Banned

OBX surf fishing advise

Any surf fishing experts on here? I need some recommendations for surf fishing gear as well as techniques for late September early October fishing in the North Carolina obx area.

I want to buy a nice surf fishing rig($200-300) but nothing extravagant. I’m assuming something for bottom rigging cutbait but if there is a technique like jigging a spoon or fluke rig I would be into that as well.

2. Member

3. Member
    I have a lot of experience with surf casting. I use 13-foot rods with sensitive tips and a big long cast type spinning reels loaded with 12-pound Berkley Big Game mono. I can throw a 4-oz pyramid sinker and a couple of small baits about 100 yards measured. May sound like bragging but it is not. The best can double that. Best advice I can give you is to watch a few videos on surf casting technique and go to a football field and practice before your trip. Distance is about technique, not about equipment, but that helps. Hit the beach with a positive attitude and you will make a lot of new friends. Watch them closely and learn.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't know where you'll be staying but drive down to Avon/Buxton and got to Frank and Fran's in Avon or Red Drum Tackle in Buxton. Unless you're are going every weekend you don't need a high dollar custom heaver. You may want a couple rigs one for up to 8n bait and maybe one for Spanish. If you're going to cape point don't jump right in on the Conga line that crew doesn't care for rookies. The off the ground cast is relatively easy to do the pendulum cast takes a lot of practice. Go by BPS and look at some of their off shore angler rods and reels won't break the bank either.

Helpful thread. I have learned some useful info.

6. Member
    There are some youtubers like 1fish2fish and EliasVfishing that will have some surf fishing videos from obx area. I want to get up that way because the surf is completely different than here on the East Coast of Central FL. You can also check out a guy called Hey Skipper or Bama Beach Bum for some tips on tying your own pompano rigs. the T Drop Knot that Hey Skipper does a video on is my personal favorite for a pomp rig. Bama does some good videos on how to read the beach to find spots that are more likely to have fish moving in and out.

7. Member
    Side note, I currently have 5 set ups that I take surf fishing just about every time I go.

12ft ugly stik bigwater with a Penn Fierce Live Liner 8000 with 40lb braid (casts a mile and I use this with cut bait to get past the sand bar)
    10ft daiwa rod with daiwa DF100 with 85lb braid (Shark set up)
    2x 9ft ugly stik GX2 with Quantum Q60 with 25lb braid (both are for pompano set ups)
    8ft ugly stick bigwater with Penn Pursuit 3 8000 with 30lb braid (I use this to cast big paddle tails, spoons, or buck tails if I see fish busting the top)

I also will sometimes bring out a Penn Fierce 3 LL 4000 on a 7'6" rod to use cut bait in the wash area. Depends on how busy the beach is and if I have people with me. I also bring a beach cart, cooler, 4-5 rod holders I made out of 4' sections of PVC. I always bring a gallon jug of fresh water as well in case one of my rigs gets dropped in the sand or goes for a swim.

8. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    no fishing advice, but if you get to buxton, go to Pop's (dive bar on 12 north) for the BEST fried oysters