Youghiogheny Dam 8-28-2020

Another trip to the mighty Youghiogheny. This time I left my Skeeter at home as I was invited to fish with a good friend on his boat. I met him at the RT 40 launch. I noticed a big difference between the Rt 40 launch at the bridge and the launch at the dam. You have to get all four wheels in the water at the Rt 40 launch. The water is down and this ramp isn't as steep.

Now let's speak a little about the water level. I have been on the lake when it has been full and of course much, much lower. But this current level is weird. What looks like deep water turns out to be less than a foot. Not more true than when you cross the into Maryland. Watch those mud flats and stay in the channel. Of course you could act like a pro or a billionaire and just trim your motor way up and hope to skim over the mud flats. That really works great except for that rare stump or rock.

I fished basically in 5 hours of storms and rain. It rain so hard the water on the lake was jumping. So a big shout out to the cheap set of Frogg Toggs that kept me 100% dry.

Since I was a guest I'm not at liberty to add much fishing details. Hopefully I might get out Sunday and can share more of those details. However if you read my posts I you know I like shallow water.

They have a bass tournament today. So if I can get the old body out of bed you will find me fish the docks and beach area tomorrow at sunrise.

Fishing is still good at the Yough and I will share a photo of the day. What was cool about the fish is that another large bass was fighting to get the same bait that hooked this fish. It was cool watching the action as my buddy was brining the fish in.

20200828_162955.jpg

2. Member
    Nice fish. I've never been there but fish dcl all the time. Going back up this week and want to fish the yough. Any patterns working better than others? Thanks.

3. Member
    The water there is low and i have heard that they ask the people who have boats on the water to get the boats out by Sept. 1st. I was in the tourney Sat and i did't see them taking boats off. Chris1009 when are you looking on going down this week?

4. Member
    I stayed on dcl as they were biting really good. Shallow docks and a food concentration moved onto the grass. I'll be up the week of 9/21 and am definitely hitting the yough for the first time.

5. Member
    Anyone recommend the best campground on the lake? I have a TX there coming up in the fall��

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allison8 View Post
    Anyone recommend the best campground on the lake? I have a TX there coming up in the fall��
    Yough Lake Campground at Tub Run is probably the best bet. I think they are only open through the second week or so of October. I'm sure their boat launch is high and dry as well.