Smallmouth Fishing in Oct

Looking to come up middle of October for some small mouth fishing. Where is the best small mouth bite in WI? Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    The bay up by Washington Island. True trophies are caught during the late fall.
    2013 BassCat Eyra
    Mercury Pro XS 250

3. Member
    Green Bay is mighty big water to gamble on for a trip. If I had a week or less I'd look at the Hayward area or Minocqua area. From Hayward you could day trip Chequamegon Bay if the weather allows. Grindstone, Big Round, and Lac Coutre Oreilles at 3000 to 5000 acres can be fished in the wind if it blows. I have 10-12 per hour SM days spring and fall and 20+" fish are there for the taking. Trees will be at or just past peak colors nice time to visit

4. Member
    Washington Island can be a little bit of a crapshoot with the weather but the fishing can be out of this world. I've been going up in October with some other guys almost every year since '05 or so, we fish 3 or 4 days (so call it 40 total days up there), think there have been 3 days I haven't been able to get out on the water because of the weather. Have had a few 100+ days of 3-5lbers, have gotten a handful over 6 and there have been 2 guys that have gotten one over 7. There have also been days where we've gotten like 10 fish but they're all over 4. The later you go, the fewer the fish but they are bigger.

The only real wind that will stop you from getting out is from the W/NW at 25+. If it's coming from the South you just launch out of Jackson Harbor on the north side of the Island and fish up there and if it's from the East or North you go out of Detroit Harbor. Big fish in the harbor too. It's the trip I look forward to most every year.

5. Member
    Thanks guys!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    Washington Island can be a little bit of a crapshoot with the weather but the fishing can be out of this world. I've been going up in October with some other guys almost every year since '05 or so, we fish 3 or 4 days (so call it 40 total days up there), think there have been 3 days I haven't been able to get out on the water because of the weather. Have had a few 100+ days of 3-5lbers, have gotten a handful over 6 and there have been 2 guys that have gotten one over 7. There have also been days where we've gotten like 10 fish but they're all over 4. The later you go, the fewer the fish but they are bigger.

The only real wind that will stop you from getting out is from the W/NW at 25+. If it's coming from the South you just launch out of Jackson Harbor on the north side of the Island and fish up there and if it's from the East or North you go out of Detroit Harbor. Big fish in the harbor too. It's the trip I look forward to most every year.
    In my opinion, any N or NW wind over 15mph is questionable, especially in a bass boat. I have almost 21' deep v walleye boat and last 2 years have fished in 15-25 NW wind. You need a kicker and front trolling motor running at same time to hold position or move. If wind is NW at over 15mph your trolling motor will be out of the water. I tend to fish end of oct into november up there and am usually only boat on the water, especially if it's windy. If you take ferry over to Washington island and stay in bays you will be fine. I usually drive up from weborg or sister bay. Little rougher ride than ferry for sure.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    In my opinion, any N or NW wind over 15mph is questionable, especially in a bass boat. I have almost 21' deep v walleye boat and last 2 years have fished in 15-25 NW wind. You need a kicker and front trolling motor running at same time to hold position or move. If wind is NW at over 15mph your trolling motor will be out of the water. I tend to fish end of oct into november up there and am usually only boat on the water, especially if it's windy. If you take ferry over to Washington island and stay in bays you will be fine. I usually drive up from weborg or sister bay. Little rougher ride than ferry for sure.
    Where you can fish can get limited for sure but there are plenty of fish in Detroit harbor and around the point from the potato dock. That's pretty easy fishing with a N wind, you can get over to the shore by West harbor too if it's only 15...not a fun ride but it's not that far. Straight W and you can usually get over to Washington harbor when you launch at Jackson and the lee side of Bowyers bluff will be slick calm. If you get seasick easy then it's not the place for you and you definitely have to be careful. We take the ferry over and stay on the island every time. I wouldn't run over there from the peninsula in a bass boat no matter what the weather was because it can turn too quick.