Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Minn Kota needs to step it up!

I tend to do things that are different than most and decided I was going to install 8' Raptors on my new boat. I was going to install a set of Talons like I had on my last boat, but was told they had been discontinued with the introduction of the Raptor. Well, no one could tell me which mounting bracket to buy for the Raptors. I called MK and messaged them, and the response was the same. They reiterated that they had one set of brackets that provides 4" of vertical rise and one set that provides 6" and they couldn't tell me which one to use on my application. I would need to consult with my boat manufacturer. Attention MK! Your product is a boat accessory, not the other way around. If you want your product to be installed on boats, you need to do the research and determine how it will integrate with various applications and not rely on the manufacturer or consumer. Its not like you are introducing a product that doesn't already exist. Ok, rant over. Oh yeah, I am placing and order for a set of PP Blades today.
    Last edited by Bahala; 09-01-2020 at 11:22 AM.

2. Member
    Talons are not discontinued.. I also just went thru pp portal which generally works great.. however there are about 20 boats brands off the top of my head missing.. and ran thru a various few combinations... 7 out of 10 came up with: SOME EXAMPLES EXAMPLES BELOW.. take everything with a grain of salt. Not one product selection portal is flawless.

"w
    e're sorry, we currently do not have a recommended adapter plate for your2020 Wellcraft, 221 Tournament Z-Lock Jack Plate, mounting a 8 ft Power-Pole on Port and Starboard Mounting
    Please call our support staff at 813-689-9932 or click on Live Chat and a Power-Pole Support Agent will be happy to help you find the right solution for your boat/jackplate/motor configuration.

We're sorry, we currently do not have a recommended adapter plate for your2017 Carolina Skiff Boats, All Models Z-Lock Jack Plate, mounting a 8 ft Power-Pole on Port and Starboard Mounting

We're sorry, we currently do not have a recommended adapter plate for your2018 Blue Wave Boats, 2800 Pure hybrid CMC Jack Plates, CMC 5 1/2" mounting a 10 ft Power-Pole on Port and Starboard Mounting

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahala View Post
    I tend to do things that are different than most and decided I was going to install 8' Raptors on my new boat. I was going to install a set of Talons like I had on my last boat, but was told they had been discontinued with the introduction of the Raptor. Well, no one could tell me which mounting bracket to buy for the Raptors. I called MK and messaged them, and the response was the same. They reiterated that they had one set of brackets that provides 4" of vertical rise and one set that provides 6" and they couldn't tell me which one to use on my application. I would need to consult with my boat manufacturer. Attention MK! Your product is a boat accessory, not the other way around. If you want your product to be installed on boats, you need to do the research and determine how it will integrate with various applications and not rely on the manufacturer or consumer. Its not like you are introducing a product that doesn't already exist. Ok, rant over. Oh yeah, I am placing and order for a set of PP Blades today.
    I couldnt agree with you more

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    I couldnt agree with you more
    I politely disagree with both of you. The boat manufacture is the one that knows his brand the best. R&D should know what bracket will work for either the Power Pole or the Raptor. 90% of the rigging is done at the factory these days so they should know the best on the setup for every situation of their brand. Then comes the boat dealer He should know as well what setup works and what doesn't There are so many rigging setup out there It is impossible for for Power Pole or Minn Kota to know them all.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    I politely disagree with both of you. The boat manufacture is the one that knows his brand the best. R&D should know what bracket will work for either the Power Pole or the Raptor. 90% of the rigging is done at the factory these days so they should know the best on the setup for every situation of their brand. Then comes the boat dealer He should know as well what setup works and what doesn't There are so many rigging setup out there It is impossible for for Power Pole or Minn Kota to know them all.
    They should still have a adapter plate finder like powerpole where you can plug in the most popular brands to find out what you need.. 4 inch or 6 inch. The fact that minn kota doesnt know what bracket will work with what boat is a issue IMO. Powerpole knows what bracket will work with what boat if you call them. No one said powerpole knows them all but if there isnt something in the adpater plate finder they will work with the customer ( or powerpole dealer) to get the right bracket. Something it looks like minn kota is not willing to do. i mean i can go to powerpoles finder and tell you if he should use a 6 inch or 4 inch rise raptor bracket if the boat is in the finder but we shouldnt have to use powerpoles bracket finder to figure out a minn kota bracket. IMO with all the different transom designs and sponson setups I cant see how 2 brackets will cover everything effectivly.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Oh yeah, I am placing and order for a set of PP Blades today.
    Ty for your order. We appreciate your business, enjoy you new Power Poles! Was quick and easy for us to determine the correct bracket for your 2020 caymas.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post

I couldn't agree with you more.

