A lesson from a PGA professional

As the title indicates, I took a lesson with a PGA professional. His name is Chase Wilson and he performs his instruction at the Columbus Country Club. I took the first lesson on 8/19/20.

After we exchange introductions, he has me define my golf swing to him. I was ultra critical of certain aspects of my swing.
    He has me get my nine iron and make six swings. He videos 3 of the swings from face on, and 3 down line. We then review the video. He has the software we have all seen on youtube, where he can draw lines and measure angles. I was surprised that my swing looked as good as it did and he stated there are no major flaws in the the swing, just some minor tweaking that will happen in future lessons.

However, my address position was flawed. For some reason, my hips and toe line were lined up to the target, but my shoulders were open, actually way open. My target with the 9 iron was a flag at 150 yards and my shoulders were pointed 30+ feet left of it. I have no idea why I stand this way and he only stated that is where my body felt comfortable. So, he stands behind me and has me turn my shoulders until he gets me lined up. Good lord, it felt like my shoulders were aimed 50 feet right of the target. Also, when I looked down at the ball, the position looked totally different. The first 10-15 swings felt way different and not good contact, but after 40+ balls I was starting to make solid contact. Also, I was able to generate more power with my body turn. By standing open, when I returned to impact I was open, which is loss of power in my swing. It was an awesome lesson and I left there thinking why did I not do this years ago. I have been practicing with the new shoulder position, but like anything else in life, change is not easy, especially when it feels so different. I still catch myself trying to slip back to my older shoulder position. Old habits die hard. My next lesson has already been scheduled.

A breif article about Chase. https://thegolfwire.com/chase-wilson...lf-instructor/
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

2. Member
    Great story and one I can relate to.
    My best friend got me into the game in 2012 and I saw immediately I needed help. I was getting frustrated to the point of quitting..... getting beat by 10-15 strokes every round was no fun.
    A package of 3 lessons at Golf galaxy peeled 10 strokes off my usual score, enough so that I now feel I can keep pace.
    However, there is always something that can be corrected, so I'll be lining up some lessons soon.
    Thanks for sharing.....

3. Member
    Took my first lesson in 50 years 2 weeks ago after losing 20 yards on my drive, extremely high and slicing to the right.
    Our club assistant pro immediately saw I was opening my hands and getting stuck, and rolling my hands over, way too much spin.
    3 items to work on, left shoulder higher than right, toe of driver down allll the way back, inside/out swing path going forward.
    Helped immediately, now just need to imprint it.
    Funny how you can be playing so well and then wham! Mystery enters your game. A little help from your friend or your PGA pro is a good thing.