Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620

Registration, title, Tax

I am out of state right now. Looking at buying another boat in another state, other than Texas.
    Question is can I register the boat and motor with Texas Parks & Wildlife on line for my boat numbers or do I have to go to their office to do this?
    As I will be out of state for another 3 months.
    And can I do the tax, title and licensing for the Boat, Motor and Trailer on line thru my County clerks office?
    Been a while since I have done a buy from a individual seller. And never when I was out of state.
    Thanks

2. Banned
    I believe every county office is different, some do the TPWD registration and some don’t. Better make dang sure you have all the proper paperwork required by TPWD or you won’t be getting it registered here. It ruled out several out of state boats when I was looking.

3. Bobby8
    TPWD has a form for the engine and boat and does taxes on them. County clerk will do taxes on the trailer. Get 3 different bills of sale with prices for each. Best to call 2 or 3 times and talk to different TPWD reps as you will get different responses. Been there.

4. Member
    Hillsboro, MO 63050 & Dripping Springs, TX 78620
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby8 View Post
    TPWD has a form for the engine and boat and does taxes on them. County clerk will do taxes on the trailer. Get 3 different bills of sale with prices for each. Best to call 2 or 3 times and talk to different TPWD reps as you will get different responses. Been there.
    THIS ^^^^^

Some states don't have titles for the boat or engine (Tennessee for example). This can cause a problem because TPWD will scrutinize everything. Like said above ... get DETAILED Bill of Sale for each item and anything else you can get from the seller.

6. Member
    You might be done but I just did mine today. Use form 143 and 504 for the boat. Use form 144 and 504 for the motor. Form 504 is used to validate the Hull ID / Serial Number via photo attached to 504 forms. My boat came from Arkansas (they only Title the trailer) so I also had to fill out form 314. If seller signs both forms then no BOS is required, though I did get one for my records. I also had the previous owners registration that I submitted with form 143.

I am in Katy and called the South Houston location for my appointment. The lady was very helpful and the process only took about 25-30 minutes.

Hopefully, I am not late and this helps.