Minn Kota never had a shaft length wizard for their trolling motors.. and they have done a pretty good job at selling them soooo.

Talon has jack plate and sandwhich mounts.. and they didn't have a boat finder wizard...

maybe if PP didn't have soo many options you wouldn't need a wizard finder thing?

and also keep in mind Raptor/ PP all can mount on same brackets from either brand ... including Talon brackets.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pluggedtheboat View Post

Minn Kota never had a shaft length wizard for their trolling motors.. and they have done a pretty good job at selling them soooo. < MOST REDICULIOUS THING IVE EVER HEARD, AND IN NO WAY COMPARES!
    Talon has jack plate and sandwhich mounts.. and they didn't have a boat finder wizard... < BECAUSE THE BRACKET WAS TOTALLY ADJUSTABLE TO ANGLE AND RISE WHY WOULD THEY!

maybe if PP didn't have soo many options you wouldn't need a wizard finder thing? < THERE IS A GOOD REASON FOR THIS AS MINN KOTA WILL QUICKLY FIND OUT! THEY HAVE OVER 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE SETTING UP "THERE DESIGN" SHALLOW WATER ANCHORS ON ALL TYPES OF BOAT MAKE AND MODELS IF THEY THOUGHT THEY COULD OFFER LESS MODEL BRACKETS THEY WOULD. YOU WILL SEE MORE MODEL BRACKETS FOR RAPTORS AS MINN KOTA LEARNS MORE AND EXPERIENCES MOUNTING ISSUES AS THEY ARISE ON CERTIN BOATS ....IF SALES PAN OUT ON THEM.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 09-02-2020 at 09:01 AM.

9. Member

still don't get why trolling motor brands or jack plate MFG don't have wizard finder thingy using that thought process?

Ya that Talon bracket sure is a good one.. works with PP and Raptor too!

im sure Johnson did their homework and picked the two most common deigns when it came to jack plate mounting, when it came to speaking with OEM and installer/dealers... keep in mind the PP brackets work with Raptor..

So if you dead set on using a wizard thingy, as oppossed to calling your boat MFG or having a discussion with your dealer/ installer, the PP website has one...

10. Member
    I contacted my boat manufacturer and they haven't installed any Raptors, so they could not make a recommendation. Apparently there hasn't been any demand for them. If I have a new product that functions in a similar fashion to an existing product, I dang well better do my homework and be prepared to provide guidance to customers. MK could have had access to a myriad of boats and various trade shows, done installs on their pros staff's boats, traveled to manufacturers or dealers, etc. Instead, they introduced a product and cannot give any guidance other than stating the obvious. If I as a boat manufacturer felt MK's product would help my sales, then sure, I would approach them and figure out mounting details for my future customers. In this case, the burden falls squarely on MK as they are entering a product field dominated by PP.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pluggedtheboat View Post

Ya that Talon bracket sure is a good one.. works with PP and Raptor too! < yup good and heavy!! way too heavy.. works with powerpole sure but who would want the extra weight ...

im sure Johnson did their homework and picked the two most common deigns when it came to jack plate mounting, when it came to speaking with OEM and installer/dealers... keep in mind the PP brackets work with Raptor.. < yes and im sure many will use them instead... cheaper and easier to figure out what ones you need for your boat.

