Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    at what point should a boat builder not be responsible for something that nearly all of the boat builders say that gel kote is not a warranty issue if they did warranty gel kote for a time guys would never buy a new boat because we all have had our boats in waves or rollers that give them a beating . believe me if there was a magic gel kote that wouldnt hairline crack the builders would be using it. boats is a numbers thing the more of them out there the more opportunities for issues so it not really fair with guys boat companies the build less than 30 boats a year to get in on the flogging of builders that build 10 to 40 boats a day an have been doing it sometimes for over thirty yrs.

2. Member
    HAS TO BE some other material nowadays that can be used that's more flexible in this application that won't crack but still clear to show colors underneath. Maybe a clear coat paint like on vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    HAS TO BE some other material nowadays that can be used that's more flexible in this application that won't crack but still clear to show colors underneath. Maybe a clear coat paint like on vehicles.
    Vexus started doing this. I was really skeptical about it beforehand, so I took the opportunity to talk with them about it when they had several reps at a boat show here in the Twin Cities. The reps there that I spoke with were actually the "big wigs" I recognize from their ads and marketing materials, Keith Daffron (who I'm 99% sure is the president) and Randy Hopper. Anyhow, they had multiple samples with them, basically panels that were half covered with their "HardCase" Paint (I think that's what it was called) and half covered with the gel coat they'd normally use on a glass boat. Each panel had been subjected to different forms of abuse. This included rock impacts, sand blasting, salt spray, flexing, and probably some other stuff. In every situation, their paint help up better than the gel coat. Plus, since it's paint, it's not nearly as complicated to fix should it get damaged.

The flexing piece I think is what's relevant here, and while the gel coat cracked, the paint did not. Of course that's probably not the best comparison for what a bass boat experiences due to the boat being subjected to a bunch of different things all at once, but it was pretty impressive nonetheless.

I didn't have a strong opinion of Vexus walking into the interaction other than knowing they'd be focusing on quality due to their roots and that they'd come with a price to match. They're clearly a premium boat, the models they had with them looked really nice with excellent fit and finish (although they brought no bass boats on that occasion opting instead for multi-species boats...not surprising for this part of the country), but given my boat budget they're just a brand that won't be an option for me for several years so I really haven't bothered to keep track of them otherwise (namely real world experience with the paint). I know how marketing and demonstrations can work so I take those samples for what they were, but either way I walked away from that impressed. I was also surprised at how similar the paint looked to normal gel coat. It feels a little different if you run your hand over it, but you'd honestly never be able to tell just looking at it unless you knew beforehand.

I'm honestly surprised some other companies haven't started doing it yet. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than meets the eye...guessing a big part of it has to do with the fact that it would require companies to completely retool their hull manufacturing process, though that's just a guess on my part. Bass Cat Boats posts often on these boards, I'd really like to hear their input on it as I'm sure it's something they've explored or at least considered.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Member
    I'm curious if the boat sit's outside under a cover in sunlight? Reason I'm asking I had a basscat that did this once and it was said heat from being under a cover in sunlight caused them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    Man that sucks. Just another reason I will never own a Skeeter.
    Another reason to look at a BassCat

6. Member
    I live in the north east. The boat is stored in a heated garage in the winter and outside in spring, summer and fall. It does sit with a cover on it in the summer when not in use, but not in all day direct sunlight. I would hope to think this has no impact because the weather here is not even close to the weather in the south where boats are used 12 months of the year. This boat gets used 6-7 months of the year.

This is why i cant own a white gel boat but with all those cracks you got some stuff moving in the inner bones, and bad screw installs. They save a lot of time by ramming screws into the glass instead of drilling the correct pilot holes. It never cracks right then its always later once it fully cures

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

8. Member
    Well this is the latest from Skeeter.

Good afternoon Mr. Littler
    Doesn’t look like Skeeter will be able to do anything for you since the cracks that you are experiencing on your 2015 model has nothing to do with the structural integrity of the boat that would be covered under normal circumstances.
    Unfortunately, you are experiencing excluded items such as gel coat finishes including but not limited to cracks, crazing, discoloration or blistering.

a huge disappointment that a company will build something out there name on it and be proud of it but not stand by there product in which they souls be proud of making. Dis crusted to say the least.

well people hopefully this who have read this spread the work and make sure when you buy a brand new bass boat ask about cosmetic stress cracks because this is a normal ovation in boats and up too the customer to fix even if your boat is only a year old.

good by Skeeter I will surely share my experience with you and I hope every one on This message board will learn something from this and spread the word.

I am thoroughly disgusted and better stop posting and say something that can get me in trouble!!! Bunch of BULL SHIT.

9. Member
    I do warranty work for most brands and they usually will cover it within the first year, if you have a good dealer. Over half of those in the pics originate off screw holes. I've seen em on rangers too btw.

10. Member
    Those are bad and this is total BS.

I just crossed the FXR off my boat shopping list for this winter. Was leaning that way but this seals it for me. I would be nuts if my boat cracked like that. Feel bad for you and you are correct to be pissed about it.

11. Member
    For what they charge for new boats , this is inexcusable.

12. Member
    an back to the real world try an take your any kind of new truck back to the dealership with paint issues after 5 yrs .

All 3 of my Skeeter boats had spider cracks unfortunately. Hopefully the new ones don’t.

14. Member
    Paint on a truck and cracks in a $70K plus boat isn’t even close to being a same comparison...I’m guessing if it was your boat, you be singing a different tune instead of Snead commits..

Your right about one thing though..builders that build as you say 30 or less a year are building better boats than those building 10-40 per day..only makes sense..

QUOTE=ssmithboats;11357696]an back to the real world try an take your any kind of new truck back to the dealership with paint issues after 5 yrs .[/QUOTE]
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

I'm thinkin' you haven't priced new trucks lately.

16. Member
    Bought a new F250 6 months ago..but lots of people consider a truck a short term(5-7yrs) ownership or 150K miles and it’s time for new one..Boats in general are not perceived in the same manner..they are generally consider a long term item for most of us. Trucks are suppose to wear out as they get ever day use and abuse..boats don’t..or mine doesn’t anyways..I wash my truck when I can’t tell what color it is anymore..my boat gets wiped down, cleaned up after every trip out..so for me, a truck and a boat, completely different critters..
    Blazer 650 PRO /Nizpro SC SHO

17. Member
    I’m sorry but those cracks in my mind are structural. Otherwise, new boats sitting on the dealership floor will have them. They occur when the boat starts to flex from use, at stress points in the boat. So, it’s either a structural problem, or a design problem, or a materials problem. If you left that boat sitting in one place for five years, it would not have them. I don’t get writing them off and saying they aren’t structural.

18. Member
    the OP lives between Oneida and Ontario, the epee center for gel cracks. There isn't a boat in that area older than 2 years without spider cracks. When a calm day on your local lakes is a 1.5 foot chop, your boat gets beat up. Unless you only fish 4 days out of the year. I have had plenty of spider cracks over the years, never really effected my resale.

19. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by densik View Post
    the OP lives between Oneida and Ontario, the epee center for gel cracks. There isn't a boat in that area older than 2 years without spider cracks. When a calm day on your local lakes is a 1.5 foot chop, your boat gets beat up. Unless you only fish 4 days out of the year. I have had plenty of spider cracks over the years, never really effected my resale.
    You would think given the price of these boats that Skeeter would a few boats up there to test for this issues so they could improve on their product! No one wants a $80K stress/ web cracked boat; no one!

Frank

20. Member
    Back in 2013, I purchased what I thought would be my last new boat, a Skeeter ZX20, ordered and equipped exactly as I wanted. When it arrived, the fit and finish were marginal at best. Crooked compartment lids, screws that wouldn't tighten, several other issues. After less than 12 months of use, the gel had scuffs and scratches all over it from being scuffed with tennis shoes and other soft surface fishing shoes. I was told the boat hadn't been left long enough in the mold to cure, but no structural issues, so no warranty repairs. Every time I looked at in sitting in my garage, or had it on the water, I was just sick. I found a dealer far away who gave me a reasonable trade on my BassCat Puma and traded it. It worked out well for all as he was able to sell the Skeeter to someone not quite as anal as I. I know all boat manufacturers have issues, but don't think I would buy, or suggest to anyone, another Skeeter.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast