Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Stress crack in the gel coat

I own a 2015 Skeeter zx 225 I bought new from Town marine in PA in 2016. It has over 12 stress cracks in the gel coat. The boat is white and they stand out. This is a quote from the dealer on Skeeters response to my warranty inquiry.

Skeeter is still holding firm to their first opinion.

"Those are all cosmetic cracks and are not structural cracks the top cap is standard maintenance of the boat. Skeeter will not cover any of the pictures under warranty."

You are welcome to bring the boat in so that we may take a look at it in person, but it does not appear that Skeeter will change their mind. Any repairs would be at your expense.

I’m sick to my stomach on this response and extremely disappointed. Has anyone else had these problems and get anywhere with the manufacture?

They are 30 day warranty items? They are cosmetic. Fish it and have fun.
    Last edited by Fishysam; 09-01-2020 at 01:17 PM.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

A pic would help
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    if you read most boat co warranty gel kote is not covered they will do it sometimes on a new boat that gets them but after 5 years it is on the customer to pay to have it repaired with no guarantee they wont come back.

5. Member
    If the boat had been a year old or even two, I can see Skeeter fixing them. It’s 4 years old, so they will call it cosmetic unless it’s impact, then it would fall under insurance.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Daymn, I have a 20 year old Charger with no stress cracks. I would be disappointed in Skeeter

7. Member
    My Ranger R83 is 20 years old and I don't have stress crack #1. One small one I could see but it looks like your entire boat is one big stress crack.

8. Member
    I was about to poke fun at you for thinking gel coat cracks were stress cracks. Those ARE stress cracks. They are from major structure shifts. I'm thinking a low resin mix. Freakin WOW!

9. Member
    That’s not all the pictures either. There are more cracks in the front of the boat below the rub rail. All these were sent to the dealer and to Skeeter. Not very impressed with the response I was given and weight my options on what to do next because in my option this is bad business and poor craftsmanship.

10. Banned
    Looks like crap to me, but I think they’ll claim 2 of them from being hit on a dock or pylon.

11. Banned
    When you see how Skeeter bonds the top deck to the hull I am not surprised. Not knocking their boats, just seems a weird construction method.
    Last edited by grandbassslayer; 09-01-2020 at 09:41 PM.

12. Member
    It appears some cracks are radiating from factory cut out areas , possibly squared corners. Skeeter doesn’t “ bond “ there caps very well and along with the stupid screw jacks supporting the rear deck you get lateral movement after a couple years. I wouldn’t be suprised if you don’t have multiple cap screws sheared off from the cap moving. Your pretty much pissing into the wind when it comes to getting help from the factory, I fixed a broken stringer in a zx years ago and Darby promised the owner they would help with repair cost ( he was original owner) they never followed thru on there own structure warranty.
    Your only options are keep using it or try a hard water impact claim with ins co.

13. Member
    My buddy bought a 2018 Skeeter and already had it sent to a dealer twice and the factory once to fix cracks in his boat. I think he ended up bringing his boat to a Skeeter down in PA too.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

14. ourflat
    Wow.....just wow! I was looking at a new Skeeter but elected to go with a used Ranger to get some time under my belt. My Ranger is 20 years old and no stress cracks. I’m blown away. This could have been me! Thank you for sharing.....

Frank

Ive got a 10 year old Sterling and no carpet to hide cracks and even with my big ass walking all over the lids/decks there are no cracks of any size . I would be pissed with that sorry quality , the say its Cosmetic , well thats why you have medal flake bass boats .

No manufacturer will cover stress cracks under warranty and those definitely look like stress cracks, not structural cracks. I know very little about Skeeter and their construction methods. But, I seem to see a lot more stress cracks in most brands of newer bass boats than was the case 20 or more years ago. We know that the EPA stepped in and mandated that various boat manufacturing methods had to change because of the fumes they produced. That's why you see so many boats with soft compartment lids. I wonder if these new EPA regulations had a similar effect on which resins boat companies could use? If so, that might account for the increase in stress cracks in most brands of bass boats.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I work on boats daily...that is wayyyy to many cracks !! I would suspect a little gel issue when shot. As stated above..some cracks could be runnin from corners and screw holes. Either way...it won’t be covered by Skeeter. I’d sell it.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

18. Member
    Man that sucks. Just another reason I will never own a Skeeter.

19. Member
    Some get them some don't. On about all brands. To me it seems white is worse not sure maybe they just show up worse. My fiberglass guy says gel goat is like egg shells wish he hadn't told me that. Sucks I would be disappointed also. One reason I think buying a good ten year old boat is best. If it's clean it probably won't get stuff like this. Problem I have been told is if you fix them they will probably come back.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast