Thread: Vault Cap

Vault Cap

Was thinking about checking my hubs & refilling or repair if necessary. UFP says to replace the old cap with a new one. What would be wrong with cleaning and reusing the old cap. UFP doesn't explain why this is is necessary so thought I would ask some of the experts on here. Also, are there any local automotive/marine stores that carry the oil?
    Thanks

Please give some additional information; are these cool hubs or Vault Hubs?

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

They're Vault, not Ranger cool hubs. 2008 Marine Master trailer.
    These.......
    IMG_0679.jpgIMG_0680.jpg

This may be a little better. On the 6th picture it says to not reuse the cap. Just wondering why. Doesn't seem like just taking it off would hurt it, but I don't know.

Maybe this helps. Not too good with these pics & such, lol

IMG_0681.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. Member
    The caps are a friction fit and often wear of deform slightly with use and from removing and won't stay in well if reused in either case. It's possible to reuse, but Dexter recommends replacing so you don't lose a cap going down the highway (CYA type recommendation. I attempted to reuse and lost 2 of them on the road back when I had Vaults, decided it was worth the $10 or so a piece to have new ones on. That was even with the recommended Loctite on them.

Thanks Imoore . Mine haven't been touched in 12 years so thought I would refill and check every thing. I think mine are the 1.98" caps but will check with UFP to be sure. I haven't had a problem with mine so I can't complain or say anything bad about them. I read that they may be warped from use but didn't know if that was a real scenario or not.
    Again Thanks

8. Member
    No need to replace them unless the piston is cracked. Clean them & Change the o-rings. The interference fit will be fine (I have removed & re-installed my gold series caps 10 times w/out issue.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

I'm sure this may sound stupid but how can you tell if the piston is cracked. Wouldn't happen to have the part numbers for the O-rings?

I can only imagine it would show signs of leakage.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

11. Member
    Piston end has the vault symbol. Piston damage can be identified during cleaning after dissassembly. https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...rsn=a17f1a48_2

This video shows how to dissassemble & replace o-rings (video is for older gold series oul hubs...but the vault bearing caps work the same way.

I buy my UFP parts from Waymires....but didn’t have a link. Pacific trailer link for 1.980 O-Rings for 3500 lb axles (tapered spindle....they sell the larger size for 4200 lb axles too). https://www.pacifictrailers.com/prod...or-1-980-32742

Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Thanks for the video and all the info from you guys. He lost me on the Mobil 1 lube, thought it had to be none other than the hybrid oil, or are those different hubs. Mine doesn't have that plug for the oil.

13. Member
    Sorry for the confusion. The video was about an older gold series hub & bearing cap. I posted for reference on ‘how to dissassemble, clean, and install o-rings on the piston’. That is the only part of the video I was trying to reference. The vault hub uses hybrud oil & doesn’t have a fill hole in the hub.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

I thought that's what you were doing, just wondered about the Mobil oil.