Thread: Howdy All

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by B-47 View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I had a short stay at Andersen in 1966 as part of the ARC Light and Young Tiger mission in Vietnam. When I arrived Col. Johnson (Wing Commander) told me to sit tight in the ops building, he wanted me to go to Kadena Air Base in Okinawa to support the finishing investigation of the May 1966 KC-135 crash at Kadena. Met up with Col. Davis and flew over on a B-52. When Col. Davis introduced himself at Andersen, his first comment was, you do not want to stay on the God forsaken island (he had been there several times before (including WWII). I said, I go where you go and we took off. It was a little scary taking off and suddenly a long fall toward the sea. Made my way to U-Tapao airfield, back to Kadena and then Andersen before returning to the states.
    ARC Light and Linebacker I & II were before my time but I did work/ rode in B-52Ds that were reskinned and updated OAS system. Loved the aircraft and as you said; takes a whole lot of steam from H2O system to get off the deck!

I love the history of Guam and the impact it had on the outcome of several wars.....

Cheers,
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by ourflat View Post
    Airframe Master Technician (9-level) but started out as an Aircraft Fuel Systems Apprentice in 1980. I was fortunate to work on B-52 D, G & H models; KC-10A, KC-135 A, Q, T & R models; F-16 Block 30 & 52CJ; C-5A & B, C-141, C-130 E & H, RF-111s, and a few others weapon systems. I was stationed at Barksdale, Dyess, Anderson AFB Guam, Travis, Ramstein AFB, Woomera South Australia, South Korea and a few others... TDY all over the planet to fight the good fight!

Frank
    Welcome to the BBC and thank you for your service. Time to enjoy life!

9 LEVEL all systems red X except egress. Sounds more like the Pro Super.

How did you work on all them aircraft? I have only worked 2 airframes..F-15s and F-16s block 15s and now our old 30s. The high paced fighter world is all i know. I know all about them TDYs. Have a few stories of my own. I have 7 years left that will put me at 37 years of service...If my body dont quit on me.

Oh... and besides Ranger for parts, Greatlakesskipper would be my second choice.
    Last edited by cwilt; 09-12-2020 at 01:29 AM.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

3. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Welcome to the BBC and thank you for your service. Time to enjoy life!

9 LEVEL all systems red X except egress. Sounds more like the Pro Super.

How did you work on all them aircraft? I have only worked 2 airframes..F-15s and F-16s block 15s and now our old 30s. The high paced fighter world is all i know. I know all about them TDYs. Have a few stories of my own. I have 7 years left that will put me at 37 years of service...If my body dont quit on me.

Oh... and besides Ranger for parts, Greatlakesskipper would be my second choice.
    Hi, I also worked on F-15C, Es while TDY to 4401st in sand land! I am/ was an Accessory Flight Chief before I became. SFG First Sergeant while stationed at Ramstein AB Germany. I had a ton of PCS moves: Barksdale- SAC, Anderson AFB Guam - SAC, Dyess AFB- SAC, Seymour Johnson AFB -SAC, Anderson AFB- SAC, Whiteman AFB- SAC, Woomera SA, Space Command, Barksdale AFB - ACC, KAB - RSK, Travis AFB- AMC, Ramstein AB - Germany. TDY for many months: 4404 th Provisional, Fairferth England, Darwin Australia, Singapore, Okinawa Japan, Clark AB, Diego Garcia and many more.

I enjoyed working on different aircraft. Had to do the Pro Super more often then not but for the maintenance squadrons or LG Super. Sounds like you are taking the long way as a Guard or Reserve? Gee I love you guys.... the knowledge you have from such a long stent on the aircraft you work on is a living history. I started to find the aircraft that I loved starting to disappear due to their retirement; very sad times!

The fighter world was tossed upside down in 91” for us when ACC was formed! I didn’t care too much for hydrazine response and CFTs.....

Who knows....small world...maybe we’ll do some fishing together and share some good stories.....

Frank

Sounds great.

I was part of the 4404 in Dhaharan Saudi also, stayed at khobar towers. I was in the 60th FS part of the 33rd FW at Eglin AFB when they had 15s. I am actually an ART now in the Reserves. Been here at Homestead since they opened back up after Andrew (took 2 years to reopen the base). Was great timing when i left AD. I joined the reserves and been here since. Been a crew chief my entire millitary career except for when i did a temp 3 year stint as a pro super...whole nother story.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

5. ourflat
    Quote Originally Posted by cwilt View Post
    Sounds great.

I was part of the 4404 in Dhaharan Saudi also, stayed at khobar towers. I was in the 60th FS part of the 33rd FW at Eglin AFB when they had 15s. I am actually an ART now in the Reserves. Been here at Homestead since they opened back up after Andrew (took 2 years to reopen the base). Was great timing when i left AD. I joined the reserves and been here since. Been a crew chief my entire millitary career except for when i did a temp 3 year stint as a pro super...whole nother story.
    Well we sure did ear a lot of the same sand!

Cheers,

Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12