1997 Nitro 896, 150 or 200?

I have a 1997 Nitro that I bought in 1998. It has a 1997 Merc 150EFI. The Merc gets the boat up quick, and it will run 59-61 on GPS, depending on the load. I don't desire any more performance, I am satisfied with the speed and hole shot. I am wanting to repower the boat because I'm going to retire in 3 years and it will get a lot of use. I want to do it now to get it paid for. I'm getting rid of the old Merc because the oil injection is out and I want better fuel ecconomy, and no more mixing fuel.

My question is, will the new Suzuki 150 do as well getting the boat up and running as the old 2 stroke Merc? My boat is rated for a 200, but I'd rather not spend the extra cash on a 200, when the current 150 does all I need. I know it's about 125# heavier. Does anybody have any experience with this or similar? I have no idea, I've never owned a 4 stroke. Thanks!

2. Member
    I can’t say about performance,but if you go with a Zuki,you’ll have to change out the wiring harness and shifter. Have you thought about a Mercury 150 4 stroke? They are a pretty hot little engine and much easier to mount.

3. Member
    I have considered it, haven't made my mind up for certain. I've never owned anything but Merc. All the commercial guys around my lake are running Suzuki's. I have had issues with my wiring harness and ignition, anyway.

4. Banned
    200 put what it's rated for dosen't mean you have to use it all but it there when you want it.

5. Member
    I sold my 99 896 savage in January ( original owner) with the 99 200 efi. Boat still hit 71 on gps. That is a heavy hull and great in rough water. The larger HP will give you better hole shot for shallow water and more low end performance in rough water conditions. If you run at WOT now at 60 mph, you could maintain that same speed with larger motor at lower rpm, thus possibly extending life of the motor