Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Rodney,
    I'm coming out of a Z520C and had a Z520 over the past 10 years, and the first thing I was concerned about was the width of the front deck on the .204 vs. my Z520C. I can say there were several factors that helped me make the decision to go with the Ballistic .204. I've always been a fan of a good handling and high performance boat with good quality, I started with Champion years ago. When I got into Rangers, the quality was very high, with tons of bells and whistles but the rough water handling and high performance was not necessarily up there. I do have to say, when spending time at the factory with Jim, looking at Craigs boat and being in it, I did not get the impression the deck was 12" narrower where I place my rods, however, yes it is narrower than the aircraft carrier deck of the Z520C. However, I've accepted that altogether I can manage with maybe a rod less on each side and have a great performing, handling and outstanding quality boat that I can still enjoy true performance in before I get to darned old
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Ranger Z520 L IS 76 inches wide over the pedestal, if the Ball is 64 inches same place that a whole lot to give up on the front of that boat for fishing. Before i every ordered that 204 i would have to have one on the water some week end to actually get some fishing questions answered for sure.
    .204 Ballistic 300R - Speed, Ride, Fishability!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n_texas_basser View Post
    Rodney,
    I'm coming out of a Z520C and had a Z520 over the past 10 years, and the first thing I was concerned about was the width of the front deck on the .204 vs. my Z520C. I can say there were several factors that helped me make the decision to go with the Ballistic .204. I've always been a fan of a good handling and high performance boat with good quality, I started with Champion years ago. When I got into Rangers, the quality was very high, with tons of bells and whistles but the rough water handling and high performance was not necessarily up there. I do have to say, when spending time at the factory with Jim, looking at Craigs boat and being in it, I did not get the impression the deck was 12" narrower where I place my rods, however, yes it is narrower than the aircraft carrier deck of the Z520C. However, I've accepted that altogether I can manage with maybe a rod less on each side and have a great performing, handling and outstanding quality boat that I can still enjoy true performance in before I get to darned old
    Much like you, all it took was for me to see the construction quality. No blown in fiberglass. Every strand, hand laid sheets. Only manufacturer that vacuum infuses the entire boat. Stronger and lighter than any other boat in existence. That’s not opinion. I just love hand made products from family owned businesses. Who else has a 22+ boat that does 80mph with a 250? If you haven’t driven one, there isn’t anything like it. I’m sure they’re not for everyone and that’s ok. It’s definitely for me

3. Member
    Rodney, I was just watching a video that Ken Smith, a local down here in Dallas & Sam Rayburn doing an exhaustive review of boats since he's deciding to buy something other than Ranger this year of which he currently owns a Z520C, in the Youtube video link, he's comparing width at the seat pedestal on the 520L vs 520C and I didn't know that they increased the L's width significantly even over the Z520C, he has stated the width at pedestal is actually 72" on the L and 66" on the C boat. This would explain why I didn't notice much compared to my C boat and quite honestly I never wished I had a wider deck, quite honestly 72" is enormous. Therefore, we're talking only 1" shorter on each side than my Z520C, I'll take that!... no decrease in rods on my deck! Here's the video, look at timestamp 10:19

Quote Originally Posted by RangerRodney View Post
    Ranger Z520 L IS 76 inches wide over the pedestal, if the Ball is 64 inches same place that a whole lot to give up on the front of that boat for fishing. Before i every ordered that 204 i would have to have one on the water some week end to actually get some fishing questions answered for sure.
    Last edited by n_texas_basser; 09-11-2020 at 11:04 AM.

4. Member
    I have been out a few years but i think the L and C is close to the same across the bow inside back pedestal from side to side. The 521 is like 66 inches across the bow back pedestal. Sorry i though it was 76 on that front back pedestal, had that wrong should be 72.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaBallistic View Post
    Stronger and lighter than any other boat in existence. That’s not opinion. I just love hand made products from family owned businesses.
    Ballistic's website says 204 is approx. 1550lbs
    Allison's website says XB21 is 1350-1400lbs

Ballistic is on my short list for my next boat so I am not hating but it drives me crazy when people shoot "facts" that aren't facts. You lose credibility with the rest of your argument, even if it is spot on accurate.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

6. Member
    Seems a little like you are hating. If you want to go the fastest then buy an Allison. Those are the fastest boats I have ever been in, at least the older X boats. I have zero experience in any of the new Allison stuff so I can't really even comment on a comparison. I would be shocked if it were a better fishing platform but again that is why I bought a Ballistic. All depends on what you like, there are several manufacturers that build great boats. Ballistic is doing some really cool production techniques that no one else to my knowledge is doing. At the end of the day buy what you like. And of course you are going to get comments that Ballistic is the best considering that the majority of these guys on here own or are getting one soon. You would see the exact same things on Ranger, Phoenix, Nitro and every other manufacturers page on here.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwolff View Post
    Ballistic's website says 204 is approx. 1550lbs
    Allison's website says XB21 is 1350-1400lbs

Ballistic is on my short list for my next boat so I am not hating but it drives me crazy when people shoot "facts" that aren't facts. You lose credibility with the rest of your argument, even if it is spot on accurate.
    Meh, I’m not looking for e-cred but I’d love to see the ballistic side by side with the Allison. I’d bet my mortgage that the Ballistic’s weight to fishing size is second to none. Buy what you want. I don’t care, lol.

8. Member
    She's a beauty!

Definitely on my list of choices if I ever get to the point of getting a new boat!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

9. Member
    Rodney, I was just watching a video that Ken Smith, a local down here in Dallas & Sam Rayburn doing an exhaustive review of boats since he's deciding to buy something other than Ranger this year of which he currently owns a Z520C, in the Youtube video link, he's comparing width at the seat pedestal on the 520L vs 520C and I didn't know that they increased the L's width significantly even over the Z520C, he has stated the width at pedestal is actually 72" on the L and 66" on the C boat. This would explain why I didn't notice much compared to my C boat and quite honestly I never wished I had a wider deck, quite honestly 72" is enormous. Therefore, we're talking only 1" shorter on each side than my Z520C, I'll take that!... no decrease in rods on my deck! Here's the video, look at timestamp 10:19
    Ken is wrong about that info though. He’s comparing the width of a 521c to a 520L. The 520’s have always been wider than the 521’s.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

10. Member
    DoctorJJ,
    Sorry I don't want to come off as confrontational but, you're wrong, while Ken mentioned the 521C and the 520C and 520L in the same sentence, he was comparing the 520C to the 520L dimensions; he never stated the 521 was wider than the 521's, see the screen shot of the video with the text blaringly obvious on the comparison.....
    520c vsl 520l.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    Ken is wrong about that info though. He’s comparing the width of a 521c to a 520L. The 520’s have always been wider than the 521’s.
    Last edited by n_texas_basser; 09-26-2020 at 10:13 AM.

11. Member
    DoctorJJ,
    Sorry I don't want to come off as confrontational but, you're wrong, while Ken mentioned the 521C and the 520C and 520L in the same sentence, he was comparing the 520C to the 520L dimensions; he never stated the 521 was wider than the 521's, see the screen shot of the video with the text blaringly obvious on the comparison.....
    520c vsl 520l.jpg
    That’s what I’m saying he is wrong about. The 520L is not wider than the 520c, they are almost identical. All 520’s are wider than all 521’s. I may have not correctly stated what information I was trying to correct, but the information Ken posted is incorrect. His graphic should have said 66” on 521c.
    Last edited by DoctorJJ; 09-26-2020 at 05:06 PM.
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    That’s what I’m saying he is wrong about. The 520L is not wider than the 520c, they are almost identical. All 520’s are wider than all 521’s. I may have not correctly stated what information I was trying to correct, but the information Ken posted is incorrect. His graphic should have said 66” on 521c.
    That is correct, i have showed customers those measurements thousands of times when comparing 521 to a 520, your crappie fisherman love a 520 for that reason!!

13. Member
    RangerRodney is correct, looks like I screwed up on a note on the video. I measured a 520L and a 521C, even though the video says 520L vs 520C, sorry guys, I didn't catch that until DoctorJJ sent me a note about it this morning.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
    RangerRodney is correct, looks like I screwed up on a note on the video. I measured a 520L and a 521C, even though the video says 520L vs 520C, sorry guys, I didn't catch that until DoctorJJ sent me a note about it this morning.
    BBC will catch any errors and let you know!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
    Thank you Ken, it was actually me you were texting with this morning. Since I just sold my 520c, I didn't recall the width, thanks for setting the record straight!

17. Member
    Thank you Ken, it was actually me you were texting with this morning. Since I just sold my 520c, I didn't recall the width, thanks for setting the record straight!
    Yeah, wasn’t me. I figured it was just a typo on Ken’s part.
    Lowrance Ghost TM

18. Member
    I could get to like this ,real fast . Wow

19. Member
    How is the rough water ride of the .204 compared to the .223?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cade Howard View Post
    How is the rough water ride of the .204 compared to the .223?
    I've spent a good amount of time in both of these and I honestly cant tell much of a difference if any at all. Your would think the .223 might since its 7 inches longer but I don't think it makes any difference. They're both excellent boats in big water. The boat is solid as a rock because there's really not a lot of extra junk attached that big water can bang around. Solid 1 piece console.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast