Compass/Heading puck

When I'm out fishing, using my Solix 12 Gen 2 on the bow, I find my positioning of the map spinning from time to time because I'm not moving. Yes, I have heading selected as UP.
    My question is: If I add a compass heading puck, would it fix that problem?
    Thank you in advance.

2. Member
    If you don't have an external puck anywhere else on the boat, then yes I would suggest adding an external puck. The internal gps uses course over ground for heading (green heading line) and doesn't project below .6 mph.. The external will project an orangey heading line and will maintain a solid line at any level of speed. I have a s12 on the bow and a s10 at the helm and too many external pucks but it is nice to have them all at certain times. Mounting it in an area free of magnetic interference is the biggest challenge installing it.. I have 2 as gps hs pucks from hb.. In a networked solix setup u can split up the gps source between the units but the heading source selected will remain the same for all units on the network
    Last edited by G48; 09-01-2020 at 08:20 AM.

3. Member
    +1 on the Compass/Heading sensor. I recently installed one and it made a huge difference.

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I also recently installed one as well. My intent was solving this exact problem. When you install the puck, you can choose whether you want to use internal GPS or the external (puck) GPS. The key, however is to not use the GPS for "Course Up" display but rather use the Puck for "Heading Up" display. That pretty much totally stopped the back and forth motion. Also, I like to have the heading line displayed on my boat. I don't remember the exact terminology that is used but it is in the Chart settings. Again, you can select GPS Line or Heading Line to be displayed. At first, I displayed both to be sure that my heading sensor was aligned with the GPS sensor. The GPS line will bounce around but the Heading line will be much smoother.

There are debates on whether the puck or the internal GPS is better and I find that it varies depending on which satellites are being picked up at the time. The Puck doesn't have the ability to pick up the GLONASS satellites but the internal GPS receiver does.

In my case, the Puck was definitely a good addition.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    ask keep in mind if you are marking fish your gps location can be x feet from your transducer to your solix

i recently made the move to the puck and just like you got tired of the spinning. made a world of difference and also coming back to the marked area

Do you have an ultrex? If so, using that HS.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

7. Member
    Has to be a Link version on the Ultrex to be on the Solix network.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Yep, I should have said ipilot link ultrex....

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

9. Member
    I’m sure it’s probably already been discussed but can you give me a step by step instructions on how to get my ultrex link Puck to show heading line on my solix I have a external heading sensor that i used with my helix setup Since I’ve upgraded to the solix’s I never reinstalled the heading sensor It would be a lot easier to use the ultrex heading puck vs having to buy the cable to connect hs to solix and find a good place to mount it
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

Quote Originally Posted by catch5nRide View Post
    I’m sure it’s probably already been discussed but can you give me a step by step instructions on how to get my ultrex link Puck to show heading line on my solix I have a external heading sensor that i used with my helix setup Since I’ve upgraded to the solix’s I never reinstalled the heading sensor It would be a lot easier to use the ultrex heading puck vs having to buy the cable to connect hs to solix and find a good place to mount it
    The Heading sensor controls the map curser (boat symbol).

The heading line is turned on in the Chart menu:
    Chart Options
    General
    Vessel
    Hdg=check mark in the box
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Banned
    Wayne with a Helix is there anything box that needs to be checked when using a heading sensor? I have a G2N. ALso can I sync my I pilot remote with a helix

Quote Originally Posted by coachallen View Post
    Wayne with a Helix is there anything box that needs to be checked when using a heading sensor? I have a G2N
    Nothing like the SOLIX menu.

With a Helix, Heading Line is in the Nav menu==ON or OFF
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Banned
    Thank you

14. Member
    And For the 100 time. THANKS Wayne!! You sure make our lives a lot easier with Navigating these Humminbird’s thanks for always sharing your info
    Bullet 21xrs & xdc

15. Member
    I have 2 Helix 12's G3N units and 1 Heading puck mounted at the Helm. The unit at the Helm works great and icon does not spin. The bow unit I selected under Network tab and chose the External GPS puck, but my boat icon still spins. Is there another setting I need to change to share the external GPS between units?

Thanks for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Vols824 View Post
    I have 2 Helix 12's G3N units and 1 Heading puck mounted at the Helm. The unit at the Helm works great and icon does not spin. The bow unit I selected under Network tab and chose the External GPS puck, but my boat icon still spins. Is there another setting I need to change to share the external GPS between units?

Thanks for the help
    With Helix you can not share heading and gps separately. Thus if you do share it to the bow, any waypoints marked at the bow will be off by the distance to the puck.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    With Helix you can not share heading and gps separately. Thus if you do share it to the bow, any waypoints marked at the bow will be off by the distance to the puck.
    Is there anyway to put in an offset distance to the sensor ?

18. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    There is a heading offset setting in case the puck isn't exactly 100% in alignment with the boat but I've never seen anything that will give you a distance offset.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

Quote Originally Posted by River-Bandit View Post
    No.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex