Braided line that doesn’t fade?

What is the best braid that doesn’t fade or fray out? Talking about 50 and 65 for heavy swim jigs and frogs. I’ve always been a regular power pro because it’s cheap and works fine. I’ve also used sunline fx2. Just wondering what else is out there and what all you guys use. Thanks

2. Member
    Out of all the braids I have tried I always end up going back to the regular Power Pro. Fading is no big deal, I blacken about 2' of line in front of my lure with a sharpie.

3. Member
    Fins pitch black has been out for a while. Hearing good things but havent tried it yet.Claims to never fade.

4. Member
    I purchased a spool of 40lb from a company called LYN. They had it in black which I liked over green anyway and so far I've been impressed. Only time will tell, but ive got probably 12 trips now and its on my most used rod and it still looks like the day I put it on. Havent had any issues breaking or anything wierd either. So far I'm happy with it.

I have tried a few other brands and always end up going back to Power Pro...guess its just never gave me any issues. The slight fade never bothers me either...like another post said, I always take a sharpie to the first few feet anyway.

6. Member
    I've tried most braids out there, and by far pline tcb8 holds it's color better than any of them. It's also very smooth, round, and casts great! This is the only braid i use anymore.

7. Member
    Fish don't mind if it's faded.

Yeah, I blacken it too so fading is a non-issue.

9. Member
    Viscous makes the only braid that legitimately won't fade.

10. Member
    I used to blacken PP but one day I looked at the light green and it looked pretty good to me in moderately stained and clear water. Seemed liked it might even blend in better than the dark green.

11. Member
    Vicious is the only braid that won’t fade over time that I know of, but you’re paying a premium price for something that imo doesn’t impact performance
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

12. Member
    Izorline, the braid you've never heard of, has braid that holds it's color very well. Lot of west coast sport boats use it as well as bass guys use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    Izorline, the braid you've never heard of, has braid that holds it's color very well. Lot of west coast sport boats use it as well as bass guys use it.
    That's what I use. The initial use will remove some of the green color. But, after a trip or two, it's fine.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Member
    Sunline FX2 does well for me in those sizes, doesn't fade hardly at all. Suffix fades, as does power pro.

15. Member
    Excuse my ignorance, but what’s the point in recoloring the braid? The same people tying to straight braid are the same ones who say the fish don’t pay attention to it. Or is recoloring so you can watch your line better?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5 by 3 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what’s the point in recoloring the braid? The same people tying to straight braid are the same ones who say the fish don’t pay attention to it. Or is recoloring so you can watch your line better?
    On my frog rod where I tie straight to the braid I am fishing in cover like grass, slop or pads and It seems like in those situations green or black is harder for the fish to see than the faded white color, however on my flipping setup or just about any other situation that I use braid I have a mono or floro leader so it doesn't really matter then.

The frog rod is the one where I'd rather it be light colored. If you think about it, assuming the fish care about/can actually see that line (which is debatable, especially when fishing around cover), they're looking up at a frog. In my mind, at worst it all looks the same as it's all just going to be a dark silhouette against the sky. At best, if they can see the color, then wouldn't you want something faded so it blends in with the bright, light colored sky? If they can see the color of the line, it seems black or very dark colored line would stand out the most and be the most visible when looking up.

The only reason faded line bugs me is when I've got a color that I've chosen so that I can line watch. I run a lot of orange or pink braid for that reason as it stands out the best while the yellows and greens tend to blend in with the water I'm fishing that often has a green tint anyway and otherwise has a lot of vegetation. When it fades, it's not as easy to see. I'd like to find some stuff that comes in orange or pink that won't fade, but I've yet to find that.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

18. Member
    I've been using the Vicious No-Fade braid for the last two years. It does not fade at all. But, as stated, it comes at a cost. A little over $50 for a 300 yard spool (although it was actually $75 for a 300 yard spool when it first came out, so at least it's come down in price). It's the best braid I've used as I haven't had any issues with fraying or breakage. Maybe the loss of color doesn't matter to the fish, maybe it does. For me I just feel more confident fishing with a dark green line instead of a milky white colored one (I used Sufix 832 before and it loses its color very quickly). I also hate getting the green colored dye on my fingers or my reels.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    Viscous makes the only braid that legitimately won't fade.
    Agreed.....I've some spinning reels spooled up for 2 years their no fade braid and it really doesn't fade.....

To me, its not only the fading its what the braid leaves behind. I had Suffix 832 on a top water baitcaster and by the end of the season the line while tough, faded to white and left all kinds of green dye crud on the reel. It really made a mess. For that reason, I will not use 832 again.
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

20. Member
    I love sun line but "c'mon man" that sh*t fades faster than a november sun. I still use it due to casting abilities but I have found myself going back to spider wire and a sharpie for the price point....