Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Testing my stator, reading the manual, although it does no give a defined number for a reading, but I getting no reading. So I believe the stator is grounded.

Section 7 OMC manual

No reading with black on ground.

sawmill beach

Regarding the no go, after fishing, found this in section 7.
    And makes me wonder. It ran fine when cold, then tge issue happens after shutting down and sitting.

The yellow wires look brown going into plug.

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You need to have both leads on that connector or you will never read resistance on the circuit. Both black and red leads need to be plugged in to the stator side.

4 in the manual talks about one lead in plug, and the other to a goo ground, and states a high reading.

Both plugs in:

5. Member
    In your OMC service manual you will find the explanation of how the ignition system works, please read that. Section 7 stator resistance test is for the power coil, that powers the regulator/rectifier. Section 3 stator testing is for the ignition 2 charge coils, that power the power pack. Your no go problem would be tested in section 3.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 10-13-2020 at 11:48 AM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    In your OMC service manual you will find the explanation of how the ignition system works, please read that. Section 7 stator resistance test is for the power coil, that powers the regulator/rectifier. Section 3 stator testing is for the ignition 2 charge coils, that power the power pack. Your no go problem would be tested in section 3.
    As a follow up, both ChampioNman and I have read the service manual, several times.

As a follow up, both ChampioNman and I have read the service manual, several times.
    This is why I am asking those you know much much more than me. I struggle with electrical mentally. I am Dumb as a rock, I Tried, and I am more confused than before. I appears Heat is the issue, when it gets warm, something is shutting down and needs considerable time to correct itself. I am very curious about the Rectifier, and based on the Manual clip above with the pink arrow. Thermal cut off switch it talks about.

The rectifier has never been changed, the Stator was changed in 2006 OMC part. The Power pack is new.

8. Member
    Are you sure that the warning horn is working? Do you get a chirp when you turn on the key?

Are you sure that the warning horn is working? Do you get a chirp when you turn on the key?
    I do get the horn, turn key, get a beep. Pretty normal start, takes a couple turns of the key, Note owned since new.

Its only an issue, after running, setting down and fishing, then trying to go.

10. Member
    Its only an issue, after running, setting down and fishing, then trying to go.[/QUOTE]

Wow! If you think I need to be told that, I need a rest.

11. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    well I think you at least need to replace the rectifier if your tach isn't working and your having problems charging when running. I replaced mine twice since I had the boat since 2005 easy fix and eliminate one more thing....
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

12. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    So after you replaced the rectifier there is no difference after running and fishing still does the same ?? At least your tach is working and you are charging 2 things you were not doing before...any more info or updates since we last talked???

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Jeff, any updates or you still in the woods hunting....

Took a break with playing with it needed to keep Dad out of trouble in the woods.

15. Member
    Is this the vapor lock/soak issue? Per the thread below, it was recommended to change the intermediate air bleed orifices from #38 to #32:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....n+carb+rebuild
    "called BRP today, They must get a million calls on this problem. He said turn idel screws out between 6-8 turns and down size air bleeds, but cant find anything other than what 185er found, I think after reading some other post 'readbeards' 32-34 would be a good replacement for the 38's."

16. Member
    I am following this thread for sure. I am a marine mechanical disaster so this is a good way to learn from others experiences. Oh, and my motor is running like crap and may be missing a cylinder. So thank you all.

17. Member
    Sooooo where did he go??? I read through this whole post and now there is no resolution posted?
    Are you still hunting basscat21?

Quote Originally Posted by jay's snake View Post
    Sooooo where did he go??? I read through this whole post and now there is no resolution posted?
    Are you still hunting basscat21?
    I put the Stator in, I need to check the TDC, and use the easy timer. Need a little warmth, since it sleeps outside.

he water is kind stiff right now, and the hose is frozen. I will update when I get it out on the water hoping to get the last few things done this weekend.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    I put the Stator in, I need to check the TDC, and use the easy timer. Need a little warmth, since it sleeps outside.

he water is kind stiff right now, and the hose is frozen. I will update when I get it out on the water hoping to get the last few things done this weekend.
    I have a similar problem with my 1997 200 Johnson, so I was hoping you had reached a solution. Personally, I think you have a fuel problem since you said you can get it going by hitting the primer, but I am no expert. I can tell you that your best resource on this is to listen to Championman. He has helped me greatly in the past and really knows his stuff. Please keep the progress reports coming. We want to find out the conclusion of this story.

20. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Jeff, you should be able to get that thing in the water this weekend sunday is looking pretty good ,keep us posted

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast