New owner 2019 150 HO

I have a couple questions. bought a '19 Ranger Z518 with 16hrs on the motor. I don't understand trim assist. I read that I-trim will trim it for you as you accelerate. However, my digital gauge only offers trim assist on/off and I didn’t seem to see any difference with it on or off. Also, I don’t find any water pressure gauge on the Evinrude digital panel. I'm asking because the Ranger dial reads 0 although it obviously has pressure. Working with the deal on the Ranger gauge but just asking if the Evinrude is supposed to have one as well. I'll post pic so you know what digital panel I have.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    First with I Trim. You must trim the engine down to full negative trim to arm the the feature. Then as you accelerate I trim will trim the engine to a preset trim position. If you manually trim the engine during the acceleration or while on plane, you will disarm the automatic feature. You must return to idle in gear or neutral, and trim to full negative trim to rearm the feature.
    The nautilus gauge will only turn the feature on or off.

Water pressure display on the Nautilus gauge requires a digital water pressure sensor be installed on the engine AND turned on / activated via the Evinurse diagnostics program. On the particular page you have provided I see that engine temperature is displayed. The temperature display will be changed / superceded automatically to water pressure if the digital WP sender in installed and turned on. Sooooo either there is no sender installed or it is not turned on.

Ranger may have elected to install a manual WP gauge. You will need to inspect this installation and look for a small hose running from the gauge to the engine.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighare View Post
    First with I Trim. You must trim the engine down to full negative trim to arm the the feature. Then as you accelerate I trim will trim the engine to a preset trim position. If you manually trim the engine during the acceleration or while on plane, you will disarm the automatic feature. You must return to idle in gear or neutral, and trim to full negative trim to rearm the feature.
    The nautilus gauge will only turn the feature on or off.

Water pressure display on the Nautilus gauge requires a digital water pressure sensor be installed on the engine AND turned on / activated via the Evinurse diagnostics program. On the particular page you have provided I see that engine temperature is displayed. The temperature display will be changed / superceded automatically to water pressure if the digital WP sender in installed and turned on. Sooooo either there is no sender installed or it is not turned on.

Ranger may have elected to install a manual WP gauge. You will need to inspect this installation and look for a small hose running from the gauge to the engine.
    Thank you, that is helpful. When you say trim to a preset, do i need to set that or was that set at installation? Second, the power going to the Range WP Gauge had no tube, no water. So the sending unit must be elsewhere.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Late-model Rangers, which the OP has, are not equipped with the traditional water-line feed to a water pressure gauge. Instead, they use an electronic water pressure sensor in the bilge area, which has a wire that in this case would go to both the digital, NMEA-connected dash display and the secondary, analog dash gauge.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    Hi John,for my own interest how would this electronic water pressure sensor that Ranger fits into the bilge of the boat read the water pressure that the outboards water pump is supplying to the engine block?

Cheers,

Huey.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ici View Post
    Thank you, that is helpful. When you say trim to a preset, do i need to set that or was that set at installation? Second, the power going to the Range WP Gauge had no tube, no water. So the sending unit must be elsewhere.
    There is A factory default Itrim setting. This should be adequate but additional I trim profiles which are boat type specific (pontoon, offshore, bass) can be loaded via the EV diag dealer program.

Based on the comment below from jc2bg either the Ranger system is incompatible with the gauge or the gauge and the Ranger system are separate networks. I suspect incompatible WP message from the Ranger system.
    so if you want WP on Nautilus then you need to install the EV WP sender.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    Hi John,for my own interest how would this electronic water pressure sensor that Ranger fits into the bilge of the boat read the water pressure that the outboards water pump is supplying to the engine block?

Cheers,

Huey.
    There you have me, Huey. I try not to offer advice above my skill or knowledge level, but I didn’t want anyone in this thread to get off-track wondering where the water hose was that goes to the digital dash display, because there isn’t one. Precisely how the electronic sensor reads water pressure is above my pay grade, but they’ve been used on all the Rangers for nearly/around a decade. Got to be reading from something in the water jacket of the engine, but what I don’t know.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    No problem John and always looking to learn my end. We do not see many Ranger boats down here and I personally have never seen such a device, but yes I imagine the other end of this device must plumb into an outboard powerhead if it shows the user Water Pressure from the outboard. If not too much trouble and if you have a photo of this device fitted to the bilge I would interested in seeing it.

Cheers,

Huey.

