RT 188 Battery Question

I have a 2015 RT 188 with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke and I’m going to be replacing the batteries soon. My question is do you turn the breaker switch off when charging? I read about this in the lounge and I never thought about it, does it make a difference? Also what batteries are you using? I’m probably just going to get some more Interstate’s, five years is pretty good for a set of batteries!

2. Member
    I turn my main and trolling motor breakers off before plugging in the charger. I also have a third breaker in the bilge that powers a separate fuse panel for my graphs that I turn off too. Minnkota Trolling motors still have voltage going to the control board even though the switch is off. Today’s electronics can have filtering circuits in them before the power switch. A voltage spike from the charger could damage your TM or your graphs.
    It has just become a habit to open the rear hatch and turn off the breakers before I plug the charger in. I figure it’s better to be safe than sorry.

3. Member
    Breakers get turned off after loading the boat and prepping to leave the lake. I see no reason to chance something getting fried.

Quote Originally Posted by billwvu05 View Post
    Breakers get turned off after loading the boat and prepping to leave the lake. I see no reason to chance something getting fried.
    THIS ^^^ is exactly what I always did. Everstarts are as good a battery as any and they can be quickly exchanged at any Wally World if you have a problem.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    I use 27 Series Duracell AGM for my Ultrex. I have a 31 series Duracell for my motor/Helex units. Will ask dealer if turning off is recommended because I haven't in the 3 boats I've owned with boat mounted chargers since 2012.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

6. Member
    If you were happy with what you had then repeat it. I jumped from the original 27's to 31agms and they were way too heavy for that boat! I ultimately switched to lithiums. Just as a general rule, if you can upgrade to 27agms do it, really good idea to get the wet cell lead acid batteries out of an aluminum boat.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    I use a group 27 to start the motor and two group 29's for the trolling motor. I've read that the breakers should be set to "off" when charging but I've left mine on 99% of the time for the past 6 years without any trouble and I probably have my boat plugged in more than most since I live on a lake. I do unplug my graphs in most instances when changing but not always. When I am in Canada and know I will be going right back out (like coming in for breakfast or lunch), I leave everything plugged in when I hook up the charger and have never had an issue.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    i do not own a ranger but the electrical systems on bass boats are pretty much all the same. I use perko shutoffs to disconnect both the trolling circuit and the main circuit. This prevents anything from being exposed to the PWM charging signals and prevents any load from draining the batteries. This also prevents any accidental ignition of the engine. The disconnect for the main/starting circuit can be locked with a key in case I wanted to leave it at a dock unattended.

AGM batteries are a big positive for use in a tin boat. I have a group 31 agm for the main battery and two group 27s for the trolling motor.
    Last edited by Transom; 08-30-2020 at 02:54 PM.

I have a RT 188. I turn the breakers off when charging. The ULTREX instructions tell you to do this and why not follow their advice. If anybody would know, I would expect it to be them.

Also I have the two biggest Sam's Duracell AGM batteries they sell for the TM. The weight is no problem. They are great batteries so far. They have a lot of advantages, one of which is getting the open acid out of an aluminum boat.

Wanted to add this...these batteries charge really really fast. I do not like leaving the charger on there all the time. I bought a manual dial timer for 120 volts. I turn the dial to about 2 or 3 hours and they charge, then the charger goes off. I live on a lake and plug them in soon as I get back and lift the boat.
    Last edited by Panama; 08-30-2020 at 09:21 PM.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billwvu05 View Post
    This is what I have always done.

I am about to replace my Optima's with Ionic Lithium's in the near future just to shave some weight off.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

11. Member
    Forgot to add that I am running 2 Optima 31's for trolling and an X2 27 for cranking. Seems to be a pretty good setup. 4 years on the Optimas and still going strong. The x2 is more than adequate for my 3 Carbon 9's. Only 1 season in on it but so far so good.

Yes, trolling motor batteries circuit breaker off as well as crank battery circuit breaker while charging or anytime I’m not using the boat.
    2020 Ranger RT188P
    Mercury 115 ProXS CT/23P Tempest/Atlas Hydraulic 6”/Sportsman 2 Powerpoles/Ultrex 80
    Humminbird Helix 9 MSI/Humminbird Helix 9 MDI+/Humminbird Mega 360

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by ILbassin View Post
    Yes, trolling motor batteries circuit breaker off as well as crank battery circuit breaker while charging or anytime I’m not using the boat.
    When I turn both my breakers to OFF my outboard will still start. The graphs and the trolling motor won't work but the outboard fires up. Seems to me that it shouldn't but it definitely does.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    When I turn both my breakers to OFF my outboard will still start. The graphs and the trolling motor won't work but the outboard fires up. Seems to me that it shouldn't but it definitely does.
    Mine is the same way, no shut-off for the outboard. I plan on putting a main shut-off switch in this winter.

There are two wiring harnesses hooked to the starting battery, one for the boat and one for the motor. I added a cutoff switch and attached both positive cables to the output side. You will require a short jumper wire from the battery to the switch for the motor harness.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I have a RT 188. I turn the breakers off when charging. The ULTREX instructions tell you to do this and why not follow their advice. If anybody would know, I would expect it to be them.

Also I have the two biggest Sam's Duracell AGM batteries they sell for the TM. The weight is no problem. They are great batteries so far. They have a lot of advantages, one of which is getting the open acid out of an aluminum boat.

Wanted to add this...these batteries charge really really fast. I do not like leaving the charger on there all the time. I bought a manual dial timer for 120 volts. I turn the dial to about 2 or 3 hours and they charge, then the charger goes off. I live on a lake and plug them in soon as I get back and lift the boat.
    Some folks don't read the manual. Our Minnkota service tech said he sees a few every year that obviously had board damage from the charger.

If you have a good charger leave it plugged in. The circuitry is designed to turn the charge off and monitor the state of the battery. Most folks think that because there is a light on a circuit is doing it's thing but that isn't the case many times. Today it's easy to design circuits that "wake" another circuit if needed. On a good charger the light you see after full charge is letting you know the batteries are being monitored and not necessarily charged. There is no danger with leaving it connected all the time.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    There is no reason to cut the motor off. I had some issues and the first thing they checked was for amp draw with the switch off. If working properly it's zero.

Quote Originally Posted by pfisher View Post
    There is no reason to cut the motor off. I had some issues and the first thing they checked was for amp draw with the switch off. If working properly it's zero.
    The reason I installed the motor isolation switch was the motor frequently trimmed down by itself. Once it tried to trim down against the transom saver all night. Killed the battery.
    It took several weeks to isolate and fix the problem so I installed the battery cutoff as a temporary measure. It became a habit to turn it off at the ramp and I just consider it an extra precaution.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching