Thread: Solas Scorpion

Solas Scorpion

Well I finally went a bought a 27 pitch Solas Scorpion to match up with my 250SS and Cougar FTD. What a difference!! For the first time since re-powering the "Bass Cat" trim process worked like it used to and I didn't have to over trim to get performance. The Scorpion lifts the boat and makes it feel light and responsive. Hole shot was better than expected and I was on pad quicker than with the Suzuki 29 pitch 4 blade which did very well getting out of the hole. I was about 3/4 full on fuel and it was just me I will be testing a full tournament load this week on a long run. I was limited on space so I only had the chance to due a few speed runs but very quickly I hit 71mph with minimal trim and plenty of throttle left. I am estimating I will be able to hit 74 to 75 comfortably we will see.

Over all Andy from Team Marine is 100% correct Suzuki needs to get with Solas and make a deal with them. This prop makes the 250SS come to life and I will be buying another one for back up.

2. Member
    That's pretty good Bill. Are you using the Rubex hub kit or something different? I tried the Scorpion 27 as well and my boat barely gets above 65 with it and makes this weird wobbling noise as if something is not balanced. When I pulled the prop, I realized that I didn't have the prop torqued tight enough and that I also might have a bent prop shaft. I used a dial indicator and it has roughly .0003" of bend in it and my dealer says that it should have .00008" of bend as per his service manual. He's gonna check it out with his tools and talk to Suzuki and see what they say.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

Booter, The Scorpion I ended up with is using a Mercury hub kit With the 4 blade 29 I was hitting 71 to 72 consistently but it never felt like it was "singing" it always felt labored. The Scorpion just feels better. I need to get on a bigger body of water on a decent day and see if I can dial it in. I do have some time off scheduled in the coming weeks hopefully the weather cooperates on those days. If not I'll be on Chick in October then I might get a chance to see what it can do.

4. Randy Walker
    I'm running a 4x29P Zuki prop on my skeeter and want to pick up a Solas..

Bill, can you provide specs on that prop... 3 blade 27P? diameter?
    Is it a new unworked prop or something that has been worked to 27...
    Thanks sir ~
    Randy

Hi Randy

Mine is new and you can pick them up between $350 to $450 on ebay

Specs:
    Solas Rubex S3 SCORPION 9561-151-27 135-300 HP Propeller 15-1/8" x 27" MD

6. Randy Walker
    Thanks much sir ~

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onewalker View Post
    I'm running a 4x29P Zuki prop on my skeeter and want to pick up a Solas..

Bill, can you provide specs on that prop... 3 blade 27P? diameter?
    Is it a new unworked prop or something that has been worked to 27...
    Thanks sir ~
    Randy
    Randy, the Scorpion is 15 1/8 inches in diameter and is a 3 bladed prop. I believe the prop that Bill is running is factory.

8. Randy Walker
    Yep, thanks Booter... yeah, figure I will try it out and see how it does on my skeeter. I'm getting good numbers with my 4 blade zuk 29P right now, but will need an extra prop anyway. I did buy a 4 blade 28P from fishingteach here on the boards, which I have not even taken out the box yet.. haha... but think I'm going to sell it and buy a Solas to try out. If I don't like the Solas then I'll sell it and buy another 4x29P zuki prop and be good. I'm only 300 RPMs away from 6300 max rev anyway, so not sure how much more I can get out of the Solas before hitting rev limit... it's cheap enough to try out though.. WAY cheaper than a new Zuki prop.. haha

9. Member
    Good info! I am looking to try one of these as well and from my reading you need to go down two pitches because they are stiff. Can anyone confirm that sounds right? I am running a Fury 27 now at about 5400 rpm so I am considering going down to a 24 on my 250ss although that seems excessive.

Yes my prop is stock from the factory. Over the years I have been dissatisfied with "worked" props and I have personally not had luck with them.

Update: This weekend I was able to do some testing and consistently got a bit over 73mph with me and a partner and a full load of fuel. I was turning right at 5900 rpm. I had all three of the vents closed and hole shot is very good. I have some trim left and a bit of throttle left. The boat feels like it is flying correctly now but I just haven't been able to find the right balance of plate height and trim height to make it work as smoothly as my old setup. With the old setup I could trim and jack it to a certain spot and run 74mph without having to drive the heck out of the boat. It was pretty much effortless. At 73 with the current setup I have to drive it a bit more, it isn't uncomfortable but it is right on the edge of having to really keep on top of the chine.

Overall I am pretty happy with this prop for the SS and I don't plan on chasing more speed because it makes the boat feels much better.

11. Member
    booter, any updates on your prop shaft?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    booter, any updates on your prop shaft?
    Yeah, it's bent by .005 of an inch. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in the next day or two.

13. Member
    I’m waiting on a prop shaft as well ��

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    Yeah, it's bent by .005 of an inch. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up in the next day or two.
    Good luck! At least you know the problem. Sometimes I would lose sleep trying to debug my old motor issues.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    If you hit something, then have ypu considered an insurance claim?

My prop shaft got bent, I didnt even think of Insurance until my Suzuki dealer said that comprehensive insurance should cover it - and it did - just cost me my excess/deductable. Well worth it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    If you hit something, then have ypu considered an insurance claim?

My prop shaft got bent, I didnt even think of Insurance until my Suzuki dealer said that comprehensive insurance should cover it - and it did - just cost me my excess/deductable. Well worth it.
    I checked my insurance and I don't have coverage for the lower unit which would be a $250 deductible. However, I still don't have my boat back yet since the prop shaft is on back order.

17. Member
    My prop shaft will be here Tuesday!!

Bill, How quick is your holeshot fully loaded? I have to say this is the biggest thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on a new Suzuki. I know I can prop it for instant holeshot but I shouldn't have to sacrifice quite a bit of MPH just to get that. It sounds like the Scorpion solved this issue just not sure.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by JoePA View Post
    Bill, How quick is your holeshot fully loaded? I have to say this is the biggest thing that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on a new Suzuki. I know I can prop it for instant holeshot but I shouldn't have to sacrifice quite a bit of MPH just to get that. It sounds like the Scorpion solved this issue just not sure.
    The hole shot is very good. Currently I have all the vents closed. Full tournament load, I carry far to much garbage, full wells and fuel no issues getting on pad. Currently it is on par with how I got on pad before adding power poles.

20. Member
    Sharpen the three blades right up to and over the blade tip. See how much better it runs.