Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbme View Post
    I built two rods on the MB 736 X ray blanks. Both of them are built as casting rods, but I have plans on building a spinning rod on one in the near future. It will make an awesome spinning rod. Especially for what you're looking to do with it. I use my rods primarily for tubes and football head jigs in deeper water. Normally using 1/4 oz tube jig heads, and 3/8 oz football jigs on 12 - 15# fluorocarbon line. The MB 736 X ray is one bad ass blank.
    I may have to try one of the mb's one of these days. I chose the sj because I fish a lot of brush around docks and felt I needed a little more power to get them out. The mb sounds like it'd be great for offshore using football jigs and big worms.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhjr. View Post
    I may have to try one of the mb's one of these days. I chose the sj because I fish a lot of brush around docks and felt I needed a little more power to get them out. The mb sounds like it'd be great for offshore using football jigs and big worms.
    It's a great off shore rod, which is what I got them for. I don't throw a lot of big stuff with them though. The biggest being a 1/2 oz football jig with trailer. It fishes that just fine, but a 3/8 oz football jig with trailer really seems to be the sweet spot. And I get what you're saying about power. I don't use mine for heavy cover, but it's an awesome blank for Senkos around docks, and flukes in moderate weeds as well.

3. Member
    Can anyone comment on the power of the SJ 736 at higher weights? Any issues with a 1/2 or 3/4 oz football jig or carolina rig with 3/4oz weight and lure.

Quote Originally Posted by purple_champ193 View Post
    Can anyone comment on the power of the SJ 736 at higher weights? Any issues with a 1/2 or 3/4 oz football jig or carolina rig with 3/4oz weight and lure.
    I'd look toward the MB7108 or 7109 for that. If you're cutting down to 7'3 or shorter, probably go with the 7109; else if leaving 7'6" up to the full length of 7'10", go with the 7108.

The 7108 makes one hell of a flipping rod too, for whatever that's worth. The 7109 would probably be the one to use if you were wanting to build a punching rod, though I punch with my 7108 here in MN (not Florida level punching, of course...my max is usually 1 oz tungsten + skirt and plastic).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12