9. Member
    So i went back out today. I lowered trim all the down and there was no iTrim option available. Only the trim assist and winterize are available on that screen. Still could not find any water pressure on the Evinrude gauge.

10. Member
    Please clarify- you trimmed down then drove the boat and I trim did not function?
    I recommend you have a dealer check via EV diag if I trim is visible.
    So no water pressure on the Nautilus gauge means you need to have the Evinrude water pressure sensor on the engine.

Who did you buy the boat from and why did they not show/instruct you on these basic things. If a dealer. go back and speak with the owner/manager in regards to instructing you on the ins and outs of normal operation. Also get the owners manual as that will also have the answers.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Huey View Post
    No problem John and always looking to learn my end. We do not see many Ranger boats down here and I personally have never seen such a device, but yes I imagine the other end of this device must plumb into an outboard powerhead if it shows the user Water Pressure from the outboard. If not too much trouble and if you have a photo of this device fitted to the bilge I would interested in seeing it.

Cheers,

Huey.
    Huey, my guess is Ranger uses a WP sensor of a similar or same design as the Lowrance WP sensor. This device has a molded in nipple to connect a common rubber host to a fitting on the water jacket of the powerhead. It has a NMEA 2000 cable and Tee for connection to the NMEA 2K network.

13. Member
    Thank-you Sir and I am familiar with the Navico device you mentioned.

14. Member
    So here is where I’m at. iTrim is not an option on my panel, yes, even when trim is all the way down. It shows only trim assist and winterize. I still have no water pressure to the Ranger gauge or as a feature on the Evinrude. I called the skeeter dealer I bought this from, a pretty penny too as it was a '19 with only 16 hours. As a novice I did not check these features while at the dealer, so yes, live and learn. However, after many attempts their stance is, oh well, sorry. They don't work on Evinrude’s so they say they have no idea how to help me. I hate to be that guy, but if you’re reading this, just know that I will not buy, or trade etc with Bella Vista Marine in Rogers AR again. Too bad, really liked the personalities, but the lack of sense of responsibility is disappointing. Maybe it’s the bass boat world? Is it normal to just tell a client that bought a 40K boat to take to a dealer local and pay myself for something that I believe should have been working day 1? Let me know, if I’m off, I’ll just delete and not disparage their name.
    Bluegill Maniac
    2019 Ranger Z518 Evinrude 150 HO

15. Member
    I think if you take your boat to a Evinrude dealer they should be able to activate your water pressure gauge on the G2's gauge. When I bought my boat it was a really late delivery/pickup from the time of order and when I got the boat home I did not have water pressure readings either, probably because I pushed the dealer due to tournaments I was missing, (16 weeks from my order date to getting the boat). My dealer was 3hrs away so for most of the first season I only went on temp as the dealer assured me that the motor would protect itself from overheating. When I did finally get the boat back to the dealership I think it was just a matter of them hooking it up to the computer and turning something on. The gauge that is on your dash I would look at to see if it has a nipple on it or if it do is run electrically. If it has a nipple then it would be a matter of running a tube back to the motor and that is only if the G2's can be set up this way.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ici View Post
    So here is where I’m at. iTrim is not an option on my panel, yes, even when trim is all the way down. It shows only trim assist and winterize. I still have no water pressure to the Ranger gauge or as a feature on the Evinrude. I called the skeeter dealer I bought this from, a pretty penny too as it was a '19 with only 16 hours. As a novice I did not check these features while at the dealer, so yes, live and learn. However, after many attempts their stance is, oh well, sorry. They don't work on Evinrude’s so they say they have no idea how to help me. I hate to be that guy, but if you’re reading this, just know that I will not buy, or trade etc with Bella Vista Marine in Rogers AR again. Too bad, really liked the personalities, but the lack of sense of responsibility is disappointing. Maybe it’s the bass boat world? Is it normal to just tell a client that bought a 40K boat to take to a dealer local and pay myself for something that I believe should have been working day 1? Let me know, if I’m off, I’ll just delete and not disparage their name.
    trim assist and I trim are the same.. The trim assist selection in that menu is the on/off switch for the I trim feature

17. Member
    Really? I was told otherwise. I have trim assist on but the trim does not auto or adjust while accelerating
    Bluegill Maniac
    2019 Ranger Z518 Evinrude 150 HO

18. Member
    Yes really, you were told wrong, I would listen to bighare.