So if you dead set on using a wizard thingy, as oppossed to calling your boat MFG or having a discussion with your dealer/ installer, the PP website has one...<as noted many dealers and boat manuf have no clue at this point, trial and error takes time. They will find out if the RAPTOR even lasts that long in the Market.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I contacted my boat manufacturer and they haven't installed any Raptors, so they could not make a recommendation. Apparently there hasn't been any demand for them. If I have a new product that functions in a similar fashion to an existing product, I dang well better do my homework and be prepared to provide guidance to customers. MK could have had access to a myriad of boats and various trade shows, done installs on their pros staff's boats, traveled to manufacturers or dealers, etc. Instead, they introduced a product and cannot give any guidance other than stating the obvious. If I as a boat manufacturer felt MK's product would help my sales, then sure, I would approach them and figure out mounting details for my future customers. In this case, the burden falls squarely on MK as they are entering a product field dominated by PP.

13. Member

hahha "even lasts that long"

14. Member
    Never could figure out why guys just love Poles. All I ever hear is what great service and how quickly they got their repair parts from PowerPole. How great can a product be if you need to constantly rely on getting parts all the time.? Every single guy I know with poles has either filled his battery compartment with hydraulic fluids or had poles deploy going down the lake or the road or needed “parts” Or we board for pumps. Just don’t get it.

Same thing goes for tallons. Everyone I know who has them hates em bc of their weight, some Screeching sound they make, paint chipping or peeling ect. With Power pole what ever the issue is there is a 90% chance one phone call or message will have parts shipped the same day at no cost. Power poles are easy to work on so you can uaually fix it your self if you know how to turn a wrench and put a bolt back where you took it out.

Talons on the other hand need to be brought to a service center or the warranty will be voided. A fishing partner found that out the hard way.

Both of these systems are in a harsh environment and will at some point will have a failure. To me it's how the failure is handled in the ease to remedy the failure is why I keep getting power Poles.

That is probably why MK wanted their design. If Tallons were so great they would not have copied PP IMO.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Same thing goes for tallons. Everyone I know who has them hates em bc of their weight, some Screeching sound they make, paint chipping or peeling ect. With Power pole what ever the issue is there is a 90% chance one phone call or message will have parts shipped the same day at no cost. Power poles are easy to work on so you can uaually fix it your self if you know how to turn a wrench and put a bolt back where you took it out.

Talons on the other hand need to be brought to a service center or the warranty will be voided. A fishing partner found that out the hard way.

Both of these systems are in a harsh environment and will at some point will have a failure. To me it's how the failure is handled in the ease to remedy the failure is why I keep getting power Poles.

That is probably why MK wanted their design. If Tallons were so great they would not have copied PP IMO.
    Well said!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaCat View Post
    Never could figure out why guys just love Poles. All I ever hear is what great service and how quickly they got their repair parts from PowerPole. How great can a product be if you need to constantly rely on getting parts all the time.? Every single guy I know with poles has either filled his battery compartment with hydraulic fluids or had poles deploy going down the lake or the road or needed “parts” Or we board for pumps. Just don’t get it.
    that aint no joke, the only thing you hear from the guys with poles is great customer service, they better have exceptional service because it seem every person that has em has had to use CS or they are just lying repeating what everybody else says about CS. minn kota did step their game up, they made something that would go deeper than 10 foot and ill take the awesome work lights on em too. good thing we got options for what we want.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHunter57 View Post
    that aint no joke, the only thing you hear from the guys with poles is great customer service, they better have exceptional service because it seem every person that has em has had to use CS or they are just lying repeating what everybody else says about CS. minn kota did step their game up, they made something that would go deeper than 10 foot and ill take the awesome work lights on em too. good thing we got options for what we want.
    Can't say much for their customer service because I haven't needed it. 6 years on a Triton and installed blades on a Ranger for two seasons. Talons are heavy. Had them on a boat for one year and didn't care for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post

Tim not everyone hates em,,, I have had both and I had no problems with either ,, currently have a set of 10' Talons that have worked flawless ,,, my next boat will have Talons also

Quote Originally Posted by TonkaCat View Post
    I have had both and never really had any problems out of either the poles or the Talons , with that said I really love the 10' Talons I have now,,,, no doubt they will be another set of Talons on my next boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast