Thread: Bad water

Bad water

Well, I guess all good things come to an end....

been having some really spectacular bass fishing here around the house for a while now... 3-4 foot storm surge pushed a whole bunch of saltwater in... made a little quick trip this evening, and the marsh smells really really bad... I caught 6 lil bass, but saw way more dead....

I watched birds feeding for 2 whole days across the lil stretch of marsh across the highway from my front door.. figured water pushed a bunch of shrimp and bait in to the marsh... shrimp were being caught in chef pass in cast nets last week..

im gonna go do more running around tomorrow and check other areas but I’m afraid Laura might have wiped out a good bit of bass..

bienvenue should be fine, they closed the lock the other day.. I’m hoping a healthy number of bass over here in the chef area were able to escape the salt water..

we had more surge for cristobal and I don’t remember finding any dead fish but I don’t think it was as salty...

2. Member
    It will probably be spotty on this deal.

3. Member
    Agreed. We went to clean up at our camp across Lake DeCade yesterday, and I didn’t see any, or smell any dead fish. Hurricane Barry last year hit us harder than Laura

4. Member
    I found a new spot yesterday with plenty.. caught about 30 with several 2 pounders mixed in.... I’m going to check another new spot this evening...

I don’t think it’s gonna be as bad as I first thought.. spot where I found dead ones is pretty much a dead end area... I believe areas that are open ended will be fine... I don’t think the salt killed the ones I found, I think the surge sucking dead water out of dead shallow marsh killed them..

5. Member
    Tried a new spot today... clean lake water passing through it.... it was stacked full of 8-10 inchers.. I caught 10 in about 20 minutes with the trolling motor on high... left them biting to find a spot at the end that looked good on the map for speckled trout or redfish... I struck out on trout or reds but ran out of daylight too.. I’m gonna shoot to go hit it at daylight if the wind isn’t bad...