1995 Javelin 400 SE 200HP Johnson venom prop and prop to pad recommendation

Need help on setup. Boat has a very hard time getting on plane. Current prop is Shooter 25p 4 blade. PTP is unknown. Full tank of gas and driver weight of 385

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    PTP ~3.5" below pad, Renegade 25 P depending on WOT RPMs maybe a 23 P Gade.

3. Member
    heavy boat--what is the rpms on take off? floored and tucked under? needs to be 3500 or more min. might need more venting? why full of fuel? lakes in Ind aren't that big?
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Could be several different things...

it could be something as simple as you not having the motor trimmed all the way down.

have you drastically changed your load/add weight, tackle , two, three, four people...with you being 385 and carrying a full tank of fuel if you add more gear or people your starting to fall under what I would call a heavy load.

95 hull has wood...is it water logged.

is the motor healthy.

condition of prop...even if its in good shape its three generations old as far as design technology regarding 4 blades and Evinrude made props. Since 95 Evinrude has released a Renegade and RX4. As ChampioNman mentioned the Renegade would be a good replacement for a Shooter.

prop to pad too deep...as mentioned buy ChampioNman 3.5 is a good starting point for all Javelin/Stratos (and various other boats) but I will add "typically" 4 blades will like to run .25-.5 higher than three blades. Just make sure you watch water pressure if raising the motor height.

Answering the next couple questions can help someone answer your questions easier...is this a boat you have had for years or is this a new to you boat. Also what is your experience level. New to boating, intermediate boating knowledge or been doing it for years and have knowledge.

I know I threw a lot out there but there is more than just a prop involved when having poor hole-shot.

JR19 and Champ bring up good suggestions and questions. I would add that since your rig has a Shooter prop it's probably the original and likely just worn out. You could consider having it rebuilt or just get a more modern prop. That said, you have told us nothing about what the issues actually are on hole shot and "trouble with holeshot" is just too vague. Chime back in on your post, answer questions, provide all the info you can about your set up, performance and history. We will help you get it figured out.

My boat is the same hull as yours and HP is stated the same but reality is different and I run a 26 Trophy. Reading your post again you are pushing a lot of weight with that thing so I feel you need a prop with venting so you can get the RPMs up.
    I'd start with getting a Michigan wheel Hub kit #200, this way you can try lots of different props that use a Mercury style hub. I say either a 24P or a 25P (if strong motor) Trophy. There are some other brands as well that will be more affordable that you could also try. You want to make sure they have adjustable ventilation. Check out Michigan Wheel props. Don't make the mistake of thinking because a prop looks fine that it is, they wear out and most repair shops do not put them back to spec.
    Last edited by tdt91; 09-06-2020 at 09:07 AM.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

6. Member
    My 400se with a 200hp rude ran good with a 25 renegade. 26 raker when I would lighten it up. about 3 and 3/4 below pad with a 8" plate

PTP was 6.5". Moved it to 3.5" and she runs great.. Thanks for all the help!!

Sweet Jeez Loueeeze! 6.5"