Vault hybrid oil questions

Anyone had any issues with using the hybrid oil? I had a lot of oil push out of the back seals after replacing.

Did you replace the seals with the ones used in the vault system?

3. Member
    not sure, purchased through ranger. Invoiced didn't have a part #. Any idea on what seal it calls for?

Didn't mention age of trailer. If you installed the correct seal -check the wear sleeve the seal rides on. If you can feel a groove, replace it and the O ring under it. Also, did you apply a thin film of RTV on the OD of the seal before install?

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

5. Member
    My guess is wrong sized seal. Many typical boat axles use a 2.56" OD x 1.72" ID seal, while the Dexter axles for the Vault system use a 2.56" OD x 1.68" ID seal.

6. Member
    its a 2013 ranger. The seal is correct to the 2.56" OD x 1.68 ID. I did was counter sunk the seal below the edge of the hub. I seen a video that said just to press flush. Any thoughts?

7. Member
    No wear sleeve on these spindles or o ring

Quote Originally Posted by OUTLAWMEDLER View Post
    No wear sleeve on these spindles or o ring
    There's your problem!

I think Vault Hubs would indicate this is a Dexter Axle. I just rebuilt all 4 hubs on a buddy's 2013 Phoenix trailer, they were Vault Hubs-Dexter axles. I replaced all 4 wear rings and O rings. Unless you really know what you are looking for it's had to identify a wear ring and a PITA to get them off. If you can feel a groove with your finger, seal surface is your issue. You mentioned you installed below flush. If you did this with hand tools and not an arbor press the seal might be cock eyed.

3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    I think Vault Hubs would indicate this is a Dexter Axle. I just rebuilt all 4 hubs on a buddy's 2013 Phoenix trailer, they were Vault Hubs-Dexter axles. I replaced all 4 wear rings and O rings. Unless you really know what you are looking for it's had to identify a wear ring and a PITA to get them off. If you can feel a groove with your finger, seal surface is your issue. You mentioned you installed below flush. If you did this with hand tools and not an arbor press the seal might be cock eyed.

Post #7. He didn't have to worry about getting them off, they weren't installed at all! As for the question about seal depth, just take a block of wood and a mallet with a clean shop rag between the block and seal, and drive the seals in until you're sure it's flush. This way your seal will never travel lower than the back of the hub.

Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    Post #7. He didn't have to worry about getting them off, they weren't installed at all! As for the question about seal depth, just take a block of wood and a mallet with a clean shop rag between the block and seal, and drive the seals in until you're sure it's flush. This way your seal will never travel lower than the back of the hub.
    That's the pretty typical way to install the rear seal. However if your spindle has wear in the seal fit area and you have access to an arbor press, you can easily press they 1/8" below flush and give the seal a new surface. I wouldn't try it at home with hand tools, you will get the seal cock eyed.

12. Member
    make sure you don't overfill it, I had a seal leak after only a one month with a brand new trailer,

I think the factory put too much grease in it and when it gets warm, it has to go somewhere?

13. Member
    i had to replace all 4 of my dexter vault hubs. Benchmark trailer from caymas boats. All 4 leaked grease everywhere, BRAND NEW.