2017 PT 175 TXW - Want to Upgrade to 24V Trolling Motor

I have a 2017 Pro Team 175 TXW. I'd like to upgrade to a 24V Trolling Motor. I swapped out the Edge for a Minn Kota Power Drive v2 as soon as I got it. Intended to add the iPilot head to the MK, but am really tired of the Power Drive. Want to go back to a TM that has a foot pedal that will fit the existing tray. Looking at the Lowrance Ghost, as I'm probably going to be getting 2 new 9" Ti-2's and want the ability to integrate with the TM.

Have also been looking at a couple new boat options, but not sure I want to make that purchase right now, as just recently retired.

I've spent hours researching and reading everything I can find about how to upgrade from a 12V to a 24V system. I'm pretty sure the 2017 wiring will support 24V. The battery tray in back is setup for a 3rd battery and looks the same as the 2019 and 2020 models. Tracker's website lists following for those 2 years:

"Able to accept 2nd trolling motor battery & up to a 24V trolling motor w/circuit breaker change (dealer installed)"

Interested in hearing from anyone else who has already done this on a 2016-2018 model. Do I need to upgrade an inline breaker or one at the fuse block?

I realize i'll have to change out my existing 2-bank charger. Recommendations on a 3-bank? Also thinking about going with the Connect-Ease 24V Trolling Motor Quick Connects.

2. Member
    First is the wiring that is for the 12V should be sufficient for 24V since the more Volts the less Amps.

You might need to swap the circuit breaker for a bigger one but you would need to check with whichever TM you decide to go with.

Wiring it for 24V isn't hard since it's just a jumper between 2 batteries.

I have a NOCO Gen 3 charger on mine but the Minn Kota and the Dual Pro Professional Series are great choices as well.

Now if you wanted to go ahead and knock it out of the park you could go with Ionic Lithium Batteries and Charger from Andy Council at Drew Craft.

Andy Council (Drew)

910-722-0001
    andy@drewcraft.com

If you were a little closer I would offer to help if you needed it.
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

3. Member
    I installed a 24V on my 2018 PT190. No need for wire upgrade. Since I went with a 70# thrust (Minn Kota Maxxum) my amp draw was within the rated range of the inline breaker so I didn't have to change it.

For a charger I went with the Minn Kota 325 digital (15 AMP, 5 amps per bank). Slightly over $200.00 and fully tops off my batteries overnight.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

You are correct about the wire size it is 6 gauge which is adequate for the amperage. You will need to install a 60 amp circuit breaker. I prefer this style with an integrated switch because most of the variable speed trolling motors recommends that you kill the power to the Tm when charging the batteries. I will leave the battery charger to those more knowledgeable.

I am sure you know how to wire the batteries but just in case:

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

5. Member
    Thanks much!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IMRedeemed View Post
    Thanks much!!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

7. Member
    Just ordered 80 lb Fortrex , 45inch. My Green Outdoors. 1159. shipped. Replacing my 70 Edge which worked ok, but lousy mount.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

8. Member
    Second the choice of that breaker. Installed one in my boat 5 years ago and never an issue.