Freezers....manual vs frost free defrost?

In the market for a new freezer. I have only owned manual defrost to this point. I’m told that long term storage of 1+ year on a frost free freezer could have a negative impact on meats, fish, etc. Is there any truth to that?

I prefer to have an upright but it seems manual defrost aren’t made much anymore and are even more hard to find in the current market.
    1995 Ranger 487VS / 1998 Mercury 200 EFI

2. Member
    Current market is tough...took me several weeks to find one

3. Member
    In theory thats probably true but I have found vacuumed sealed food keeps better overall, regardless of freezer type.

4. Member
    We had 2 deep freezers in the last 20 years that were both upright around 17 cube. One was frost free and the other was the manual defrost. The frost free failed after 7yrs and was a GE. The manual frost is a cheap Crowley. Not sure if they are around anymore. I think older appliances were just built better. Not sure if one type is more reliable than the other. Also I never heard about one type being better for long term freezing of meet quality than the other. If I have to buy a new one I would look for a frost free though because I’m getting to old and lazy to do the defrost game twice a year.

There is less parts that can fail in a manual freezer.

FIL was in the furniture/ appliances business for 40+ years. He always recommended manual defrost. We are ready to buy one and that is probably what we will go with

My Father was in the appliance business and we always and still use manual defrost freezers.

Manual defrost. I have no idea how old my upright freezer is as I got it used several years ago. We defrost it every 2 years.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

9. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBassMan View Post
    Current market is tough...took me several weeks to find one
    ordered mine in March and just got it two weeks ago
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

10. Member
    I am in the appliance industry. Manual defrost if you are going to keep items 4 months or longer (ie hunters, buying a side of beef etc) Frost free if you will be going through the food every 3-4 months. When you have a frost free it basically runs a little heat over the coils to knock back the frost accumulation and over time and the cumulitive effect of defrosting itself you will get freezer burn. GOOD LUCK trying to get your hands on a freezer this year...after toilet paper, they were the next to go
    5 Short of a limit

11. Member
    My parents have a manual defrost freezer that they bought new from sears when I was born. I am 55 years old. The freezer is still going strong in their garage. Has stored deer , elk, salmon, halibut and a wide variety of game all these years. It has never been serviced. Amazing.

we have a manual defrost freezer that is 20+ years old and zero issues, we defrost clean it out once a year in Sept..

Bought a Danby 7.2 cu ft manual defrost in mid March. These are made in Canada. Been working fine for us. Picked it up at the local appliance warehouse. I didn't realize it was manual but the salesman pointed out the advantages (less freezer burn) as we loaded it. Haven't seen a need to defrost it yet.