Took a Demo ride in 21' Caymus today

Got an extra spot in my garage beside my Ranger 2020 521L. Friend had a brand new 21' Caymus parked beside my Ranger. Was really easy to compare apples to apples when they sit side by side. Overall, was very impressed. Sure, there are a few thing not to my liking. My Ranger has a few things also. I was impressed with the Caymus. We took the Caymus out for a spin on the lake and was impressed with the ride on rough water. I trade boats frequently. Ranger have lost direction with service and parts. Caymus is under consideration. One thing that I didn't check on the Caymus. The control panel for the pumps and stuff with all the push buttons. Is the identification of each button illuminated???

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

2. Member
    Buttons are illuminated and u can get a touch screen that will run all functions as well. I’m on 5 or 6th trip and like it more each time. Caymas makes a damn fine boat- my favorite and I’ve had rangers Phoenix nitro and few others - hell I liked them all but this cx21 is a dandy this far

3. Member
    The buttons do light up, with item pictures on each button.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Is the identification of each button illuminated???
    Yes sir they sure do!!

5. Member
    What didn’t you like about the Caymas?
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by HH45cal View Post
    Buttons are illuminated and u can get a touch screen that will run all functions as well. I’m on 5 or 6th trip and like it more each time. Caymas makes a damn fine boat- my favorite and I’ve had rangers Phoenix nitro and few others - hell I liked them all but this cx21 is a dandy this far
    This one had the touch screen, pretty innovative. Didn't play with it much. Will it display Mercury engine data like a smart craft; engine hours, fault, fuel consumption?

3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

7. Member
    It will display engine hours. Not the other stated. I still haven't received my viper steering wheel in almost a year.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    What didn’t you like about the Caymas?
    I didn't like the rear ladder. I often fish in winter. If I hit the drink over the bow in cold water I want a ladder readily available. Looks like a pain to lift pin, deploy and then fold out steps. Seemed like the step to front deck could have easily been 2" taller for more storage. Same for center console between seats. Also needs more USB ports.

There's several things I don't like with my 2020 Ranger also; cant balance load with one fuel tank and divided livewell, only has 1 floor drain-when fishing solo in the rain when I sit at console-my feet are in 1"water. Building boats for 52 years and can't drain water from a floor??? Hot Foot mounted directly under center of console, gotta sit cockeyed?

9. Member
    I might be crazy but 2 usb in storage box by steering wheel and another by drivers seat. U can also by a y cable with 2 usb feeding to one- I have one from my last boat

10. Member
    Those are minor issues I can live with! I don’t care about the USB ports. A little bigger storage compartments would be nice. My only concern is the ladder, I take my kids on the boat and always go swimming. Getting in and out of the boat is very important. I’ve had questions about the ladder since I’ve seen it in a video.
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

11. Member
    The ladder is actually really easy and user friendly. We have had our's out for a weekend of riding/exploring and swimming. Deploys easily and the grab handles on the back make it easy to get in and out of the boat.

12. Member
    I agree on the storage console between the seats, it could definitely be bigger and set up better.

13. Member
    Latter is no problem at all, me and two more was in that boat in the river, he went out with only his undies on, pulled our way around back of boat lowered the ladder and climbed in no issues.
    Last edited by CaymasRodney; 09-10-2020 at 06:19 AM.

14. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgthagins View Post
    The ladder is actually really easy and user friendly. We have had our's out for a weekend of riding/exploring and swimming. Deploys easily and the grab handles on the back make it easy to get in and out of the boat.
    I definitely agree the ladder is nice and easy to use. Showed the kids one time how it works, and they can climb in and out of the boat all day. Same with me too. I have no issue using the ladder.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    I didn't like the rear ladder. I often fish in winter. If I hit the drink over the bow in cold water I want a ladder readily available. Looks like a pain to lift pin, deploy and then fold out steps. Seemed like the step to front deck could have easily been 2" taller for more storage. Same for center console between seats. Also needs more USB ports.

There's several things I don't like with my 2020 Ranger also; cant balance load with one fuel tank and divided livewell, only has 1 floor drain-when fishing solo in the rain when I sit at console-my feet are in 1"water. Building boats for 52 years and can't drain water from a floor??? Hot Foot mounted directly under center of console, gotta sit cockeyed?
    Those sound like minor gripes to me on the Caymas. For your Ranger you can always put in another floor drain or two and also reposition the hot foot mounting.

Looks to me like the Caymas fuel tank is in the floor running front to back between the stringers I'm assuming. If this is the case I wonder why no under seat storage is available on the drivers and passengers sides?

Quote Originally Posted by #1MagicStick View Post
    Those sound like minor gripes to me on the Caymas. For your Ranger you can always put in another floor drain or two and also reposition the hot foot mounting.

Looks to me like the Caymas fuel tank is in the floor running front to back between the stringers I'm assuming. If this is the case I wonder why no under seat storage is available on the drivers and passengers sides?
    Because the seats or on adjustable slides.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John B. View Post
    Because the seats or on adjustable slides.
    Makes sense but they could offer that as an option I would guess.

18. Member
    what kind of speed do they have?

19. Member
    The Caymus is a beautiful boat for sure!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

20. Member
    If Caymas has the fuel tank in the floor running front to back, I would think it would definitely feel like a solid ride.