Thread: Watts Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Watts Bar

I am looking at options for a few days fishing end of September first of October. What would Watts Bar be doing then? Only about an hour away and I’m looking for something different for a change.

Jason. depends on the water temp and the lake level. If they are still pulling it down, it might be a bit slow. I fished it for years and the only time we had trouble was in the dead of Winter. There are always fish that will cooperate. I prefer the lower end of the lake near the dam. Points (all of them!) will produce. You just have to find the depth the fish are holding. Texas rigs and jigs will catch a bunch of fish. Buzzbaits and other topwater baits will work for the first hour or so after sunup. Lowe Branch and Piney River will be great if the water level is stable. Otherwise stay on the main lake. There are dozens of small & medium sized "cuts" on both sides of the lake down there that can produce large fish at times, as can the humps and old foundations.

As it gets closer to time give me a shout. I know some guys who fish it regularly and can get some reliable info from them.

3. Member
    thinking about heading there tomorrow.. haven't been all summer... Is there grass mid-lake area? I've heard conflicting reports on whether it has it or not

4. Member
    Florida strains have been stocked there several years now right? Bigguns showing up yet?

5. Member
    I believe that this was the first year that the Florida strains were stocked in Watts Bar. It took 5-7 years for Chickamuga to show the improvements from the stockings. The first stocking on Chickamuga was not considered a success, too few fish stocked. It took multiple years of the stockings for the changes to take place.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDFD29 View Post
    I believe that this was the first year that the Florida strains were stocked in Watts Bar. It took 5-7 years for Chickamuga to show the improvements from the stockings. The first stocking on Chickamuga was not considered a success, too few fish stocked. It took multiple years of the stockings for the changes to take place.
    Ditto

7. Member
    Thanks for the info and for the original post as I was about to ask the same question. I plan on coming down with my teenage son for three days the third week of October. What’s it like then?

Also, we want to stay at a marina/resort that would be within a 20 minute drive or a good-sized grocery store and a restaurant or two. Was thinking about Terrace View-any other thoughts?

i apologize to the OP of this derails where you wanted this post to go but figured more info is better for both of us.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

5150 ... Can't comment on the places at Watts Bar to stay, but the fishing should be GOOD all throughout October & November ...... Provided you don't have any massive cold fronts then. Not likely, but it does happen.

Watts Bar has the main navigation channel marked well. Stay in it when the water has been drawn to winter levels (October qualifies). Outside the buoys run at IDLE SPEED ONLY and watch your depth closely. There are numerous rock piles and shallow flats that will ruin your day.

9. Matt20xd
    Quote Originally Posted by SDFD29 View Post
    Nope. In 2015 they put in close to 200k.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hair Jig View Post
    5150 ... Can't comment on the places at Watts Bar to stay, but the fishing should be GOOD all throughout October & November ...... Provided you don't have any massive cold fronts then. Not likely, but it does happen.

Watts Bar has the main navigation channel marked well. Stay in it when the water has been drawn to winter levels (October qualifies). Outside the buoys run at IDLE SPEED ONLY and watch your depth closely. There are numerous rock piles and shallow flats that will ruin your day.
    How far do they drop it at winter pool? Is the lake on lakemaster/navionics?
    Murray State Alum
    2007 Champion 210 with all the toys

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post
    tva.gov or the TVA app for your phone is your friend.
    Here is the operating guide with the "clutter" of other info turned off. Watts Bar moves 5-6 feet per year.
    It is on my Navionics card.
    Attached Images Attached Images

12. Member
    Thanks for the tips Hair Jig. I used to love fishing KY Lake in the Fall when the water was down and had to do the same thing regarding the channel markers. Will be extra careful when my son and I are running around in October especially since this is our first trip to WB.

I just made reservations at Terrace View Marina. Seems like a nice place to stay and I can keep my boat in the water for the entire trip vs trailering it around. They also assured me that their launch is useable when the water is down. Terrace View also seemed about mid-lake, which gives me more options on where to fish. I’m excited to give it a try. Hoping my son can get his biggest green-he’s got a 4.5lb brown but his biggest green is only 3, lol! Shows you where we’ve been fishing the past 10 years (smallie lakes!)
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

13. Member
    Its on lakemaster if you get the most current version.
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRiverBandit View Post

14. Member
    I’m with jason- need something new. I’m off next week and we re staying at blue water. What’s a good ramp up on watts bar to use that is convenient to Dayton? Also fishing report would be great

15. Member
    Spring city marina or the ramp at watts dam (both are on the lower end of the lake
    )
    Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    I’m with jason- need something new. I’m off next week and we re staying at blue water. What’s a good ramp up on watts bar to use that is convenient to Dayton? Also fishing report would be great

Quote Originally Posted by chatabass View Post
    Spring city marina or the ramp at watts dam (both are on the lower end of the lake
    )
    Last info I had the ramp & area at the dam was closed due to vandalism. That was a few weeks ago.

17. Member
    We go there every October, stay at the Howard Johnson in Spring city, we use the ramp on east side of dam, on watts bar
    My brother thought that watts bar fishes more easy than other lakes, to be fare he knows how to fish
    Last year there was a lot of weeds or grass
    Going back 3rd week of October

Might want to check with TVA about the ramp at the dam. Area was closed due to vandalism ........

https://www.tva.com/energy/our-power...tric/watts-bar

19. Member
    We have a house on Watt Bar and have been fishing there for the last 35 years. I have seen it go from very good to terrible (TVA killed the grass- late 80s).
    The grass is now back and with the stocking of Florida Bass it's much much better. You will be amazed how light the boat traffic will be compared to Chick.
    We fish mostly whats considered mid-lake (Thief Neck island to Sand Island, Whites Creek area) late October through November can be very good. we mostly look for the bait balls in the back of creeks and cuts using Square Bills and Spinnerbaits. Also pay attention as at that time of year you may hook into a good Rockfish which is always fun as they also chase the shad. Have fun!!!

Thief Neck Island ..... A man after my own heart.

I've spent many nights at the cut-through and over next to the old chimney outside of Whites Creek. Also several places on the shelves on the RH bank going up river. Lots of great smallmouth fishing around the island.

When people ask me if I miss Tennessee, Watts Bar and night fishing is the first thing that comes to mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast