard to describe. It is simply life changing. Absolutely worth a few years of sacrifice. The earlier you make this sacrifice, the more years you have to enjoy an even better life on the other end.

It also has the added benefit of changing the outlook for your entire family!

13. Member
    well said, I know I'll never be slave to the lender ever again. it's all about reducing risk. and changing your family tree. I never blinked an eye with the whole china virus because I have 0 risk. it's definitely life changing. dave ramsey is my hero

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I bet that 05 6.0 Powerstroke is what put you in to debt, those are a never ending money pit.
    . TRUTH
    2015 Ranger rt188/115 Etec

15. Member
    Sounds like you got things squared away. When I sold my tuffy 1760 osprey and f150 harley edition it was tough. They were like the comfy jeans you wear every day. 27% pay cut at USPS sent them down the road...
    Well you got rid of some vehicles so I guess you got some space. And maybe some free time. My thought it would be time for a "project". Look for some unused boat, but it for Next to free and work on it. You may end up with a boat you love.
    I have a few projects lined up. I got an old 70 hp. Merc a guy gave me. Sitting right now. I got a old Honda scooter a guy gave me, ( he actually gave me 2 scooters, I was unloading them in front of my house and a guy drove by and wanted the nicer one, was 800$ up quick!!) sitting in basement now, also got a 28 ft camper a guy gave me. Needs a little sprucing up, and a truck to tow it!! Was on a vacation last week to the st Lawrence river, saw a whole bunch of forgotten boat trailers. That would be a great project activity. Restore boat trailers.

First month without the payments has come and gone. WHAT?

Debt snowballed those 3 payments of sold vehicles onto the remaining vehicle, wow, putting those other 3 payments on that loan made a big dent quick!

Should be completely debt free, except the house, at the end of this month! Is that even possible?

The BAD: The old fishing bug has bitten......hard. Just got to power thru this....I hope it gets easier with time...this not being able to go fishing.
    I really do think it will make me enjoy the ability to fish when I get another boat that much more!
    Seeing all my fishing gear sitting there...well...its hard.

Thanks for all the kind words and stories! Very inspiring!
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

17. Member
    I commend you for your accomplishment. Great work.

When the time comes and everything but the house is paid for, start salting a little money back for a boat. A person needs some joy. The thing is that a person does not need a NEW, BIG, EXPENSIVE boat to fish and enjoy the recreation and sport.

I have a friend that bought an older aluminum bass boat with a 40 HP motor that runs and fishes great....for $3000. Yes it has some scratches, the motor is two stroke, the troller is 12 volt, it is only 16 feet long, etc. But it fishes great. And it is paid for...
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsessed View Post
    First month without the payments has come and gone. WHAT?

Debt snowballed those 3 payments of sold vehicles onto the remaining vehicle, wow, putting those other 3 payments on that loan made a big dent quick!

Should be completely debt free, except the house, at the end of this month! Is that even possible?

The BAD: The old fishing bug has bitten......hard. Just got to power thru this....I hope it gets easier with time...this not being able to go fishing.
    I really do think it will make me enjoy the ability to fish when I get another boat that much more!
    Seeing all my fishing gear sitting there...well...its hard.

Thanks for all the kind words and stories! Very inspiring!
    Well, you went and inspired me.....dang it.

Putting the RT up for sale November 1st. Lease is up on the F150 January 1st. Those two items are the only debt we currently have but after they are gone, it will be full speed ahead on the house! With all the Boeing upheaval in this State, we just can't count on my wife being with the company until retirement anymore. Sucks! Oh well, hopefully five years down the road and we're free and clear?!

Congrats and thanks for the motivation...err...I guess lol

8theB8,
    I watched your videos on the RT188 over, and over, and over, again and again, when I was looking at purchasing a new boat.
    Your videos were just awesome, the best ones I found on the RT188-hands down.
    You pulled the tape measure and had dimensions that no one else did.
    I am positive that when we get there, and look back, it will have been well worth it!

20. Member
    Appreciate it very much! That's the reason I did them, couldn't find what I wanted when shopping for my own and it was frustrating. Good luck in your endeavor! I'm actually getting push back on selling it from my wife lol

Why I love that woman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast