Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feedback requested on ALX rods

Have heard some good things about ALX rods. Anybody have any first hand experience with them? If so, what series are you using? Thanks for any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by WOW View Post
    Have heard some good things about ALX rods. Anybody have any first hand experience with them? If so, what series are you using? Thanks for any feedback.
    You might have better luck on the Rods and Reels board. Lots of discussion there specifically related to rods and reels.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    You might have better luck on the Rods and Reels board. Lots of discussion there specifically related to rods and reels.
    Thanks for the response

4. Banned
    Tip heavy, lack of sensitivity and poor cork quality is my experience with 2 rods. ymmv

edit: and apparently crappy shipping tubes
    Last edited by jbrew73; 09-05-2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: New info recently brought to my attention.

I have 2 Zolo McSmalls spinning rods, they are now one of my favorite rods for throwing small swimbaits (1/8 to 1/4 oz heads) and 1/8 oz Ned rigs. I primarily fish with braid and a leader with these rods. I've caught a lot of fish on them since I started using them including stripers and hybrids up to 10 lbs. So far they have held up well, no eyelet issues, no cork issues. And on top of everything they are a fun rod to fish with.

I also have a Zolo jerk bait rod (6' 9"), I haven't fished it much, but it is now my go to JB rod. Stouter tip that my other JB rods which I like for JB's especially deep divers. So far no issues but I need to put more fishing time on it.

I have one other ALX, the Zolo Trickster - I bought this rod specifically to throw #5 and #6 Shad Raps which it does a fine job. However I have busted out the ceramic insert on 2 tips, the original and then the replacement they sent me. They broke out fairly easily and IMO are just too fragile. I put a tip on that fits but is a bit oversized, it looks ugly but it holds up. Love the blank for Shad Raps, but I would not buy another because of the tip.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies

7. Member
    I have 3 Toadfaces, a Deputy, a Maestro and Diplomat in the Zolo line and I’ll be adding more.

When I asked here on bbc for recommendations for a combination Swim Jig/Bladed Jig rod, the ALX Zolo Deputy and Toadface were most often recommended. TW didn't show any in stock, so I ordered directly from ALX, after emailing Alex and asking which he'd recommend. 10% discount and free shipping for over $200 order. I added a couple of lure clips to bring order up to $200...need to install them on some rods that have none! So, I've been using it for throwing 1/2 oz bladed jigs, caught a few nice fish on it. I think it has exactly the right amount of tip and backbone for the purpose.

I'm happy with my purchase. I was a little shocked with the small line guides, but don't fish in icing conditions, and they work fine. If you object, you could easily order one from ALX with normal, bigger guides. There is some new technology in guides, and this is my 2nd rod with the new stuff. The other is a Lew's spinning rod, and the distance that thing will throw a 4" Dinger always amazes me.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

9. Member
    I bought my first one a few weeks ago and have a few trips on it. The construction seems as good or better than most other rod and I like the traditional reel seat that is used. I bought a rod for punching and I really like how it presents the bait and that the soft tip is great for detecting bites without the fish feeling you. I am a little concerned that it may not have the backbone I am used to as it bends farther down the blank when horsing a fish out of mats. I have not hooked a big one yet so I am reserving judgment until I do.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrew73 View Post
    Tip heavy, lack of sensitivity and poor cork quality is my experience with 2 rods. ymmv
    I find them to be perfectly balanced. For zolo, the sensitivity is great for the price. Between an IMX and GLX as a benchmark. Cork was bad on my dream but solid on my my others.

Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I have 2 Zolo McSmalls spinning rods, they are now one of my favorite rods for throwing small swimbaits (1/8 to 1/4 oz heads) and 1/8 oz Ned rigs. I primarily fish with braid and a leader with these rods. I've caught a lot of fish on them since I started using them including stripers and hybrids up to 10 lbs. So far they have held up well, no eyelet issues, no cork issues. And on top of everything they are a fun rod to fish with.

I also have a Zolo jerk bait rod (6' 9"), I haven't fished it much, but it is now my go to JB rod. Stouter tip that my other JB rods which I like for JB's especially deep divers. So far no issues but I need to put more fishing time on it.

I have one other ALX, the Zolo Trickster - I bought this rod specifically to throw #5 and #6 Shad Raps which it does a fine job. However I have busted out the ceramic insert on 2 tips, the original and then the replacement they sent me. They broke out fairly easily and IMO are just too fragile. I put a tip on that fits but is a bit oversized, it looks ugly but it holds up. Love the blank for Shad Raps, but I would not buy another because of the tip.
    Sorry to hear you felt that way. Tips as a whole see a lot of abuse. Chances are to have the same thing happen on the same rod - it's not the tip - something else is happening. It could happen, but the same exact tip is on your McSmalls and Jerkbait and they have had no issue. Trickster tips comes out of the same bin. Happy to help figure out what's up. Would love to see some pics. Feel free to DM or email them.

Ususally the ceramic inserts only have problems when baits are reeled up into them or they are jammed into things. We literally have thousands of tips that never see any issues. For what it's worth, we see the same exact performance on the Fuji and Alps tips we use for private label clients.
    Last edited by cidgrad; 09-05-2020 at 09:47 AM.

You forgot to add the actions are too "stiff" and we have bad shipping tubes. I believe those were from previous posts. Which models (not series) did you have again?

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    You forgot to add the actions are too "stiff" and we have bad shipping tubes. I believe those were from previous posts. Which models (not series) did you have again?
    promise and deputy. I don’t recall any shipping tube issue.

I’ve got the deputy and trickster. Probably best rods in that price range for sensitivity and durability. If the new enox series fishes as good as they look that would be incredible

promise and deputy. I don’t recall any shipping tube issue.
    Going off your past posts

16. Member
    I have a few of each series, came from Dobyns and Kistlers. I haven’t had any issues with any from Enox to Ikos very pleased with them all.

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    Sorry to hear you felt that way. Tips as a whole see a lot of abuse. Chances are to have the same thing happen on the same rod - it's not the tip - something else is happening. It could happen, but the same exact tip is on your McSmalls and Jerkbait and they have had no issue. Trickster tips comes out of the same bin. Happy to help figure out what's up. Would love to see some pics. Feel free to DM or email them.

Ususally the ceramic inserts only have problems when baits are reeled up into them or they are jammed into things. We literally have thousands of tips that never see any issues. For what it's worth, we see the same exact performance on the Fuji and Alps tips we use for private label clients.
    Could be that I am too harsh with that rod, sticking the rod in the water to try and free up snags and so on. But I fish cranks, including shad raps, banging them off cover, getting snagged often and it would be nice to have a tip that can handle it.

18. Member
    Thanks to all for the feedback !

They are all I use. I prefer the Zolo’s

I would also like to add .. Alex stands behind his product. I have about 15 of them..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast