First Time Boat Owner- looking for some guidance

Hello folks,

I just purchased (have not actually gotten it yet) a Tracker Classic XL. I am hoping someone could help me with some guidance in adding a 2nd deep cycle battery. Can I connect a 2nd deep cycle just like I have seen on jon boats etc with electric trolling motors? Do I need to have any special/additional connections or can I simply hook positive to positive, negative to negative and then connect the boat to positive on one battery and negative on the other.

I am also looking to get an on-board charging controller that won't break the bank - any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you, appreciate any help/tips/guidance you folks are willing to share.

2. Member
    For clarification, you mention trolling motors but then also "hoooking the boat" to the battery. Are you wanting to add a second battery for running a bigger (24V) trolling motor?

3. Member
    Let me try to explain better. In the well with the gas tank there's a cranking battery and a single deep cycle battery which run everything except cranking the engine. I want to add a 2nd deep cycle battery to provide more time on the water (most of the lakes in my immediate area are electric motors only). So I am just wondering if there's anything special I need to do to connect a 2nd deep cycle battery.

Does that make sense?

4. Member
    Yes positive to positive and negative to negative that would be two 12 volt batteries in parallel. Good luck and have fun.
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

5. Member
    If your running a 12 volt system adding the extra battery will help some but going to a 24 volt trolling motor motor with the two batteries hooked up in series would help more and give you more power and more time on the water.

6. Member