Lake Shelbyville

I have not been to Shelbyville since we got off the tournament circuit - years ago... I can't remember if there is a ramp fee - but there was always plenty of parking (I think). Planning on visiting this Friday & Saturday. Looks like it is at full pool. Any tips or comments would be welcome ... we will do some fishing but mostly a family trip - just boating. It is the 9th st ramp?

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

There is no ramp fee at all this year at 9th Street. I have not fished a tournament at Shelbyviile in the past 6 weeks. The last one that I fished there was a Federation tournament back in July. I had enough weight to win it, but a dead fish penalty pushed me back to 2nd place. I caught my fish from main lake points and channel swings in 17-20 ft. of water on a 3/4 ounce football jig and a Carolina Rig. I had Big Bass for that tournament with a 5.6 lb fish caught on the football jig. It's been 6 weeks now, but I dont expect that a whole lot has changed.

Thanks Philly. We are looking forward to the trip. We always had some good fish on Shelbyville ... biggest was a muskie (in a bass tournament). Pretty sure the last time we were there was when Illinois members on this board lead by our forum leader (sgt93) put on a nice tournament there. What year was that?
    Last edited by hooksetter5; 09-03-2020 at 08:14 AM.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

4. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I was at that rally/tournament hooksetter. I had a couple beers with you and your partner after the tourney. I think I got 2nd fishing by myself. The lake level is about 3 feet above summer pool, 82 degrees with tons and tons of bait fish everywhere. If you want to catch some crappie, fish 6 feet down on standing timber in the backs of coves. Minnows help and the water depth does not matter just fish 6 feet deep. It's been taking 15-18 lbs. to win a tourney for bass. I'm going to northern ill for the weekend or I'd catch up with you. Enjoy your tie, the lake will be wild as its the last weekend for alot of the big boats.

Dale Sinclair original

5. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    That BBC tourney on Shelbyville was in 2009. Have a great weekend trip Hook!
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

6. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sgt93 View Post
    That BBC tourney on Shelbyville was in 2009. Have a great weekend trip Hook!
    You did a fine job organizing that rally Steve.

Dale Sinclair original

Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    You did a fine job organizing that rally Steve.
    Yes he did! It was a great event. We had some big motor trouble - turned out to be a bad O ring in the fuel system that made it tough to stay on plane .... we still scratched out 5 fish but none were big -

We ended up not making the trip this weekend - the cooler temps and higher winds kept us home (the girls - were looking for optimal conditions). But my son and I have made a plan for a spring trip or maybe even this fall. Thanks for the helpful remarks - they are appreciated.

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

8. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hooksetter5 View Post
    Yes he did! It was a great event. We had some big motor trouble - turned out to be a bad O ring in the fuel system that made it tough to stay on plane .... we still scratched out 5 fish but none were big -

We ended up not making the trip this weekend - the cooler temps and higher winds kept us home (the girls - were looking for optimal conditions). But my son and I have made a plan for a spring trip or maybe even this fall. Thanks for the helpful remarks - they are appreciated.
    Let me know when you come and I can at least put you on some crappie

Dale Sinclair original

will do - always appreciate your posts

Ranger R93 / Merc 200

10. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    A lot of behind the scenes work for sure; it was exhausting. I even had to get an insurance policy as the Corps of Engineers required one (many here chipped in including Al which was nice). Truly a pain but was good meeting everyone.

The mini rally on Lake Springfield was much easier thanks to Mike.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.