camping newbie with 5th wheel questions

Hey Guys-

I have a friend who has a little 1997 Terry 21L5B 21' fifth wheel that she wants to get rid of. Her dad had a stroke a few years ago, and the camper has been sitting in a storage lot for maybe 10 years. It seems dry inside, no musty smell or obvious water damage, looks clean, except for the dust of sitting.

What do I need to do to get this thing back in usable shape? Her had taken the wheels off and stored them inside the camper, so they might get me to a tire shop, but I'm still assuming 4 new tires and re-pack the hubs for starters. Do these types of trailers have deep cycle batteries? What about the AC unit, are they serviceable or are they like window units where they pretty much work or don't? How do you test and clean the water tank? sewage tanks?

I have plenty of truck, a new to me a few months ago 2014 GMC 2500HD, that has a goose neck hitch. Do the goose neck to 5th wheel adapaters work ok? I've never used a gooseneck or 5th wheel, so what do i need to know here?

I'm wanting to get this in shape, use it a starter, take a couple trips with the family, learn some stuff, then upgrade to a bigger trailer in a year or two.

school me- tell me what you wish you had known with your first camper, safety tips, etiquette, gear I will need, etc...

any responses appreciated, no matter how dumb and obvious they may seem!

2. Member
    Sanitize the water system. Just use a search engine to find out the process. Check the propane system for any leaks.

3. Member
    Definitely do the tires and bearing pack. Check your battery (yes it should have one). Check the furnace and hot water heater, make sure the intakes and exhausts are clean (dirt daubers and spiders love them). Check the outside door behind the fridge, to make sure its clean. Is the fridge a 1,2 or 3 way (propane, 12v, and 110v)? The hot water heater may be a 2 way system (110v and propane). You will want to check them all. When your battery is good to go, check the lights. Visually check the ac in and out to make sure it hasn't filled up with leaves or the like. Walk the floor and check for soft spots. Visually check the roof, I wouldn't go on it unless it has a ladder, otherwise it may not be rated for walking on. If you have to get on the roof, you have to, but avoid it as much as possible. Check your water system. It will consist of 2 systems; The city water hookup (hose attached and on) and the self-contained system. Try your faucets, shower and the toilet, to get water in all your lines and leave the water on a while. You want water coming out of the hot water faucets without blowing air, to fill the hot water heater. Don't turn on the HW weater till you do this, you can kill your element. Look under the rv for leaks. Listen for the water pump on the self-contained to come on without a draw, it indicates a leak. I'm probably rambling a bit here, and do it in what ever order you want.

Grey water you can leave open if attached to a sewer and you are ok, do not leave the black open. Only dump the black when leaving a campground or when it starts getting a load in it (the water leaves the solids and and can create a concrete like residue). Your ac is serviceable, but some won't work on them. Depending on the freon in it, it can be costly to repair. The good thing, the acs are easily replaced by someone with a little mechanical skill, but costs about $600 for a unit.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    Definitely do the tires and bearing pack. Check your battery (yes it should have one). Check the furnace and hot water heater, make sure the intakes and exhausts are clean (dirt daubers and spiders love them). Check the outside door behind the fridge, to make sure its clean. Is the fridge a 1,2 or 3 way (propane, 12v, and 110v)? The hot water heater may be a 2 way system (110v and propane). You will want to check them all. When your battery is good to go, check the lights. Visually check the ac in and out to make sure it hasn't filled up with leaves or the like. Walk the floor and check for soft spots. Visually check the roof, I wouldn't go on it unless it has a ladder, otherwise it may not be rated for walking on. If you have to get on the roof, you have to, but avoid it as much as possible. Check your water system. It will consist of 2 systems; The city water hookup (hose attached and on) and the self-contained system. Try your faucets, shower and the toilet, to get water in all your lines and leave the water on a while. You want water coming out of the hot water faucets without blowing air, to fill the hot water heater. Don't turn on the HW weater till you do this, you can kill your element. Look under the rv for leaks. Listen for the water pump on the self-contained to come on without a draw, it indicates a leak. I'm probably rambling a bit here, and do it in what ever order you want.

Grey water you can leave open if attached to a sewer and you are ok, do not leave the black open. Only dump the black when leaving a campground or when it starts getting a load in it (the water leaves the solids and and can create a concrete like residue). Your ac is serviceable, but some won't work on them. Depending on the freon in it, it can be costly to repair. The good thing, the acs are easily replaced by someone with a little mechanical skill, but costs about $600 for a unit.
    All this. I'd only add to inspect the brakes.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys, that gives me some good info to start with-

6. Member
    One other thing, I always recommend that you take a 2 day trip somewhere not to far away for a shakedown run. A lot better to learn what you didn't take or need, than on a 2 week trip out west.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors