Ranger Trail Wheel Lug Nuts

Rounded off lug nuts on my Ranger Trailer, managed to get a couple of them off, no success on the others. Any suggestions or ideas on removing the remaining nuts without cutting them off? Had a blowout a few weeks back so replaced both tires at local tire dealership, discovered this when the valve stem went bad in one and got ready to remove tire, suspect impact gun. I know, first lesson, find another dealership! Any ideas/solutions appreciated.

2. Member
    First thing is use a 6 point socket. More contact surface one each flat of the the nut. Several companies offer thin wall impact sockets. Don't use an impact wrench to loosen them. Use a long breaker bar with an extension. If the lug nuts are really rounded over then try a smaller metric socket. You may have to drive the socket on the nut but once the nut is removed you can drive the nut out of the socket for the other side. Hope this helps. Good luck.

If all else fails get you a Flank Drive Snap On 6 Point impact socket. Drive it on with a hammer if need be. Last resort, get a Dremel and small rotary file.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

4. Member
    Get a bolt and nut remover kit from Amazon. It will work!

John

5. Member
    Once you get them off/shear the rest of them and replace the studs, don't forget to Neversieze the threads before remounting the wheel (had the shop done that, you wouldn't be in this predicament).

6. Member
    6 point impact socket, breaker bar with cheater. If necessary smack them on the end with a BFH, heat them, shoot some Liquid Wrench around them then try again. Remember, lefty-loosy.

Don't hit the studs....
    Last edited by billnorman1; 09-03-2020 at 01:06 PM.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Once you get them off/shear the rest of them and replace the studs, don't forget to Neversieze the threads before remounting the wheel (had the shop done that, you wouldn't be in this predicament).
    Any lubricant on lugs is a bad idea. You will over-torque them and cause problems with the wheels. Torque properly and serviced regularly, there is no reason to apply anything to the threads. If they stick, you are not doing bearing service often enough.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Any lubricant on lugs is a bad idea. You will over-torque them and cause problems with the wheels. Torque properly and serviced regularly, there is no reason to apply anything to the threads. If they stick, you are not doing bearing service often enough.
    If using anti-seize, back off on the torque about 20%. It could very well be that if anti-seize was used here this wouldn't have happened. A VERY light coating.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Here's the best I've found for stripped lug nuts !!

https://www.amazon.com/ROCKETSOCKET-...QYVW6Y443K5MB9
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

10. Member
    I'm with CatFan on the no lube idea. Was taught that a long time ago, as it messes with the torque. Ironically, just had new tires put on and checked when home, must have been 150 ft/ lbs. Should have been 75 to 85 pounds on dry lugs. GL with your issue.

11. Member
    The Discount Tire store cross threaded my spare tire lug and it had to be snapped off. I am not going to use them any more. They stripped a lug nut on one of my trailer wheels before and also ruined one of my F150 rims. I did not know they had stripped one of the nuts on the main trailer and they took one off of the spare tire carrier and did not tell me. I found out the hard way when the mounting plate broke because it needs three lugs to hold it into place and evenly distribute the load the spare tire is putting on the spare tire carrier. My spare was just barely hanging on while I was going 70MPH down the interstate. A car honked at me and I looked back and saw what was going on and pulled over and took it off. Its hard to try to find someone not to use an impact gun, but Im going to try. Anyway sure won't use Discount Tire anymore.

12. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by TomzRanger View Post
    I'm with CatFan on the no lube idea. Was taught that a long time ago, as it messes with the torque. Ironically, just had new tires put on and checked when home, must have been 150 ft/ lbs. Should have been 75 to 85 pounds on dry lugs. GL with your issue.
    This is why I really despise someone else torquing.................my nuts! The tire houses never adjust the air for proper torque.
    2017 Phoenix 819

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Here's the best I've found for stripped lug nuts !!

https://www.amazon.com/ROCKETSOCKET-...QYVW6Y443K5MB9
    Have not used this exact product, but used a product that operated the same to remove a locking lug nut that was completely round on the outside. Works very well !!

14. Member
    BBC BrainTrust, thanks for all the responses. Feel I can tackle the issue with some confidence now! Will keep you posted. Thanks Again.

15. Scraps
    Another old school trick, heat the lug up, light a candle and pour the molten wax around the base of the lug. The heat will draw the wax into the threads. Never tried it but some guys swear by this trick.
    2017 Phoenix 819

16. Member
    UPDATE /// finally ordered the RocketSocket and received it, was skeptical initially BUT with R/S extraction socket, a 3" extension, and a 24" breaker bar it made quick work of removing the remaining rounded off lug nuts. Relief to finally see a plan come together thanks to your ideas and recommendations, a BIG THANKS!