Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Replaced the VRO, moved the fuel line from tank selector so it is direct to the tank. All fuel lines have been replaced. Ran better, but still will stall when put in gear after fishing a while. Going go through the carbs, this weekend, have new bowl gaskets, understanding the should be one time use.
    Checked compression again all same as before.

2. Member
    I had an idle problem I chased for years. Replaced all electrical and rebuilt carbs, new OMS to no avail. Pulled the reeds and they all had standoff. New set of reeds and I was back in business and idling great. Mine were carbon fiber and began to bow away from the reed cage. Not sure if you have stock reeds, but might be worth a look.

If you need any electrical parts for troubleshooting, let me know, no charge, just ship back and forth. I have a few good spares laying around.
    Last edited by seagoo; 09-27-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoo View Post
    I had an idle problem I chased for years. Replaced all electrical and rebuilt carbs, new OMS to no avail. Pulled the reeds and they all had standoff. New set of reeds and I was back in business and idling great. Mine were carbon fiber and began to bow away from the reed cage. Not sure if you have stock reeds, but might be worth a look.

If you need any electrical parts for troubleshooting, let me know, no charge, just ship back and forth. I have a few good spares laying around.
    Thank you, and very much for the offer. I have been thinking the reeds. Today I am looking at the carbs again. She runs great once I can get it going.

4. Member
    Mine was the same way and got worse after a run. Ran great off idle.. If you are that deep into pulling the carbs again I’d encourage you to look at the reeds at that point. Actually pull the reed cage carrier so you can see behind them. I couldn’t tell looking at the intake side. It was at my last resort when I pulled mine.

if you want to try and parts just shoot me a PM.

5. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Jeff, any update been following and hoping you get it straightened out soon...
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Ran tonight, ran beautiful, shut down, same issue put in gear, blaaaa.. stall. I think it may be time to take it in. I have gone through and double checked the whole fuel system, its pretty much all new all the way to the tanks, I have direct hosed to each tank, by passing the tank switch, filter to see is those were issues. Could it be reeds? I don't know, and tearing into it without positive diagnosis, is a tipping point. There is no coughing or fuel spitting. Those are the things I know could indicate reeds.

So I stay perplexed, and right now most dealers are busy with winterization. I can fish on the TM, and its about to get good. I bet it would sit for a month in the dealer yard before being looked at.

7. Member
    if it's sucking air through that I'm surprised it would run at all.
    The last pic looked good I've never seen a monster gasket on a carb.

8. Member
    if it spits fuel out its reeds,

Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    if it's sucking air through that I'm surprised it would run at all.
    The last pic looked good I've never seen a monster gasket on a carb.
    Went back througb carb bowls all are sealed well.

Quote Originally Posted by OK_BassBum View Post
    if it spits fuel out its reeds,
    Its not doing that, the reason I have not tore into them.

11. Member
    OK here's another 2 cent statement.

When it dies, if it sounds like a sneeze it's lean, if it burps it loading up.

have you noticed any fuel residue floating in the water behind your boat?

Have not noticed fuel but, can't say I was looking. No sneeze, not a burp just goes blaaah.

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    When this happens does it pick up and go if you push the key in or still just die???
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    When this happens does it pick up and go if you push the key in or still just die???
    yes, I can use the key to get it going, its not easy but sometimes a couple trys. while putting in gear pushing in the key and starting to mash the hot foot. Note I do not need to do this the first run, it is after running and then fishing so it may be case of the motor being warm?

15. Member
    what about water?

long story alert. i had a suzuki (first engine) that had a rubber grommit drain plug in the bottom of the cowl. i removed it when cleaning and forgot to replace it. for two years i had symptoms where the engine would bog or stall out after long runs or would not start. the only cure was time to cool down and repeated efforts to start. i rebuilt the carbs and replaced the powerpack. t-stat and plugs and leads and coils and took it to more than one shop and generally tried everything i could think of. one day i noticed the plug in my tool box and put it back not even thinking about it. to my shock, problem solved. the engine was somehow sucking in enough water into the cowl and then evaporating it when the engine got hot to get water into the carbs.

not saying you necessarily have such a grommet, but maybe you have water in a cylinder when the engine is hot. try looking at your cylinders and see if one is cleaner than the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by suzukidave View Post
    what about water?

long story alert. i had a suzuki (first engine) that had a rubber grommit drain plug in the bottom of the cowl. i removed it when cleaning and forgot to replace it. for two years i had symptoms where the engine would bog or stall out after long runs or would not start. the only cure was time to cool down and repeated efforts to start. i rebuilt the carbs and replaced the powerpack. t-stat and plugs and leads and coils and took it to more than one shop and generally tried everything i could think of. one day i noticed the plug in my tool box and put it back not even thinking about it. to my shock, problem solved. the engine was somehow sucking in enough water into the cowl and then evaporating it when the engine got hot to get water into the carbs.

not saying you necessarily have such a grommet, but maybe you have water in a cylinder when the engine is hot. try looking at your cylinders and see if one is cleaner than the rest.
    I do not believe that is an issue, it pretty far above the water, thinking reeds.

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Have you tried pumping the bulb before trying to take off after the first run?

18. Member
    On your first run, do you let the motor warm up so QuikStart is off and idle is at 800 rpm? I guess what I'm asking, is QuikStart on or off when you first take off. When you say you adjusted the throttle roller, was that the big black roller for the timing adjustment? The timing must start to advance at the same time the carbs start to open, very critical on this motor.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 10-03-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 316jughead View Post
    On your first run, do you let the motor warm up so QuikStart is off and idle is at 800 rpm? I guess what I'm asking, is QuikStart on or off when you first take off. When you say you adjusted the throttle roller, was that the big black roller for the timing adjustment? The timing must start to advance at the same time the carbs start to open, very critical on this motor.
    Yes, I generally push off, TM out, start motor, get my rods out, set up. And its at 800, take off beautiful, runs well. Fish an hour, then then stumble happens.
    Timing roller, as in the sticky above on top of fly wheel. The carb roller is touching also, the one that opens the butterflys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Have you tried pumping the bulb before trying to take off after the first run?
    Yes, that worked once, but not always. I also think I puzhed the key too. But I have pumped the ball and just tried and not have it work. I have pumped the ball at home and then got the ramp and the ball still is hard. I will mess with this more sun night.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast