Chatterbait question

When you get a tap or slap on a chatterbait do you keep cranking steady, let it drop or twitch it or something else? Just starting to do good with it and I want to keep refining my technique.

2. Member
    I just keep reeling

Agree with Tyler. I've had some days where I needed to stop it or something to get them to take it, but day in and day out if you just keep reeling that rod will usually load up in short order. If anything I might do a half handle turn at a little faster pace to try to get them to commit.

I think it's pretty counter-intuitive as it seems like when a fish slaps a bait it would be more natural if you kill it, sort of imitating the fish having "stunned" whatever it thinks it's going after, but this rarely seems to work for me. The best I can come up with is that a lot of times what you feel with the chatterbait is the fish nosing up on it but not actually hitting it...chatterbaits throw off so much vibration that when a fish gets close it disrupts the blade enough to feel like they actually hit it when in reality they haven't. Not sure if that's what's really happening or not, just my thoughts on it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360