G3 Bay 18 DLX issues getting to top speed.

I am running a bay 18 DLX with a 115 sho and a 13 1/4 x 20 Yamaha prop. I have owned this boat for two years and still cannot get it on plane as fast as it will go consistently. Sometimes it will jump right up as I trim and I will feel it lift onto the pad. Other times it will list to the left and not run strait and the only way to fix it is to repeatedly trim down then trim up while turning hard right. Almost feels like the prop won’t grab when it runs left and it just increases the rpms as I trim. The difference when I get it running right is about 5 mph. 45 vs 50. Does anyone have a similar boat and have you had a similar problem?

2. Member
    get a long straight edge and see if your hull has a hook in it. mine did from the factory. Also, does your boat have the small built in trim tabs on the bottom? i sent my boat back to the factory and they replaced the trim tabs. mine was a 22 DLX
    Last edited by Circusboy; 09-18-2020 at 12:38 PM.

3. Member
    Yes it does have the trim tabs. Did you have them ground off? My dealer checked the hull and said no issues.

4. Member
    My dealer called G3. G3 sent someone to pick up the boat and bring it back to the factory. They ground off the tabs and installed the newer bigger tabs. boat ran fine after that.

5. Member
    What was the original problem with your boat? Did it not run flat or porpoise really bad?

6. Member
    boat listed to the left under speed

7. Member
    Did you gain any speed when the problem was fixed? I’m going to take one of the mechanics on the water with me to show him. Hopefully he will be able to tell G3 there is a issue.

8. Member
    no speed gained, just a better ride. I did gain some speed when I added the Hyd jackplate, but not much.

9. Member
    Good to know, I already have an atlas 6 in jackplate. I only really use it when I’m trying to get into shallow water or when it’s really rough. The rest of the time it’s all the way down. Above 3 in it’s pretty much useless for running it will constantly blow out and has to be trimmed all the way down.

10. Member
    mine was the same way