Opinions on Suzuki DF175 on older Ranger

I asked this question over in the Ranger forum and have ZERO replies. I thought maybe you all could give better insight.

My 1997 Ranger 461VS currently has a 1996 Evinrude Intruder 150 (original engine) on the back. I'm thinking about powering and after a lot of online reading I'm leaning toward a Suzuki DF175. The hull is rated for a max 175HP so I figure I might as well go the top while I'm at it. My 'Rude is still in good shape, but at 24 years old and unknown hours my thought was to upgrade and sell it while the engine is still good rather than waiting until it's nothing but scrap.

Reliability and longevity are my biggest concerns and I'd also like to know how the engines perform on a 19' bass boat hull. This is the boat I'm going to own for many years to come so I want to be sure and get an engine that will last. I know people always push Mercury and Yamaha but I'm pretty well set on the Suzuki. I'd like to get first hand experience/comments on how Zukes run on a bass boat hull and if the weight is a factor. My current engine is a little under 400lbs and I know the Zuke will be over 500lbs so I'm curious how that will effect the ride and handling of the boat.

Thanks for any info you all can provide.

Kevin

Here is the test on an 05 185VS.
    http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...0185VS%20DF175

I did not think they were that heavy but I guess so...511lb! It has the 2.5 ratio lower unit and may be a pain to find the right prop. It looks like they ran 3blade 14.75x27 and hit 59mph. I'd reach out t Andy @TeamMarine as he has rigged more bassboats with suzukis than anyone else I know. He can answer a lot of your questions.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Here is the test on an 05 185VS.
    http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...0185VS%20DF175

I did not think they were that heavy but I guess so...511lb! It has the 2.5 ratio lower unit and may be a pain to find the right prop. It looks like they ran 3blade 14.75x27 and hit 59mph. I'd reach out t Andy @TeamMarine as he has rigged more bassboats with suzukis than anyone else I know. He can answer a lot of your questions.
    Thanks for the info. At best I figure my boat is a 60MPH hull which is just fine. I have no desire to turn this into a speed/performance boat. A reliable rig that gets me to the fish reasonably quick is all I want.

Do you have an email, web site, or facebook for TeamMarine? I'm not familiar with them.

KJ

4. Member
    I ran a DF 175 a couple of years on a 19 foot 5 inch dual console Stratos, and I just upgraded to a 200DF. I run a 3 blade large diameter prop and get about 1 MPH per 100RPM. I top out a little over 60 MPH.
    I think Suzy is a good choice nowadays, I have mine on a 6 inch jackplate which makes it even heavier, it likes to go nose up taking off but I put a whale tail on it which cured that.

Quote Originally Posted by like2build View Post
    Thanks for the info. At best I figure my boat is a 60MPH hull which is just fine. I have no desire to turn this into a speed/performance boat. A reliable rig that gets me to the fish reasonably quick is all I want.

Do you have an email, web site, or facebook for TeamMarine? I'm not familiar with them.

KJ
    https://www.teammarineservice.com/

Team Marine Service
    68 Copeland Ave.
    La Crosse, WI, 54603

(608) 784-4162
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    I have a 462 and was considering the same motor. Did you end up buying one?

7. Member
    Any updates to this thread. I just ordered a 175 for my champ 184!?!
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    1990 Evinrude 150XP Raker 22P
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

8. Member

9. Member
    I think you will be very happy with a suzuki for reliability. They are a pain to prop out right but I found mine likes bigger diameter props. You might want to look into a solas scorpion. Those seem to run well on bigger zukes.

10. Member
    Because it was cheap, I put a 16 inch diameter SS 24.5 pitch 3 blade on my 175DF when I had it. It was pretty good. I literally stole them, bought about 5 of them off eBay at $50.00 each delivered new.
    I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

11. Member
    Anyone have an idea of what prop they ran in that Suzuki marine test?
    1990 Champion 184DC/FS
    1990 Evinrude 150XP Raker 22P
    2x HB Helix 9SI
    MK Ultrex 80# Ipilot

12. Member
    All it says is that's it's a 3 bladed 14.75 x 27. Probably something like a Turbo TXP or something similar since I heard rumors that Turbo use to make props for Suzuki.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.