Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$100 Baitcasters ?

I've been looking to replace some older casting reels. I enjoy using good tackle so I have always purchased higher-end reels ($200 - $300). I have noticed, however, that some of the $100 - $129 casting reels today seem to really nice. They are generally built on the same frame as the more expensive models, with the main differences coming in the finish, the handles, and the number of ball bearings. I can't, of course, see if there are any big differences inside the reel. My question is what I would gain by buying a more expensive model - are there any real tangible differences - do they actually perform better or last longer? I just don't see much difference anymore.

2. Banned
    When you get up in the higher dollar reels, you are paying for materials and better tolerances. Most internals are close to the same, with most reels out there. Whats the brand you are looking into?

3. Member
    I have looked at numerous brands, mostly Abu-Garcia and Daiwa, and there does not seem to be a lot of difference when you go from the lower-priced models up to the higher end except for the finish and lower weight.

4. Member
    Idk I rarely spend more than $100 on a reel. The Daiwa Tatula CTs and Fuego CTs that I have are the best that I’ve owned

5. Member
    Most of my baitcast reels are "low end" Daiwa's. They are great IMO. I am switching over all my spinning gear to Daiwa BG's.

6. Member
    I’m a big fan of the Lews LFS reels. They might not be the prettiest or the quietest reels on the market but they outcast nearly every other reel I won, some over the $200 price point. I was a big fan of Lews but had a few issues with some of their mid grade reeels. However if I was looking at the $100 price point, they’d be top of my list followed by the Abu Revo X (same reel as Lews, different styling), or a diawa.

the $100 reels of today would cost $150-$200 10 years ago. It’s ridiculous how much they’ve came along
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

7. Member
    New, or gently used & under-appreciated, and thusly priced as a true quality/value proposition in this price window?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    New, or gently used & under-appreciated, and thusly priced as a true quality/value proposition in this price window?
    I like this. My last Patriarch XT (blue finish) was $65 in excellent condition. Talk about under-appreciated. But not by me.

Any of the Shimano SLX variants would be worth a look. I prefer centrifugal brakes so they would be my choice in that range. If you're partial to magnetic brakes, the Tatula CT's are a nice reel and can be found in that range.

At retail you're there with a Daiwa Fuego CT. They're outstanding reels for the money, basically a Tatula without the t-wing system. As mentioned above, you can usually find Tatulas at $100 as well. There for a while you could find the Tatula Type-Rs all over eBay for right around that price which I personally feel was as good as you'll ever do at that price point. However, they seem to have been discontinued and the few that remain for sale have gone up in price accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by kcinnick View Post
    Most of my baitcast reels are "low end" Daiwa's. They are great IMO. I am switching over all my spinning gear to Daiwa BG's.
    The BG is such a fantastic reel for the money. I have several of them as well as a Tatula LT and honestly feel that the BGs are better reels.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    Any of the Shimano SLX variants would be worth a look. I prefer centrifugal brakes so they would be my choice in that range. If you're partial to magnetic brakes, the Tatula CT's are a nice reel and can be found in that range.
    While I am now a huge Daiwa fan, the SLX is a best buy at $100. I reach for my two often.

12. Banned
    my favorite $100 baitcaster?............A new discontinued/discounted Pflueger Patriarch XT! Bought 4 new ones, all under $100 each! definitely one of my favorite reels ever!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    my favorite $100 baitcaster?............A new discontinued/discounted Pflueger Patriarch XT! Bought 4 new ones, all under $100 each! definitely one of my favorite reels ever!

14. Member
    Shimano Slx XT is a great little reel with upgraded brakes for a touch over 100..

DITTO SLX XT is a solid platform for sure... Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    This is exactly what I was going to say. I have an SLX, the basic one, and it is pretty nice for $100. Been fishing Citica E's for years, and the SLX might be better.
    I am serious. And don't call me Shirley.

Team Lews here.... i do own a few of the BPS Carbonlites but they don't see much action cause i have quite a few Lews spooled and ready

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    Team Lews here.... i do own a few of the BPS Carbonlites but they don't see much action cause i have quite a few Lews spooled and ready
    BPS reels are Lews reels. The Carbonlite is a rebadged tournament MB. The Pro Qualifier reel is a rebadged Lews LFS speed spool
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

19. Member
    Yep, same reels.

Quote Originally Posted by new2BC4bass View Post
    I like this. My last Patriarch XT (blue finish) was $65 in excellent condition. Talk about under-appreciated. But not by me.

Ive got about 5 of the last gen Patriarch blue reels and 6 of the 1st gen Patriarch with the Titanium deposition finish. Just incredible reels and guys were just giving them away.
    Last edited by cart7; 09-16-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast