2001 Merc 200 EFI Charging System Not Working

Serial #OT334140. In testing, I verified I am getting zero output from my alternator. This has been going on all this season. It worked fine last year.

I think it must be my stator or voltage regulators, or maybe a fuse. The tachometer works fine off either voltage regulator (I know the regulators could still be defective according to the service manual). A dealer told me the odds are it is the voltage regs.

Additionally, the engine starts and runs perfectly thru the entire RPM range from 650 thru 5800+, so I do not think there is any serious ignition issues.

When I first connected the cranking battery this spring, I accidently touched the negative pole with the positive lead and caused a spark. Could this have damaged my stator or voltage regulators?

Just for the record, I had my transom rebuilt last winter, requiring removal and replacement of the engine, but i doubt this has anything to do with the problem.

Thank you for your ideas.

check the fuses, dont think have an alternator, there are fuses for the upper and lower regulators
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    ^^^^^ +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    All fixed. It was 2 blown fuses. I blew them when I accidently touched the positive cable lead to the negative battery post and it triggered quite a spark.

Thank you lpugh for your suggestuin.

5. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................