Thread: Champlain

Champlain

Looking to go up end of September to beginning of October. Find it difficult finding lodging on NY side of Champlain, especially something with a dock. Almost looks like our only option is to pull the boat out of the water everyday. Very surprised.

2. Member
    Covid has everywhere booked up and busy. Old Forge and Inlet are big tourist towns in the adirondacks and They looked like 4th of July weekend this past Saturday. People are staying in the state and doing day trips or extended weekends rather than going elsewhere. Places are so busy it’s absolutely ridiculous. I’m avoiding the more well known lakes and ramps since they’re full every single day on the weekends
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Champlain doensn't have many places to stay to keep boat on the water anyway. South end of lake most stay in ticonderoga. North end its Plattsburgh or chazy. I like plattsburgh. Great places to eat. Weather in late Sept can be ugly!!

4. Member
    Weather anytime after mid September on can be ugly no matter what body of water your on in the northeast. October and November are the same way. Don't ever let that deter me.

5. Moderator
    Check out Holiday Harbor in North Hero Vermont. They have a boat ramp and docks.

6. Tony C
    Try Marine village cottages on the ny side. Docks to tie up, but I wouldn’t leave my boat in over night. There’s a boat launch about 1/4 mile away in a great place to start fishing.
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

Quote Originally Posted by Tonyc View Post
    Try Marine village cottages on the ny side. Docks to tie up, but I wouldn’t leave my boat in over night. There’s a boat launch about 1/4 mile away in a great place to start fishing.

I'm staying there next weekend. It will be my first time at Champlain. I can't wait...
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

8. Member
    Check the water levels before you go. I am up here fishing this weekend and the water level is down like 5-6’ from normal. Water craft steward said it is already at October levels. Avoid Plattsburgh launch as it’s was too shallow.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    second Marine Village Cottages, Ryans family does a great job

10. Member
    I'm staying close to the chazy boat launch. You saying there's a possibility I may not be able to drop my boat in the lake???

11. Tony C
    You can launch, just be careful . Also really pay attention to running around the lake.

12. Member
    You can launch, just be careful . Also really pay attention to running around the lake.
    Thank you for the information. I'm guessing to follow my maps the best I can. Never been here before, excited and a bit nervous too.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Thank you for the information. I'm guessing to follow my maps the best I can. Never been here before, excited and a bit nervous too.
    DONT have your 800 plus balanced and blueprinted prop on for sure..

14. Member
    I appreciate the advice, ill take my time navigating. Think sometimes people like to inform the worst things about their home state lakes to out-of-state fishermen to keep them away. Noticed there's never too much 'good talk' about someones' home lake and that's understandable. But I did see some safety tips on here and I'll take them anyday!
    Last edited by bigfoot17; 09-02-2020 at 06:56 AM.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    I appreciate the advice, ill take my time navigating. Think sometimes people like to inform the worst things about their home state lakes to out-of-state fishermen to keep them away. Noticed there's never too much 'good talk' about someones' home lake and that's understandable. But I did see some safety tips on here and I'll take them anyday!
    Not sure that is the case here Bigfoot. It has been an extremely dry summer here in northern NY and lake levels are very low. I've been fishing different parts of Champlain all summer, but south of where you are going, so I can't give you any solid advice on locations. My normal spots that I've been going to for years are not holding fish due to water levels, so I'm stuck finding new ones. If you decide to fish down by Crowne Point, Ti, or South Bay for a day, let me know and I can direct you to some spots.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_in_NY View Post
    Not sure that is the case here Bigfoot. It has been an extremely dry summer here in northern NY and lake levels are very low. I've been fishing different parts of Champlain all summer, but south of where you are going, so I can't give you any solid advice on locations. My normal spots that I've been going to for years are not holding fish due to water levels, so I'm stuck finding new ones. If you decide to fish down by Crowne Point, Ti, or South Bay for a day, let me know and I can direct you to some spots.
    Thank you so much Mike. I hear you. That's is very useful information. When I get up there I will let you know what I see and find out. This is all new to me. Fished a lot of other NY waters, but never this body of water.

17. Tony C
    I can help you with some info. On where to fish. You’ll need a lifetime and then some but I can get you started and would be happy to do it. Shoot me a pm with your phone number.

18. Member
    I can help you with some info. On where to fish. You’ll need a lifetime and then some but I can get you started and would be happy to do it. Shoot me a pm with your phone number.
    Thanks Tony! I will pm you then with my number.