Smaller Lake near Torch

Wife an I are spending the weekend playing on Elk and Torch. But Sunday looks like the wind could really BLOW... Any suggestions on a smaller lake near there that holds decent smallie numbers?

intermediate is probably your best bet

if its not hard out of the north or south, torch is still pretty fishable if you stay on the lee shore and pick a launch on the same side

can run up and fish the south arm of charlevoix also

3. Member
    Walloon is a good choice as well.

4. Member
    We stayed on Duck Lake for a week. Green Lake is right across the road. Smallies in both but we did OK with the green ones too. Small lakes by comparison, near Interlochen.

5. Member
    Thanks for input but weekend was a bust. Found first spot on Torch Saturday morning. We caught a couple on first casts and hit spot lock.... and... DEAD. Steering went out on my Ultrex. Fished the day trying to drift but just took the fun out. Mostly knowing I need a boat for next two long weekends. We headed home Sunday morning.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleJ1929 View Post
    Thanks for input but weekend was a bust. Found first spot on Torch Saturday morning. We caught a couple on first casts and hit spot lock.... and... DEAD. Steering went out on my Ultrex. Fished the day trying to drift but just took the fun out. Mostly knowing I need a boat for next two long weekends. We headed home Sunday morning.
    Did the cables break or is the foot pedal froze?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    Did the cables break or is the foot pedal froze?
    Foot Pedal froze. They thought sensor board but nope. Either main board or steering head?? 2 weeks and $800 to find out. Ughh..

8. Member
    How old is your motor? If it’s under 3 yrs it should be under warranty, if it’s out of warranty it doesn’t hurt to call Minn Kota yourself and see what they can do for you. My motor did the same thing and it ended up being the steering motor, had to replace the whole housing, around 340.00 I think.Do not put a new circuit board in until they check the amp draw on the steering motor. A good motor I think only draws 1.5 amps and mine was over 5 amps. The Minn Kota repair center put a new circuit board in mine without checking the amps and because it was the steering motor that was bad, blew the new circuit board. According to Minn Kota the service manual states how many amps are correct so make sure they check.

that sucks, but mine did the exact same thing on thursday out of the blue. its at the shop already and being fixed under warranty. will have it by friday hopefully. same problem - steering motor.

mine is out of warranty in april, i think i will probably sell it and get another one just to keep the warranty going.

10. Member
    Great Idea Erie660. I will call them. It is out of warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Erie660 View Post
    How old is your motor? If it’s under 3 yrs it should be under warranty, if it’s out of warranty it doesn’t hurt to call Minn Kota yourself and see what they can do for you. My motor did the same thing and it ended up being the steering motor, had to replace the whole housing, around 340.00 I think.Do not put a new circuit board in until they check the amp draw on the steering motor. A good motor I think only draws 1.5 amps and mine was over 5 amps. The Minn Kota repair center put a new circuit board in mine without checking the amps and because it was the steering motor that was bad, blew the new circuit board. According to Minn Kota the service manual states how many amps are correct so make sure they check.

11. Member
    I had to buy another and install it before Houghton. Will try and fix old and keep as back up or sell.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude View Post
    that sucks, but mine did the exact same thing on thursday out of the blue. its at the shop already and being fixed under warranty. will have it by friday hopefully. same problem - steering motor.

mine is out of warranty in april, i think i will probably sell it and get another one just to keep the warranty going.

Quote Originally Posted by castforcash View Post
    Walloon is a good choice as well.
    I just finished a video from Walloon lake last week.

Far as where to fish. Clam is off of Torch and very fishable in bad windy days. South Arm of Charlevoix they took the ramp out at the south end, so you may have to travel a little to get down there now. I'm not sure what their plans are there. I drove by it Wednesday.
    Rule out Deer Lake. I fished it and the water was very green with little visibility and a very poor bite.

Walloon can get really rough too if your out on it, so be careful there. Bellaire might be doable.