2006 Optimax 225 prop questions

2006 Optimax 225(Serial # 1B256176) pushing a Mako 2201 bay boat. So I have a question about my prop and figured you guys may be able to help. After replacing the #6 direct injector, boat seems to be running great. See that thread here ----> http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1075017.

Currently, I have a Laser II 23P Model# 48-16548. Me and the wife in the boat with full tank of gas(60 gallon) it takes off good but tops out at 51 MPH and 5100-5200 RPM trimmed out. Does this seem like a good number for my setup? What would a 4 blade prop do for me? Max RPM shows 5750 on the tag. Thanks

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you using a Smartcraft Instrument for the RPM Readings? Analog tachometers are notoriously inaccurate and should not be used for Propping info.

That being said- there are absolutely some better prop choices for your rig/setup.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Are you using a Smartcraft Instrument for the RPM Readings? Analog tachometers are notoriously inaccurate and should not be used for Propping info.

That being said- there are absolutely some better prop choices for your rig/setup.
    Yes sir that RPM reading is from my vesselview mobile via my phone. It's fairly close to what the analog gauge reads within 100-200 rpm. I'm all ears on different setups.

4. Member
    Boat.jpg

Pic of said boat

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Look around with some friends, etc. and see if you can find someone that has a 19-21 pitch prop from the Tempest Plus, Mirage, Enertia, or Rev-4. The idea here is to get a general benchmark from a prop that's at least remotely well suited to your boat type/setup.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Look around with some friends, etc. and see if you can find someone that has a 19-21 pitch prop from the Tempest Plus, Mirage, Enertia, or Rev-4. The idea here is to get a general benchmark from a prop that's at least remotely well suited to your boat type/setup.
    Will do. So you're saying the laser 2 is not even close to being right for my setup?

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    JMHO... I probably would have put an aluminum prop on that boat before I grabbed a Laser-II.

8. Member
    JMHO... I probably would have put an aluminum prop on that boat before I grabbed a Laser-II.
    It was on the boat when I bought it. Forgive me for the rookie questions I'm just trying to understand the basics of propping correctly. Thanks for your help

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No problem- just wanted you to understand that the current prop wasn't something most of us would grab for that setup.

10. Member
    No problem- just wanted you to understand that the current prop wasn't something most of us would grab for that setup.
    Got ya. Wish I had access to some props to test. I'll have to check around. Is there a certain family of motors that use the same hub size? Might help narrow it down

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As far as Hub Size, virtually any V6 Mercury that has a 1" propshaft will use a compatible (Flo-Torq type) hub.

12. Member
    Thanks for the help. I tried a 21p Solas prop which was much better than the 23p laser 2 but still only got me to 5400 rpms. Found a Mirage plus 19P and I’m loving it. Hole shot is great and it runs up to the 5650 in a hurry and 54mph which is fine for me. Wanted to post my results in case anyone was searching.