Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I'm the same. Have driven a Chevy or GMC since the late 60s. My wife says I'll end up going to the Chevy dealer in the end. We'll see.

2. Member
    Me too, until the Ram I have today I had driven nothing but Chevy or GMC since I got my license over 30 years ago. After my last one I decided it was time to stop being brand loyal and look at all that the market had to offer. GM was not loyal to me as a long term customer in dealing with a truck that was for all intents a lemon so why should I be loyal to them?

When the time comes to replace the Ram i will shop them all again. It’s probably going to be sooner than later since the wife and I are talking about a 5th wheel rv and a possible transition to full time RV life. If we decide to get one I will need a 1 ton to pull it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    Me too, until the Ram I have today I had driven nothing but Chevy or GMC since I got my license over 30 years ago. After my last one I decided it was time to stop being brand loyal and look at all that the market had to offer. GM was not loyal to me as a long term customer in dealing with a truck that was for all intents a lemon so why should I be loyal to them?

When the time comes to replace the Ram i will shop them all again. It’s probably going to be sooner than later since the wife and I are talking about a 5th wheel rv and a possible transition to full time RV life. If we decide to get one I will need a 1 ton to pull it.
    We just sold our Grand Design 5th wheel and 2018 Silverado 3500 duramax. The truck pulled the camper with no problem but the ride was horrible. My wife's back could not take all the bouncing of the truck because of the weight of the 5th wheel. Our last camping trip was only 2.5 hours from home. When we got there her back was really hurting so I knew then that the rig was going up for sale. The payload of the camper was well within the limits of the 3500. I drove the Ram limited with air suspension. It rode well. I'm going to drive the same truck with spring suspension to see the difference. Will be looking at the Ford this week. Lots of people on here like their F150 EcoBoost. Good luck on your next purchase.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF View Post
    We just sold our Grand Design 5th wheel and 2018 Silverado 3500 duramax. The truck pulled the camper with no problem but the ride was horrible. My wife's back could not take all the bouncing of the truck because of the weight of the 5th wheel. Our last camping trip was only 2.5 hours from home. When we got there her back was really hurting so I knew then that the rig was going up for sale. The payload of the camper was well within the limits of the 3500. I drove the Ram limited with air suspension. It rode well. I'm going to drive the same truck with spring suspension to see the difference. Will be looking at the Ford this week. Lots of people on here like their F150 EcoBoost. Good luck on your next purchase.
    how did you like the grand design? It’s one of the brands we have on our short list. Our plan is to go full time while we are still young enough to enjoy it so it would be our home. We are also considering some others like luxe, drv and others. We are looking at a toyhauker style so I can haul our motorcycles as well.
    Last edited by jb882; 08-30-2020 at 09:20 PM.

5. Member

6. Member
    RAM Hemi.......Search is over

7. Member
    On my ram limited with air suspension I can lower it at the touch of a button to 4”inches I believe is what it is, makes it super easy for my wife to get in and out. I love my RAM, my next truck will be another one. Good luck with whatever you buy I’m sure you’ll love it

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    how did you like the grand design? It’s one of the brands we have on our short list. Our plan is to go full time while we are still young enough to enjoy it so it would be our home. We are also considering some others like luxe, drv and others. We are looking at a toyhauker style so I can haul our motorcycles as well.
    WE like the grand design camper. We haven't had any issues with it yet. Id buy another one if I were looking. Their toy haulers(momentum) are nice campers. their website is granddesignrv.com.

9. Member
    WE like the grand design camper. We haven't had any issues with it yet. Id buy another one if I were looking. Their toy haulers(momentum) are nice campers. their website is granddesignrv.com.
    Thanks, i have researched them quite a bit but its always good to hear from someone that has owned one. How long did you have it, and how much did you use it?

At this point i need to get in one and see how its built etc, i hope they are at the Boston RV show in Jan so i can check one out. The one we like the most of all the units we have researched of any brand floor plan wise is the Momentum 376ths. It has a very unique floorplan for a toyhauler and would make a great full timer. It has a big living area like any other 5th wheel with just enough room to store the bikes in its mini garage under the bed in the rear. With this one you don't seem to sacrifice living space for a garage area. I would just need to eliminate one of the couches and replace it with a desk since i would also be working full time( i telecommute now) which would be no big deal to do.

So far we have only seen a Luxe first hand since we started researching them a few months back and the fit, finish and materials are top notch but boy are they expensive. Everything is done with a great deal of craftsmanship even the things you cant see on a casual look are done well, they don't seem to cut corners anywhere. Things like inside the underbelly where every wire and pipe and duct is fastened neatly and done in an orderly fashion instead of a jumbled mess like i have seen in lots of other units including our little Jayco we have today( i would never buy another Jayco).
    Last edited by jb882; 08-31-2020 at 07:25 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    On my ram limited with air suspension I can lower it at the touch of a button to 4”inches I believe is what it is, makes it super easy for my wife to get in and out. I love my RAM, my next truck will be another one. Good luck with whatever you buy I’m sure you’ll love it
    Do you use yours to hitch the trailer too? That's where i use mine the most. I have my trailers setup at a height i can lower the truck to entry mode, back under the hitch raise it to off road 2 and its on the ball and off the jack. Makes hitching so easy.

Good luck with your truck research and purchase. I would, however, recommend against any power retractable running boards or steps. The usually end up being more trouble than they're worth. I have them on my 2016 Suburban and now they are in the down position all of the time after I pulled the fuse. Sometimes they wouldn't go up. Sometimes they wouldn't go down. Not going down was dangerous at times if you were stepping out of the vehicle expecting a step to be there and it wasn't.
    __________________________________________________ _____________
    2005 Lund Rebel SS 1650 w/25 HP Merc 4-stroke
    USAF 1985 - 2006 NKAWTG!

12. Member
    I will disagree with some, the retractable steps from AMP, or the Ford OEM ones on the Platinum, King Ranch and Limited (and as an option on the Lariat) are outstanding and, on my opinion, the single best option on the truck. I will not own one without them now after having them for years.

Like anything, take care of them and they will work great without any problems. Even up here in MN with our winters and crappy, salt and sand roads.

Since Ford moved away from AMP a few years ago I think the AMP steps are better by a slight margin. Overall they are both pretty similar. Current Platinum has them, my last FX4 (2013) I installed the AMP steps.

I'm the same. Have driven a Chevy or GMC since the late 60s. My wife says I'll end up going to the Chevy dealer in the end. We'll see.
    Same here. Nothing but Chevys and GMCs since I was 15. Last year I went with the Ram. Haven't regretted it yet.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

14. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    What I have found so far is Ford, Ram and Chevy offer the retractable steps. It looks like they are offered on the higher prices models which doesn't go well with my lower retirement model.

Thanks Al. I'll check into that. You're right, those retractable steps are expensive. $3,500 is the average for that option.
    I think I’ve seen Aftermarket retractable steps for around $1,000. I just got a 2020 Bighorn level 2 and love it. Got the eco diesel. Getting 31mpg on Hwy. can go 500 miles on a tank.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12