Truck bed sleeping

Anyone sleep in their truck beds? Any pics of shells with sleeping arrangements? Looking to get a shell and build something a guy could use on a weekend. Just looking for ideas.

thanks in advance!

2. Member
    Years ago, I did a 3+ week trip out west visiting National Parks in Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Wyoming etc. in a short bed, conventional cab, half ton pick up. I had a $100 used aluminum shell as my "tent". I built a shelf from the front of the truck bed back to about the axle. It was at the level of the top of the truck bed and the legs supporting it were next to the side of the truck bed, leaving the middle of the truck bed open. I used a piece of 3 or 4 inch foam as a mattress and slept with my feet under the shelf and my head at the tailgate. Clothes and light gear on the shelf. Stove, folding chair, and heavy gear beside where I slept. The trip was mostly solo, but a friend joined me for a week. He slept beside me and we put the "heavy stuff" outside or in the cab. I was in my middle 30s and was never uncomfortable. It was one of the best vacations of my life. Sorry, no pics of the back of the truck.

3. Member
    That’s sounds like an awesome trip for sure. Amazing how simple things bring about the most pleasure.

thanks for responding!

I used to take my kids on a camping trip during spring break when they were in kindergarten/first grade years. That was 20 years ago, had a 93 Chevy extended cab and had a fiberglass camper shell. We had a camp box with our cook stuff, 2 Coleman lanterns and a 3 burner Coleman stove passed down from my Dad. I had camo mesh netting that I would pin to the rear window of the camper shell with clothes pins and leave the window raised. The side windows had screens so pretty much mosquito/bug resistant.
    Then we used a blow up mattress. Good Times!