yamaha vmax 250 hp of failed hot start

Hello I write to you from Italy I have problems on my yamaha vmax 250 hpdi mounted on a triton tr20 250 engine hours, I have already been to two Italian dealers but no one finds the problem, so I decided to ask you, I will summarize everything.
    The engine works perfectly but randomly and not always when I arrive on a spot and fish for a while and I do to restart the engine starts and dies as if it suffocated, after a couple of days I try again and the engine works perfectly for 5-6 outputs and then the problem still occurs obviously not giving any fault signal on the display.
    The compressions are perfect and also the pressures of the various fuel pumps, the cooling system is perfect with the impeller just changed. I don't know how to solve this problem. Do you have any ideas?
    thanks Andrea

I don't have any specific help but I have seen the same complaint from others here on this forum. I feel it may be a problem with "heat soak" causing the fuel to vaporize in the fuel lines when it sits for a while after the engine has heated up. The pumps can't pump vapor very well and it takes a while to purge the vapor out.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

I have the same trouble from time to time and noticed it’s when I have the motor trimmed all the way down. If I trim all the way up and then back down it will start right up. Hope this helps

I have the same trouble from time to time and noticed it’s when I have the motor trimmed all the way down. If I trim all the way up and then back down it will start right up. Hope this helps

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by previero View Post
    Hello I write to you from Italy I have problems on my yamaha vmax 250 hpdi mounted on a triton tr20 250 engine hours, I have already been to two Italian dealers but no one finds the problem, so I decided to ask you, I will summarize everything.
    The engine works perfectly but randomly and not always when I arrive on a spot and fish for a while and I do to restart the engine starts and dies as if it suffocated, after a couple of days I try again and the engine works perfectly for 5-6 outputs and then the problem still occurs obviously not giving any fault signal on the display.
    The compressions are perfect and also the pressures of the various fuel pumps, the cooling system is perfect with the impeller just changed. I don't know how to solve this problem. Do you have any ideas?
    thanks Andrea
    the mechanic of the yamaha dealership told me the same thing .... how can you solve the problem?

6. Member
    the mechanic of the yamaha dealership told me the same thing .... how can you solve the problem?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by previero View Post
    No one that I know including myself has figured it out. BUT giving the engine a little throttle OR trimming up as suggested will allow the engine to start. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

8. Member
    so as a solution you tell me to raise the jack plate and keep half throttle open and start up?

9. Member
    Mine would do that sometime and I changed the fuel pump relay and no problem since.

10. Member
    Not raise jack plate just the trim, trim it up before you turn the motor off. It may help it has for some, this will eliminate the known smoking Issues when restarting.