Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ranger vs Triton

Looking at ordering a Rt 178 or 17TX and from what I understand these are built in the same factory however the Ranger is more expensive. Any reason I should go with with over the other and as for future resale value would it matter?

I'm not sure how things have changed since the manufacturing was moved from the Flippin plant. But, in the past, the Ranger came with a "C" channel trailer and the Triton had a tube trailer. I think there were alsoa few other differences, including the quality of certain trim and seating.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

When the Ranger and Triton Aluminum manufacturing moved to Missouri, the trailer manufacturing went with it. I can’t say with certainty but heard that the standard trailer for both the Ranger and Triton is now a Tube trailer. There may be a C channel option but not sure.
    Another consideration: since the Triton glass operation has been moved to the closed Legend plant, it stands alone making it easier to spin off should Johnny Morris decide to thin out the Brand offerings. Should this happen, the Triton aluminum would probably be eliminated.
    With this in mind, if I were making the decision, I would buy the Ranger.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I was slightly leaning towards Ranger just on the name.

5. Member
    I bought a 2019 RT178 last October and haven't regretted it. Its a great boat and an absolute delight to fish out of, even in less than friendly conditions. My trailer came with the bow stand for a RT198 which made loading the boat miserable the first few times I had it out. Apparently it was a screw up at the factory, but my dealer and Ranger made it right as quickly as possible with very little hassle. Go with the Ranger.

6. Member
    I looked at both a few years ago and ended up buying a RT 178. I love mine and have no regrets whatsoever.

7. Member
    When I was looking four years ago most of the aluminum boats were constructed about the same, amenities make up the difference in trim lines and prices. The consoles and seats were my determining factors. Buy what suits your needs/wants the best.

I would buy a used RT178 if I was looking right now. I don't trust the manufacturing now. I would suspect that since it has moved that it will be easier to implement a lot of cost cutting measures like sharing labor, changing seat quality, changing trailer quality, etc.

Triton, Ranger and TRACKER are all now pretty close to each other geographically, the same umbrella and the Tracker part of this DEFINITELY would worry me. I always thought Ranger and Triton aluminums were pretty close and both good boats. But now they can easily throw the Tracker stuff in the mix pretty easily....

It is not the same Ranger and Triton as it was.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

9. Member
    Be sure to check out the new Vexus AVX181. Not sure when it is gonna hit the street(water) but you can now build one on the Vexus website.
    2021 Vexus AVX 1880 Summit White
    115 Mercury ProXS
    Ultrex
    Twin HBirds
    Garmin 93
    Garmin Livescope

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I would buy a used RT178 if I was looking right now. I don't trust the manufacturing now. I would suspect that since it has moved that it will be easier to implement a lot of cost cutting measures like sharing labor, changing seat quality, changing trailer quality, etc.

Triton, Ranger and TRACKER are all now pretty close to each other geographically, the same umbrella and the Tracker part of this DEFINITELY would worry me. I always thought Ranger and Triton aluminums were pretty close and both good boats. But now they can easily throw the Tracker stuff in the mix pretty easily....

It is not the same Ranger and Triton as it was.
    I have looked at the Ranger and Tracker in person and the build quality is night and day difference. Also the person weight capacity is much higher on the Ranger which also leads me to think it's built better. All the Trackers have wavy sides when you look close. I took Tracker off my list after looking and researching them.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkG52 View Post
    Be sure to check out the new Vexus AVX181. Not sure when it is gonna hit the street(water) but you can now build one on the Vexus website.
    Darn no pics available and from looking at their warranty I will pass.
    Last edited by gunslinger78; 09-02-2020 at 01:27 PM.

back in Oct 2018, I looked at both. they were exactly the same boat, same trailer, everything. But yes the Ranger was a bit more but under $1K difference. Also, the 2019 Triton had more room in the cockpit than the 2018 Ranger. Don't ask me why but it did. Don't expect too much out of either one. With a max of 75 hp, it probably won't get you above 33 MPH.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    back in Oct 2018, I looked at both. they were exactly the same boat, same trailer, everything. But yes the Ranger was a bit more but under $1K difference. Also, the 2019 Triton had more room in the cockpit than the 2018 Ranger. Don't ask me why but it did. Don't expect too much out of either one. With a max of 75 hp, it probably won't get you above 33 MPH.
    I'm getting one with a 60

14. Member
    Triton trailer is a couple steps below the channel trailer of the Ranger. Worth every penny.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
    Triton trailer is a couple steps below the channel trailer of the Ranger. Worth every penny.
    I don't know much about trailers, how are they different?

Quote Originally Posted by gunslinger78 View Post
    I have looked at the Ranger and Tracker in person and the build quality is night and day difference. Also the person weight capacity is much higher on the Ranger which also leads me to think it's built better. All the Trackers have wavy sides when you look close. I took Tracker off my list after looking and researching them.
    I fully agree.... Night and day difference. The point I was trying to make is that they MOVED the Ranger and Triton manufacturing up there recently. They are not made at the Ranger plant in Flippin anymore.... That is why I said to look at a used one year to a couple of years old maybe. They also stopped making the RangerTrail trailers in Flippin at the Ranger trailer shop.

Now if you order a new boat, who knows what the heck you will get. I think that since they moved the manufacturing up to the Missouri location that there was a post here recently where a guy bought and ordered a new Ranger and it came in to the dealer with a Tracker trailer under it. Just be careful. You might even find a leftover 2019 that is new that was built before they moved them from the Ranger plant. I doubt this boat will be the same as it used to be.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I fully agree.... Night and day difference. The point I was trying to make is that they MOVED the Ranger and Triton manufacturing up there recently. They are not made at the Ranger plant in Flippin anymore.... That is why I said to look at a used one year to a couple of years old maybe. They also stopped making the RangerTrail trailers in Flippin at the Ranger trailer shop.

Now if you order a new boat, who knows what the heck you will get. I think that since they moved the manufacturing up to the Missouri location that there was a post here recently where a guy bought and ordered a new Ranger and it came in to the dealer with a Tracker trailer under it. Just be careful. You might even find a leftover 2019 that is new that was built before they moved them from the Ranger plant. I doubt this boat will be the same as it used to be.
    I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    When the Ranger and Triton Aluminum manufacturing moved to Missouri, the trailer manufacturing went with it. I can’t say with certainty but heard that the standard trailer for both the Ranger and Triton is now a Tube trailer. There may be a C channel option but not sure.
    Another consideration: since the Triton glass operation has been moved to the closed Legend plant, it stands alone making it easier to spin off should Johnny Morris decide to thin out the Brand offerings. Should this happen, the Triton aluminum would probably be eliminated.
    With this in mind, if I were making the decision, I would buy the Ranger.
    I would hope that a "C" channel trailer is still available. A tube trailer would be an absolute deal breaker if I was in the market.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I would hope that a "C" channel trailer is still available. A tube trailer would be an absolute deal breaker if I was in the market.
    How do I tell the difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Me too!!! I have fished with the same club for over 40 years so I have seen, owned and fished from all Brands of boats, motors, and trailers. For 25 of those years, I drove BassCats, which have C channel trailers, so I never had a problem but I saw many box frame trailer problems with club member’s boats.
    The 2013 - 16 Ranger RT series Trailers Had a lot of problems but the redesign in 2016 fixed most of them. Sadly, that is likely to change now.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast