Thread: Belleau Wood

USA Belleau Wood

Never knew about this until today. Sounds like some very Brave & Honorable men.

"The battle lasted a month and was fought often times with bayonets. Advancing against well-emplaced German machine gun positions and suffering heavy losses, the Marines managed to push the Germans back and take their objectives."

https://www.6thmarines.marines.mil/U...mustard%20gas.

Sounds like they plowed they way for the freedom we have today and established Americas military might.

2. Member
    Semper Fi !

3. Member
    Belleau Woods is where the Marine Corps got the nickname "Teufelshunde"....Devils Dogs..... fyi

semper fi ooorrraahhhh

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc03 View Post
    Belleau Woods is where the Marine Corps got the nickname "Teufelshunde"....Devils Dogs..... fyi

semper fi ooorrraahhhh
    Thats the part I am surprised I never heard about till now.

"We got our nickname Devil Dogs from official German reports which called the Marines at Belleau Wood Teufel Hunden. It has been said that this nickname came about from Marines being ordered to take a hill occupied by German forces while wearing gas masks as a precaution against German mustard gas. While the Marines fought their way up the hill, the heat caused them to sweat profusely, foam at the mouth and turned their eyes bloodshot, and at some points the hill was so steep it caused the Marines to climb up it on all fours. From the Germans' vantage point, they witnessed a pack of tenacious, growling figures wearing gas masks, with bloodshot eyes and mouth foam seeping from the sides, advancing up the hill, sometimes on all fours, killing everything in their way. As the legend goes, the German soldiers, upon seeing this spectacle, began to yell that they were being attacked by "dogs from hell."

If you guys ever get the chance watch the movie The Lost Battalion starring Ricky Schroeder, it's an excellent WWI film thats based on a true story.

6. Member
    same here, I dont think the newsists knew what they were really doing with this story is making many of us go learn yet another very patriotic story, wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Gsmith223 View Post
    Never knew about this until today. Sounds like some very Brave & Honorable men.

"The battle lasted a month and was fought often times with bayonets. Advancing against well-emplaced German machine gun positions and suffering heavy losses, the Marines managed to push the Germans back and take their objectives."

https://www.6thmarines.marines.mil/U...mustard%20gas.

Sounds like they plowed they way for the freedom we have today and established Americas military might.

7. Member

Quote Originally Posted by usmc03 View Post

semper fi ooorrraahhhh

9. Banned
    Is this the cemetery the CIC call casualties losers and suckers. I too had never heard of it until now. And for those that say I’m trolling even Fox confirmed it.

10. Member
    As a Marine, visiting Belleau Woods is on my bucket list. 2X stationed on Oki allowed me a trip to Iwo Jima.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDN-O View Post
    Is this the cemetery the CIC call casualties losers and suckers. I too had never heard of it until now. And for those that say I’m trolling even Fox confirmed it.
    I Really doubt he said that. Even a non Trump supporter that was there said it never happened.