Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WILL NOT PLANE OUT

2008 NITRO 591 DC
    2008 MERCURY 200HP OPTIMAX
    2 X 12' MINN KOTA TALON'S

I just purchased this boat less than a month ago, when I test drove the boat, getting on plane took some time, by time I mean maybe 4-7 seconds. I installed two 12' talons and now the boat will just push water.
    I need some assistance big time I will attach pictures of my set up. I have considered adjusting the jack plate up, pulling the plugs on the prop. Past that I am lost. This is my first bass boat so I am bummed out that this
    isn't working for me. There are three batteries, and on board charger, and two livewells in the back of the boat. Other than that there isn't any added weights besides the two talons.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Banned
    Hydrofoil, trim tabs, more weight in the bow, different type/size prop.

Just some things to consider. Either way, need more lift in the stern and more weight in the bow. How you go about achieving that is up to you.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    May have to go down in pitch or 2 or go to a four blade. may wanna get motor checked out as well. I for sure would not have went and put talons on a boat already struggling to get on plane, however with a 200 you should have had much better on plane times without them, then the 4 -7 seconds setup is wrong on the boat for sure, or motor has issues. no talons that boat should be in the 2 to 3 second range. My guess motor is down on HP, maybe not getting WOT? does it have a hottfoot. Talons will for sure make your holeshot suffer though there heavy pigs.

4. Member
    Do you think adjusting the jack plate up would help?

This ^

6. Member
    I agree with the above comments and suggestions. You already had a holeshot issue and Talons amplified it.
    Brad Krone

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    check ptp set at 3 .5. If boat still wont get on plane has nothing to do w motor height..id be looking to see if your getting WOT. If you are you have a motor issue.

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Prop is in the pic, tempest 25p. That boat nitro w a 200 hp and a 25 p tempest at 3.5 under should get right up on plane. It should also be able to plane even with talons and a terrible setup . I didn't jump right to motor issues. I said set prop to pad at 3.5 to start (free) did not say thats where it will end up but its the starting point for every jackplate initial setup. I do agree in pics it looks very low. I also said to check if he's getting wide open throttle (also free)..ive set up tons of boats, plugs are for fine tuning your holeshot you can play with plugs till the cows come home, plugs arent going to take a boat that cant plane out and make it plane. That boat w a 200 hp motor thats running correctly should be able to get on plane if the motor was set 5.5 below to 2.5 below. Dont know where its set now why said start a 3.5 below go from there. If he cant get on plane at 3.5 below, id be checking for WOT. A boat set to proper PTP w the correct pitch prop wont perform w motor issues. Im offering my opinions based on experience. Like to know where that motors set ptp right now
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 08-27-2020 at 09:52 PM.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabfishin View Post
    We agree on most everything with the exception of the talons not making a difference. They clearly have as he stated he was able to get on plane admittedly sluggish but did get the boat on pad....until he added the talons. 40 or 50lbs that far rearward could absolutely cause the issue if he were at the very edge. Pulling a plug or three could get him back on plane at which point he could begin to raise the motor until he hit an optimal height. Checking WOT is never a bad idea but his statement was that he was able to get on plane until he installed talons and now he cannot. He never specified a slow top end when he was originally able to get on plane. My suggestion was merely get him on plane (pull a plug or two or three) then find his optimal motor height and go from there if he has more concerns.
    never said the talons did not make a difference obviously he went from terrible on plane times to not even being able to get on plane so yes it made a difference. They do on most rigs big reason why guys dont like them, there too dam heavy and all that weight is direct on transom weight. 40 to 50 pounds??? Try @146 pounds of on transom weight with 12 foot talons and side mount brackets ( i mean what did you expect the holeshot to improve post 12 foot talons). Pulling a plug or 2 or 3 is not going to get him on plane dont give him false hope. He needs to measure prop to pad. He needs to set his prop to pad at 3.5 below ( to start) and then report back a result plain and simple. I mentioned WOT as he had horrible on plane times pre talons. With that prop he has on there and a 200 he should be able to get on plane with the talons period even with a horrible setup. Why its leading me to a lack of hp ( motor issue).. unless the boat is set to something stupid like 6 or 7 under. Wont know till he measures prop to pad. There was a issue be it setup or motor issue pre talons..fact.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 08-28-2020 at 06:56 PM.

10. Member
    The prop to pad is at 2.75 now.
    Last edited by zacktharvey1122; 08-28-2020 at 08:32 PM.

11. Member
    Look at the jackplate bolts on the left and right. They are different heights and I am not sure how that can happen.....

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by zacktharvey1122 View Post
    The prop to pad is at 2.75 now.
    sure you measured correctly? If so Drop it to 3.5 and try boat report back.

13. Member
    So after some fine tuning and adjusting, I want to thank everyone here for their response. I took the boat out this morning and she fired right out of the hole.

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    So after some fine tuning and adjusting, I want to thank everyone here for their response. I took the boat out this morning and she fired right out of the hole.
    Glad you got it dialed in...please let us know what fine tuning and adjustments were made so we can use that info to help other people.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GBhoss View Post
    Look at the jackplate bolts on the left and right. They are different heights and I am not sure how that can happen.....
    Everything looks to be mounted the same to me. They seem low and I would consider moving the Talons brackets between the Talon and tilt bracket up to the other set of holes to help a little with that.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

16. Member
    The only adjustment I made was adjusting the motor up .25 inch on the jack plate and actually trimming the dang motor down all the way on takeoff.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    actually trimming the dang motor down all the way on takeoff.
    well there is one none of us thought of.. sometimes it is the most obvious, like "it wont power up"..is it plugged in?

18. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    The only adjustment I made was adjusting the motor up .25 inch on the jack plate and actually trimming the dang motor down all the way on takeoff.
    No problem...I have been guilty of not seeing the forest for all the trees. I am glad you got it dialed in...I still have one suggestion if your interested. I notice in the pictures you posted your prop still has PVS plugs. How many plugs does it have and do you know what size they are. Pending if you know the answer to my question I have a follow up suggestion.

19. Member
    I want to say the plugs that are in right now are for medium restriction.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    well there is one none of us thought of.. sometimes it is the most obvious, like "it wont power up"..is it plugged in?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast