Oklahoma summer technique

After a few years of semi serious bass fishing I was just getting to the point where I was building some confidence. I still get my butt kicked this time of year. I realize it gets tougher fishing, but I’m sure there are techniques I don’t know. Anybody willing to share some Oklahoma technique that may help would be much appreciated. I have got into the habit of fishing shallow, using Texas rigs, Carolina rigs, crank baits, and jigs, but I’ve never really learned how to fish deeper, which I think is where the fish likely are in cooler water? I always seem to manage to catch something, but looking for suggestions. I have tried fishing deeper, mostly with jigs and Texas rigs, but I haven’t really built any confidence since I haven’t had much luck. I’m normally fishing less than 10 feet, usually less than 5 feet. In any case I just love to fish, of course it’s always good to set the hook as often as possible... lol

2. Member
    it is a very tough time of year to learn to fish deeper IMO, the big schools that were out there in may\june have been beat to death. Fishing pressure is at an all time high with this virus stuff going on. I think shallow vs. deep is almost a 50/50 split on most Oklahoma lakes in August and September. If you want to fish deep I would fish brush, with a big worm or jig but I would also have a topwater ready for schooling fish when they came up. 95% of fishing is where youre throwing your bait, for the most part everyone can catch them if they know where to fish.

3. Member
    Table Rock last week,I was lucky to catch 5 over 3 lbs.in the early a.m. and shallow, in the shade after the sun came up.
    Next 2 days sucked and got worse. Tried my first drop shot the last evening in 20+ feet and caught 2, one spotted bass and 1 smallmouth. Those are my first 2 fish drop shooting. I too am frustrated by summer fishing.
    I am heading to the Illinois river tomorrow to catch smallies!

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    After a few years of semi serious bass fishing I was just getting to the point where I was building some confidence. I still get my butt kicked this time of year. I realize it gets tougher fishing, but I’m sure there are techniques I don’t know. Anybody willing to share some Oklahoma technique that may help would be much appreciated. I have got into the habit of fishing shallow, using Texas rigs, Carolina rigs, crank baits, and jigs, but I’ve never really learned how to fish deeper, which I think is where the fish likely are in cooler water? I always seem to manage to catch something, but looking for suggestions. I have tried fishing deeper, mostly with jigs and Texas rigs, but I haven’t really built any confidence since I haven’t had much luck. I’m normally fishing less than 10 feet, usually less than 5 feet. In any case I just love to fish, of course it’s always good to set the hook as often as possible... lol
    Look up all the fish the moment videos on youtube. Jonny spends lot of time on offshore fishing, main thing in have a mapping chip in your locator. Look for flats in the 15' range that extend out from points, especially next to channel swings with deep water real close by. Like others said, this time of year it gets tough.

5. Member
    most consistent thing for me 2 weeks ago on eufaula was boat docks. not anywhere on them but at the ends near deep water or in deep water. all pitching shaky head. that is my go to bait summer fishing. you would be surprised how many fish stay shallow in heat of summer. main key will be oxygen producing vegetation. no grass no luck for me shallow.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal74848 View Post
    most consistent thing for me 2 weeks ago on eufaula was boat docks. not anywhere on them but at the ends near deep water or in deep water. all pitching shaky head. that is my go to bait summer fishing. you would be surprised how many fish stay shallow in heat of summer. main key will be oxygen producing vegetation. no grass no luck for me shallow.
    How deep for the shaky head?

7. Member
    deeper docks. anything less then 10ft nothing. more that the docks were close to deeper creeks I believe.

8. Member
    depends on water clarity .grand is 12-14''..so docks in the 10-12' range is good..the clearer the deeper
    TrackerUser