Thread: Pro Max Prop

South of Baton Rouge but North of Plaquemine, LA

Pro Max Prop

I just repowered my XB2003 with a 175 pro xs 4 stroke. Tried a tempest 23p but had problems with it cavitating at lower RPMs. So I tried a Trophy Plus 27p I had and Cavitation issues disappeared. Was able to turn it to about 5400 RPMs. I am thinking of going with a 24p or 25p Pro Max prop. I never ran one so my question is how does it turn compared to a trophy, will 25p be too much? I had my normal full fishing load, 2 grp 27 & 1 grp 31, 24 gallons of fuel, live wells empty. Factory torque master 1.85gr - about 1 1/4” below pad. Thanks.
    Last edited by bottomfisher; 08-25-2020 at 01:45 PM.

Very nice engine. I run a 150 four stroke (1.92 gear ratio) on an XS2003 GS, and turn a 28" Promax for daily driving, a 30" for speed (80 MPH at just under 5,800 RPM), light load. I run mine 1/4 below. You should be able to raise yours quite a bit, as you have low water pickup. Get it as close to 1/4" below as you can, you may eventually want to use a nosecone to run it high. The Promax is a great prop on our hulls, you can run them very high, and are typically very fast.

You should be able to run a 28" or more with a light load at above 80 MPH easily. I think you could get to mid 80s with the right setup.

I'm very curious about your engine, would love to try it on my GS. Keep us posted.

My gearcase for reference.

4. Member
    The pro max prop is probably not your best choice since you are not running a nose coned lower.
    What kind of speed have you gotten to and how much weight do you have in gear and fisherpeople?

My 2003 with a 150 optimax and 350 pounds of people, a 36 volt, three grp 31 batteries and another 100 pounds of tackle ran around 70 with a 26 pitch Mercury chopper or 27 Trophy @ 5750 rpms. With one person, cool weather, full fishing load and a 28 chopper it would run 74.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    1999 Allison w/01 200 Pro Max
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

The Hydromotive Quad 4 OT is also a great prop for the 2003, similar characteristics to the Promax, might even be better for heavy loads. Again, you're going to want to run a nosecone to get the engine high enough, improve handling and overall performance. The Promax is hard to beat all around though. Light load top speed you could try a chopper but probably not the best overall. An even pitch Trophy can work well with heavier loads too.

Todd at Hydromotive owned an XS2003 for years and can really set you straight on props for Allison.

Quote Originally Posted by dspencer View Post
    The pro max prop is probably not your best choice since you are not running a nose coned lower.
    What kind of speed have you gotten to and how much weight do you have in gear and fisherpeople?

My 2003 with a 150 optimax and 350 pounds of people, a 36 volt, three grp 31 batteries and another 100 pounds of tackle ran around 70 with a 26 pitch Mercury chopper or 27 Trophy @ 5750 rpms. With one person, cool weather, full fishing load and a 28 chopper it would run 74.
    Stock gearcase?

7. Member
    It does have “lower” water pickups, but they on the front of the nose not the bottom. Water pressure falls off pretty hard higher than 1” below. I used to run 5/8 below with the Pro Max motor/sporty. I’d like to cone it or another lower, trying to figure a way to do it and not lose warranty. Will typically have 300lbs of people and carry about 100lbs of tackle. Speed with the 27 trophy was 72mph at 5400rpm. I put my skid planer back on as well to try to help with bow rise, but pretty sure I’m gonna have to add my foil back as well. Will need to cut it to fit new lower unit though. I went out this weekend and tried a couple props just to try to get some more info to base my next prop purchase off of.

26 worked chopper - 72mph @ 5800RPM (slow hole shot, but expected that with over hub)
    23 tempest stock - 66mph @ 5940rpm (Jumps out the hole, lotta bow rise, still cavitates at 2800rpm)

All passes this weekend were same load, but solo 210lbs of me. I need to get it near 6000 as I can so I’m not lugging the motor. She’s a fat bottom girl now as well. Thinking about lithium to lose about 125lbs back there.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wave to Wave View Post
    Stock gearcase?
    Mine was a handful after 65 with a stock gearcase. I could not consistently run it faster than that without it getting flighty.
    I ran it most of its life on a coned torquemaster. It ran 69 every day tourney fishing and was easier to drive.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    1999 Allison w/01 200 Pro Max
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

9. Member
    Just got off the phone with Hydromotive. They gonna build me a 26” Quad IV-X O/T. Haven’t run their props before, so can’t wait to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfisher View Post
    Just got off the phone with Hydromotive. They gonna build me a 26” Quad IV-X O/T. Haven’t run their props before, so can’t wait to try it out.
    That should be great!