1989 Mercury XR4 150 HP #OC149677 - Will not start

I have the above stated motor that will not start. I replaced the fuel pump, but it seems fuel is not releasing from the carburetors. the primer bulb will stay pressurized. All cylinders are receiving a spark and have great compression. I assuming the carbs may need to be cleaned/rebuilt, then synced and linked? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Member
    The carbs pretty simple , very little parts in those, most of the time u can get away with just a cleaning. Next time take the air box off and watch ur carbs as u pump the primer bulb and look for gas running out of carb

3. Member
    enrichner working ?????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Merc2.4 View Post
    The carbs pretty simple , very little parts in those, most of the time u can get away with just a cleaning. Next time take the air box off and watch ur carbs as u pump the primer bulb and look for gas running out of carb
    I pulled the air box off and pumped the primer bulb, there was no gas running out of the carb.

enrichner working ?????
    I think so? gas dribbles out of it, not a spray or anything like that.

Any more information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

5. Member
    inlet needles stuck , pull main jets see if fuel comes out when pump bulb
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Doesn’t sound fuel related if the carbs turn out clean.. Have you checked for spark? Is this a motor you have owned and it was working and then will no longer start?
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

7. Member
    #1 has spark

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    inlet needles stuck , pull main jets see if fuel comes out when pump bulb
    I think the inlet needles were stuck/dirty. Cleaned up carbs, new fuel pump and lines, as well as carb gaskets. fired right up as soon as key was turned. Thanks for all the help!!

9. Member
    Carb seats or needle mite be wore out and tryin to stick. If it does it again just get the kits

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRETT View Post
    I think the inlet needles were stuck/dirty. Cleaned up carbs, new fuel pump and lines, as well as carb gaskets. fired right up as soon as key was turned. Thanks for all the help!!